PDA

View Full Version : Circumference cracking along MB MS pen cap??!!

SanDogWeps
June 11th, 2014, 02:04 PM
I have a black resin Montblanc Meisterstuck that the missus got me for my 40th birthday last November (can read the story elsewhere on this forum). Last week, as I was writing I noticed there was a bit of flex as I held the pen by its cap while it was screwed into the base. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that there is a crack around the circumference about a millimeter above the metal opening ring.

I've not beaten it up at all, dropped it ever, used it as a drumstick, nothing untoward. I wear it in my shirt pretty much every day, write with it every day, and can't fathom this thing being so poorly made that in 6 months it would deteriorate. She bought it from an Amazon Marketplace seller, and I have a bad feeling I'll not be hearing back from them after the query I sent last night. Not sure if it was originally shipped in this condition.

That said, anyone know of a repair process for cracked resin? Suspect the local Montblanc store is going to be a mite pricy on the repairs. Thanks in advance for any advice.

tandaina
June 11th, 2014, 02:22 PM
I'd take it to Montblanc. Last I heard any issue not involving the nib was a $70 fee (for modern pens). Know folks who've had basically the whole pen replaced for that price, so long as the nib wasn't affected. Worth trying the seller to start, but I'd have it repaired by Montblanc.

orfew
June 11th, 2014, 06:46 PM
I will second that recommendation. Call a Montblanc service centre. Send them pen and they will replace what is necessary for a flat fee. I have had good experiences with Montblanc service.

SanDogWeps
August 7th, 2014, 04:24 PM
So fired the thing off, and 111 bucks later, they are repairing the thing.

So how can I keep this from happening in the future? The crack was so odd. Can anyone give me some care and feeding tips to keep such a thing from happening again? Besides leaving it in a desk drawer?

orfew
August 7th, 2014, 05:49 PM
So fired the thing off, and 111 bucks later, they are repairing the thing.

So how can I keep this from happening in the future? The crack was so odd. Can anyone give me some care and feeding tips to keep such a thing from happening again? Besides leaving it in a desk drawer?
I am happy that it will be fixed for you. As to preventing this in the future, I think this crack is quite unusual. I have several Montblanc Meisterstuck pens and have used them for years with no special care. I of course have kept them clean but I have not babied them either. I would say to just use common sense. They are very good pens and meant to be used. I hope that you will get many more years of use from yours once it returns to you.

jar
August 7th, 2014, 06:13 PM
First, which Montblanc pen you have would help with suggestions. Can you post a picture of the pen?

I like mango pudding
August 7th, 2014, 06:57 PM
I'd take it to Montblanc. Last I heard any issue not involving the nib was a $70 fee (for modern pens). Know folks who've had basically the whole pen replaced for that price, so long as the nib wasn't affected. Worth trying the seller to start, but I'd have it repaired by Montblanc.

Yep it's $60 plus tax. I has to get the nib adjusted because it was giving really bad dry starts and skipping after every few words or a short five seconds of pausing between writing. They replaced the feed, collar and one other thing while fine tuning the nib . I just picked it up today. They just replaced the feed back in May from a previous service call.