PDA

View Full Version : Choosing nib sizes by TWSBI

mtnbiker62
June 12th, 2014, 06:30 AM
I was cruising the TWSBI website today, hoping for info about the 580AL, when I came across this advice for choosing a nib size.

A quick no brainer guide in choosing nib sizes in an overly complicated fountain pen world:

If you write very tiny, go with EF
For the normal writer, F nib is the most popular
If you tend to lean on a bigger font, M will be perfect
B is for statements!! Sign in check in B, write a header in B, do some coloring/shading in B
Stub1.1 is an italic writing nib. (have a special card you want to send?)

I have to admit, it made me smile! :)

Silverbreeze
June 12th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Somedays everything I do is proud and bold

snedwos
June 12th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Broad too broad, Fine too fine, Medium out of stock. Humph. (this was when I bought the replacement for my vac. I went with a fine).

VertOlive
June 12th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Love my 1.5 !

Silverbreeze
June 12th, 2014, 06:57 PM
1.5 really is too broad for me as a everyday writer

KBeezie
June 12th, 2014, 07:09 PM
I was cruising the TWSBI website today, hoping for info about the 580AL, when I came across this advice for choosing a nib size.

A quick no brainer guide in choosing nib sizes in an overly complicated fountain pen world:

If you write very tiny, go with EF
For the normal writer, F nib is the most popular
If you tend to lean on a bigger font, M will be perfect
B is for statements!! Sign in check in B, write a header in B, do some coloring/shading in B
Stub1.1 is an italic writing nib. (have a special card you want to send?)

I have to admit, it made me smile! :)

Except when you have a list like EF->Stub, it's going to vary greatly on the brand, since TWSBI and Lamy are on the fatter side of western standard, and if you want to 'write very tiny', a TWSBI or Lamy EF may be too big. Least they would be for my taste. But without making the distinction between Western and Japanese standards (And how some Chinese makers go either way with various models), some people will order one expecting it to be smaller or larger.

For me, it's not just write very tiny but also if you have to deal with random paper that may not be the best quality then the finer the nib, the less likely you'll suffer bleeding/feathering. :P

All the more reason to get every nib size lol. It's a cute guide though, I just wish the rest of the world kind of fit it.