PDA

View Full Version : A fascinating find... a Parker Aspergillum?

HeresyHammer
June 13th, 2014, 12:27 AM
For those who don't know me, my handle is HeresyHammer. I'm new to the fpgeek forum. I thought I'd share with you an interesting find that came my way.

To preface this story, you should know that I'm a Catholic Priest. In one of my assignments, as in many homes, there was a junk drawer in the kitchen that looked like it hadn't been cleaned since Grant took Richmond. Being one that likes things to be neat and in order, I decided to clean out the drawer. As I was making my way through rubber bands, pencils, and ballpoints; I came across an something that promised to be a fountain pen. I knew it was a parker immediately because of the distinctive clip. Yet there was something different about this pen. A Chi-Rho was engraved and gold-filled on the barrel of the pen. For those not of the Christian tradition, Chi-Rho are the first two letters in the name of Christ in Greek. The Greek letters are usually depicted one superimposed upon the other. I thought for a second that maybe this pen belonged to a former pastor. When I opened the cap, I couldn't believe it. In place of a standard nib, there was a small chalice like object. It took me a couple of moments to figure it out, but then, like a revelation from on High, I shouted, "it's an aspergillum!" Again, for those not of the Christian tradition, aspergillum is a holy water sprinkler. At first I thought some clever predecessor had changed a normal fountain pen to serve a completely different purpose. As I did some research, I found that parker actually made these things for the clergy back in the day. A brilliant idea, I must add, and one that should be resurrected.

Anyways, I though I'd share some pictures for those who have never seen this type of "fountain pen" from Parker. I would also like to inquire if anyone knows more information about this oddity beyond the fact that it was made by Parker back in the day.

Sincerely,

HeresyHammer

By the way, this has found itself into my daily rotation :)

jar
June 13th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Neat. Parker made aspergillums based on several different models. Yours looks like one based on the Parker 17 which would place it in the mid 60s, contemporary with mini skirts, L'eggs panty hose and the pill.

snedwos
June 13th, 2014, 08:03 AM
I'd seen Chilton pneumatic aspergilla (well, photos, anyway). The prime weapon in St Nibius's arsenal of fountain pen faith.

Tony Rex
June 13th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Welcome to FPGeeks, Father Hammer :welcome:

Quite a nice specimen you've got there. I'm always on the market for those, for my priest friends in our Extraordinary Form Parish. So glad that yours is back in daily rotation! asperges me hysoppo, et mundabor.. :)

Tony

Sailor Kenshin
June 13th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Kewl.

What are the odds on someone who KNEW what this was finding it?

tandaina
June 13th, 2014, 01:41 PM
That is so awesome! I'm an Episcopal priest, and a liturgy geek. Didn't even know these were a thing, will have to keep my eyes peeled. :)

caribbean_skye
June 13th, 2014, 06:18 PM
that is so cool, thank you for sharing

VertOlive
June 13th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Welcome to the forum, Father!

So does this come with a traveling inkwell that looks like an aspersorium ?

scrivelry
June 14th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Welcome to the forum, Father!

So does this come with a traveling inkwell that looks like an aspersorium ?

Or would that be an aspersorium that looks like a traveling inkwell, to match the aspergillum that looks like a pen?

Adhizen
June 14th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Very cool!

Tsuki yo
June 17th, 2014, 12:18 PM
That is a really neat find! I am also a sorter of junk drawers, though I've never found anything quite so cool in one before.