PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from western MA

jfsisler
June 9th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Well I've been lurking long enough. Time to finally get on the ball and introduce myself.

I am a 37 year old legal assistant living in Sunderland, MA. Where is Sunderland? We're about an hour north of Hartford, CT and 30 minutes south of Brattleboro, VT. We're about an hour and a half northwest of Boston, and this part of the state is pretty rural. I'm a native of Virginia (as is my husband) and we've been here 12 years. We came here when he took his job as the UMass football videographer.

I have been a pen addict in general since I was a kid -- summer didn't start until I bought a new notebook and pens to take on vacation. I've been a writer in one form or another since elementary school so I guess the addiction started early. My fountain pen addiction started in high school when my grandmother gave me a Sheaffer Targa for my birthday -- I found one in a catalog and fell in love with it. Needless to say, I got picked on a little in school for using it, but I didn't care. That pen went everywhere with me, but unfortunately I lost it:jaw:

I didn't really start collecting fountain pens until I started flying home to visit my family- there used to be the most amazing pen shop in the Philadelphia airport and it was there that I bought a Waterman Harmonie and fell off the wagon. My next purchase was an Aurora Ipsilon (which I dropped recently and cracked it right down the middle of the barrel) but eventually I fell out of favor with my pens because it was too hard to find ink.

Thanks to the wonders of technology, the internet has enabled me and I don't think there's a cure for what ails me. At least I hope there's not:)

I own a Lamy Safari, an Al-Star, a Cross Aventura, an Esterbrook SJ and I recently won a vintage Sheaffer piston fill with a gold nib on EBay....

I don't have a lot of expensive pens, but the ones I have write very well.

I eventually plan to join the chats on Sunday nights and listen live but I was lured away last time by cake.....lol:bounce:

So that's it in a nutshell. I look forward to getting to know y'all and sharing my addiction....

But it really isn't an addiction......(looks at pile of notebooks not yet used and four bottles of ink).....is it?:jaw:

writingrav
June 9th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Welcome! You'll fit right in!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

goldiesdad
June 9th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Welcome to the forum ....

KrazyIvan
June 9th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Welcome to the forum and welcome to the dark side.

Lloyd
June 9th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Welcome! I lived in Sunderland for several years while in grad school @ UMass. Damn, I miss Western Mass...

jfsisler
June 9th, 2012, 04:50 PM
No way, LLoyd, really? Not in Sugarloaf Estates! How long ago was grad school for you?:)

Lloyd
June 10th, 2012, 01:42 AM
I spent 1991-1993 getting a Masters and 1998-2004 getting a PhD. My in-laws bought our house in Hadley when the job market forced me towards Boston.:cry:

jfsisler
June 10th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Cool, well I doubt Hadley has changed that much since you left. You know how slow the wheels of progress move around here. Are you a native of MA?

Lloyd
June 10th, 2012, 12:43 PM
No. I grew up on Long Island but moved up in 1986 after undergrad for my first "real" job. Do you get to the Montague Book Mill often? I used to love that place.

jfsisler
June 10th, 2012, 07:57 PM
I've never been there. There's a used bookstore in Whately that I've become addicted to. Anyway thanks for the warm welcome. :)

fountainpenkid
June 10th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Welcome!

SweetCaroline
July 3rd, 2015, 02:38 PM
Hello from Western Mass.! Are you still active here?

Hawk
July 3rd, 2015, 07:37 PM
Welcome.

Jeph
July 4th, 2015, 12:54 AM
:welcome:

Wahl
July 5th, 2015, 11:31 AM
:welcome: