PDA

View Full Version : Thank you cards

tandaina
June 11th, 2014, 02:27 PM
OK. I'm tired of having to write thank you notes with a darn ballpoint because every card I've ever run across is utterly unfriendly to fountain pen (can you say feathering?).

Some of you have to have found cards that hold up to fountain pens? They can be blank, they can say 'thank you'. I'd love if they had pretty designs on the outside but at this point I'm desperate! Help me find fountain pen safe thank you notes!

Jon Szanto
June 11th, 2014, 02:55 PM
I'll be honest: at Target, they have tons of these cards, and there are always a box or two that are priced really low. Like, 4.99 for 20, or even more for that. And, believe it or not, they are just fine. They just have a simple "Thank You" on the front, and are of a decent weight. I'll take a pic when I get home later so you can see, I've got one card with about 16 different ink samples on it, all work.

Dreck
June 11th, 2014, 03:43 PM
I must be extremely fortunate. All of the Thank You cards I've gotten from either Half Price Books or the Dollar Tree/ Dollar General have worked well with no feathering. Some of the coated ones have required severely long dry times, however...

Robert
June 11th, 2014, 04:36 PM
tandaina - I have used Crane's note cards for the past few years. Very happy with the product. Here's a review user Azizah Asgarali wrote last spring:

http://fpgeeks.com/2013/04/crane-co-pearl-white-folded-note-review/

Wile E Coyote
June 11th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Can't help with a card but, have you tried an iron gall ink? I've had pretty good luck with IG inks on some less than optimal papers.

tandaina
June 11th, 2014, 05:58 PM
I don't really write enough notes to have a pen just for that. So I use whatever pens I have inked (almost all italics or flex nibs). Which is probably part of the issue, it isn't a tiny amount of ink from an EF nib. But again, I don't write these things very often.

The Crane looks like it would work, seems well behaved with wider nibs. Thanks. :)

VertOlive
June 11th, 2014, 07:13 PM
I get great ones from the craft store Dollar Bins....Michael's, Joanne's both have fountain pen friendly cards, all very cute.

Lady Onogaro
June 11th, 2014, 07:29 PM
I have had good luck with using a Sailor Carbon Desk pen with cards (so far). I don't know if it is the ink or what, but so far no feathering.

RudyR
June 12th, 2014, 11:58 AM
I don't really write enough notes to have a pen just for that. So I use whatever pens I have inked (almost all italics or flex nibs). Which is probably part of the issue, it isn't a tiny amount of ink from an EF nib. But again, I don't write these things very often.

The Crane looks like it would work, seems well behaved with wider nibs. Thanks. :)

Like you, I have very little to be thankful for. :)

AndyT
June 12th, 2014, 02:35 PM
I have it on pretty good authority that a thin coat of Aquanet hairspray will sort out this issue. Why Aquanet? you ask - no idea, but cheap hairspray is often used as a fixative by impoverished design students so it's worth a go. The more professional solution is gum sandarac or artists' draughting powder.

Since I can't write in a straight line without a guide sheet to save my life, my solution to this is to write my message on nice paper, cut it to suit and fix it in place with a very thin bead of glue down the spine of the card.

mrcharlie
June 12th, 2014, 03:29 PM
I've used both of these with FPs:

Log Cabin Quilt Thank You cards (http://www.daedalusbooks.com/Products/Detail.asp?ProductID=91753&Media=Book)
Swan Courtesy Notes (http://www.daedalusbooks.com/Products/Detail.asp?ProductID=89604&Media=Book)

In general, all the notecards or postcards or journals I've tried from that webstore that were published by Pomegranate or Te Neues have worked with FPs. The ones published by Designers Guild do not; not even close.

Robert
June 12th, 2014, 04:11 PM

Please see PM sent.

GING GING
November 10th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Crane makes a fountain pen friendly thank you card14874

TheRealScubaSteve
November 11th, 2014, 05:39 PM
Peter Pauper stationary (available on Amazon) is very fountain pen friendly, too. I bought a pack when I was first getting into fountain pens to try as they were considerably less expensive than other brands.

fncll
January 13th, 2015, 10:05 AM
I'm addicted to cards, particularly the letterpressed and fine art variety. But I've learned never to even bother with stub or italic nibs...nothing but Japanese F or smaller and inks I know to be very well behaved. I consider it the price of admission.