PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Identifying Pens

Polyhistor
June 7th, 2014, 12:14 PM
I may have the chance to buy a couple of these pens for cheap – does anyone know the brand and model names?

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12114&stc=1

Thanks in advance!
Adam

Sailor Kenshin
June 7th, 2014, 12:24 PM
I can't see the pic...just a blue question mark.

Polyhistor
June 7th, 2014, 01:54 PM
I can see the pic, even if I log out.

jar
June 7th, 2014, 02:47 PM

You are seeing what you have in cache. No one else sees them.

Polyhistor
June 8th, 2014, 04:57 AM

I even did clear my cache to find out what went wrong, but Firefox is acting a little weird these days, should've thought of that. Thanks for the tip, though! :thumb:
The problem should be fixed now, I hope.

Sailor Kenshin
June 8th, 2014, 07:02 AM
What you have are three very dangerous radioactive pens that should be send IMMEDIATELY to me for decontamination!

;)

In reality...I love their looks, but is there any identifying mark anywhere? Nib, clip, band? Even if the marks are in another language?

jar
June 8th, 2014, 07:03 AM

I even did clear my cache to find out what went wrong, but Firefox is acting a little weird these days, should've thought of that. Thanks for the tip, though! :thumb:

Look like gen-u-wine NoNamis. As long as cheap means really cheap and all the pieces parts (like a cap for the burgundy one) at worst you get pens to break.

Polyhistor
June 8th, 2014, 07:21 AM
What you have are three very dangerous radioactive pens that should be send IMMEDIATELY to me for decontamination!

;)

In reality...I love their looks, but is there any identifying mark anywhere? Nib, clip, band? Even if the marks are in another language?

Send them by mail and put innocent people in danger?! My conscience would never allow that! :bounce:On the other hand ... see below. :)

Polyhistor
June 8th, 2014, 07:27 AM

Look like gen-u-wine NoNamis. As long as cheap means really cheap and all the pieces parts (like a cap for the burgundy one) at worst you get pens to break.

That's what I thought from the beginning. The offer includes about 70 of those pens for a very reasonable price. I don't know whether they're still available (seller hasn't yet contacted me), but I might just buy them and sell off the better part of the bulk.

Sailor Kenshin
June 8th, 2014, 07:30 AM
If the price really is reasonable, I'd jump on it. I bought a NOS set of WS 333s that worked out to a buck-sixty each and I love them.

Most write wonderfully...some need a little gapping, some need about two seconds of smoothing. I've given some away and kept others as ink testers and everyday writers.

I am INSANELY jealous of you now. ;)

ardgedee
June 8th, 2014, 08:15 AM
You worse than tune up and sell the pens that you don't want for a modest profit, as a way to continue funding your hobby. It's an accepted thing here and more than a couple people do it.

Cob
June 8th, 2014, 10:34 AM
You worse than tune up and sell the pens that you don't want for a modest profit, as a way to continue funding your hobby. It's an accepted thing here and more than a couple people do it.

So far I have done up a few pens and sold them at a loss; typical of many of the hobbies I have had!!

Cob

Polyhistor
June 8th, 2014, 01:18 PM
The pens in question are NOS, no tuning up required, I suppose. But I'm still waiting for a reply from the seller. Well, maybe after the long weekend.

ardgedee
June 8th, 2014, 02:56 PM
You've got a plunger filler and what might be aerometric fillers in the photo. Which means there's always the risk of plastic shells, seals and bladders cracking from age and disuse, and mechanisms that have frozen in place or which were never prepared properly to begin with.

It will depend a great deal on the age of the pens and the environment they were stored in.

Lexaf
June 11th, 2014, 03:39 PM
The pink pen seems a Chinese made piston filler from the 1970. Could also be Italian. Always difficult to tell with 'no names' What is on the nib? Name, logo?
The maroon an gray pens (only one cap?) are almost surely Italian made, early '60's. Cheap plastic with a syringe like piston/plunger filling system inside. The caps of thes kind of (school) pens were usually made of gold anodized aluminum. The hooded nib design was obviously inspired by the famous Parker 51. Unfortunately by far not the same quality. Interesting collectors item though, especially when these are new old stock.

Polyhistor
June 12th, 2014, 11:50 PM
The pink pen seems a Chinese made piston filler from the 1970. Could also be Italian. Always difficult to tell with 'no names' What is on the nib? Name, logo?
The maroon an gray pens (only one cap?) are almost surely Italian made, early '60's. Cheap plastic with a syringe like piston/plunger filling system inside. The caps of thes kind of (school) pens were usually made of gold anodized aluminum. The hooded nib design was obviously inspired by the famous Parker 51. Unfortunately by far not the same quality. Interesting collectors item though, especially when these are new old stock.

Thanks, Lexaf! The offer included not only those pens in the picture but roughly 70 pieces – but the seller has still not responded yet, so I guess they're already gone. :(

vikramguliya
June 16th, 2014, 03:18 AM
Hard luck you shd have bought is earlier as possible

Polyhistor
June 16th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Hard luck you shd have bought is earlier as possible

Yeah, it bugs me that I didn't even get an answer. In hindsight, I think it was better I didn't get a chance to buy the pens. If they had actually been duds, I'd have wasted enough money to get me one nice pen instead.

Polyhistor
June 17th, 2014, 07:44 AM
Alright, I had given up on it too early. Seller contacted me today, says they're all cartridge-operated. No name anywhere, though. And they're mine now, I guess. :)

Lexaf
June 17th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Alright, I had given up on it too early. Seller contacted me today, says they're all cartridge-operated. No name anywhere, though. And they're mine now, I guess. :)

I's always very thrilling to buy a large lot of pens. Strange, that the seller claims the lot is all cartridge operated, because the pens you showed in the picture in your first posting seem obviously piston / syringe fillers to me...
Please keep us informed when you got them and tell something about the varieties and the quality.
I wish you luck with your purchase!
Lex

Sailor Kenshin
June 17th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Cart/con pens. Even MOAR radioactive. Send to me at once for decontamination....

Can't say I didn't try....

Polyhistor
June 20th, 2014, 03:04 AM

I's always very thrilling to buy a large lot of pens. Strange, that the seller claims the lot is all cartridge operated, because the pens you showed in the picture in your first posting seem obviously piston / syringe fillers to me...
Please keep us informed when you got them and tell something about the varieties and the quality.
I wish you luck with your purchase!
Lex

It's a bit strange, you're right. The lady who sells them seems to know little to nothing about pens – yet, anyone who ever used one in school should be able to identify a cartridge filler ... at least that's what I'm hoping for. :)

Cart/con pens. Even MOAR radioactive. Send to me at once for decontamination....

Can't say I didn't try....

If and when I ever get those darn mysterious pens, I promise there'll be a free one or two on their way to mouse-side, wherever that is. ;)

Sailor Kenshin
June 20th, 2014, 08:03 AM
This should be interesting!

paultyler_82
June 24th, 2014, 09:29 PM
The pink one I can't really place a make on because it looks like hundreds of Chinese models I've seen from different makers... just never seen that color. As for the grey and burgundy pens, if I had to guess, I'd say they are likely Wing Sung, though I can't narrow it down to a model number. That maker makes lots of hooded and tubular (Sheaffer Triumph) nibbed pens and likes to put those visulated parts in near the section. I think the seller is correct, these are CC pens, the part showing though the pens' windows appears to me to be a converter.