PDA

View Full Version : British Workers? There's none left.

DavidDecorator
June 11th, 2014, 04:49 AM
I just wanted some opinions on this so I thought I'd put it here.
In the past two weeks I have had two young people not turn up for interview for a trainee Decorator position. I have also had a further three people not bothering to turn up for work only one of which had the courtesy to send a text though ten minutes before he was due to start saying that it would be a waste of time???
Prior to this in the last three months I had to get rid of a young labourer because he was ridiculously slow and spent more time fannying about with his phone than he did working as well as having a bad attitude.
Then there was the Decorator who decided to become an alcoholic and stop going to work.
These experiences have shown me that there is no point in trying to employ British workers because there is no longer any such thing.
Can't be bothered, laziness, lack of interest and pride in the standard of their work, wanting pay beyond their skills and station,
not turning up. That's to name but a few of the negative attributes prevalent in the UK.

So from now on I give up on British workers because quite simply they are ruining my business which is supposed to be my legacy to my children.
I am now only going to employ Eastern Europeans because they turn up when and where they are meant to, they do a good days work for a good days pay. They are grateful to have a job, honest, and they are willing learn.

I believe it is not that British youngsters can't find work I believe that they just can't be bothered to do any.
They are not taking our jobs we just don't want to work so they have come to fill the void.
I've actually had to fly Zuzanas brother over from the Czech Republic to work with me because the situation is so bad that I've had difficulty completing on schedule recently owing to people not bothering to turn up. The knock on effect of which was that I got ill from working for 16 hours a day seven days a week for two months this year just to get jobs done on time.
Anyway back to work somebodys got to do it.

jokeruk
June 11th, 2014, 06:20 AM
Thankfully its not all young people that are like this. My stepson is 19 and spent some time in america last year (for a football scholarship -or soccer for the Americans! - at Oklahoma). It didn't work out, and he came back. Within 3 weeks he had a fulltime job. He doesn't enjoy it, and he's actually going to Liverpool John Moore's university in September, but he's stuck at it - enabling him to get his driving licence and a car and a good holiday this year.

Jobs really are out there for so many people if they would just get off their backside, look for it and graft - even if they don't enjoy it!

Leigh

top pen
June 11th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Generally speaking the aspirations of the youth have increased in recent years and so university has become the norm. With this occurring the hard working youth look towards high payed careers which are not labour intensive as with the building trade.

Wolverine1
June 18th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Also, the easy accessibility to the dole, makes it easier for those young people to go on the dole, rather than do a good days job. They can spend the whole day on the phone, texting, when on the dole.

Scrawler
June 20th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Britain is great. If you can't get a job that suits you, the taxpayers will keep you in comfort and plenty.

snedwos
June 22nd, 2014, 09:27 PM
Having been on job seekers allowance myself: it sucked. It was depressing, humiliating, I was bored out of my wits.

snedwos
June 22nd, 2014, 09:28 PM
It was not comfort and plenty. Merely enough to scrape by.

Plume145
July 4th, 2014, 07:18 PM
yeah, people don't enjoy themselves on the dole. This is a complete (http://www.lexisnexis.com/legalnewsroom/workers-compensation/b/workers-compensation-law-blog/archive/2009/06/25/the-psychological-impact-of-unemployment.aspx) myth (http://www.spssi.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.viewpage&pageid=1457).

And too many people seriously underestimate how much of a difference it makes to have good quality mentoring/guidance/leadership, both during a young person's schooling and in the early years of their adulthood and professional development. Which british children kind of lack, since Britain seems to be (http://www.barnardos.org.uk/news/media_centre/Scandal-of-Britons-who-have-given-up-on-children/press_releases.htm?ref=74051&&year=2011&month=11&topic=1&pageno=1) a pretty child-unfriendly (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/jennymccartney/8871413/Does-Britain-really-hate-its-children.html) society.

People will act how you treat them. If you're treated like you are a massive nuisance or a budding criminal since you're in diapers, the odds are pretty slim that you will reach your late teens as a balanced, responsible and resilient individual capable of valuable contributions to your community. A steady diet of being treated like they are worthless will completely strip most people of what it takes to amount to anything. If your parents are nothing like that, your outlook is better, but you still get that attitude from everybody else, from teachers to strangers in the street. That is a lot of hurt to heap on a fledgling personality.

I'm not saying you, personally, treated these specific young people in such a way - far from it. And believe me, I do understand your frustration with the inability to find a good fit with an addition to your crew. You have a business to run, possibly you have dependents relying on your paycheck, and the super-long recession is just screwing with all our heads, no question about it. But demonizing the young in your country won't help with any of this.

JonV6
December 23rd, 2014, 07:48 AM
I tend to agree with David. We've had a slew of work experience people come through our office the past few months (apparently that's the season) and almost every single one was poor. The main character trait that ran through 95% was pure and utter apathy. It's not that they didn't want to do anything but more that they couldn't be bothered to think for themselves. If they were given something to do they would do the barest of minimums to get it finished. There were a few bright sparks that I encountered but they were few and far between. Not working in the labour industry I don't know what the situation is like but OPs account seems to be similar to my experiences in an office environment. In addition to this, I had some remodelling work done on my house this summer and the majority of the workforce were Eastern European as far as I could tell (I'm not an expert on European regional dialects may I add) and I've never seen a group of blokes work so hard. Sure they had a chat and a laugh as they were going but they were extremely productive and the finished article was perfect. I can't abide these individuals who claim 'they're' coming over here and stealing our jobs. Quite rightly so IMO, if they're prepared to work harder and are better skilled than you why shouldn't they get the job? Just being born in the UK should not, and does not for the most part, give you an automatic right to any form of work above others. Rant over!

Jon