PDA

View Full Version : My First Ever Nib Grind Is a Success!

RayCornett
June 13th, 2014, 02:47 PM
A few weeks ago I received a Carmine Red striated Sheaffer Balance which, just hours after inking it up and attempting to make it wetter, I ended up snapping the tipping off of one tine. Amazing how such a tiny snapping sound can bring such horror to one's face and such a deep sinking to one's heart.

A friend sent me a replacement, a 2 tone #5 Feather Touch which I fell in love with immediately upon first use.

Since then I had been debating what to do with the broken nib. Practice grinding:butcher:, or make it into or part of a piece of jewelry. Last night I decided to practice a grind. I nipped the ends so they would give me an even set of tips to begin with and upon looking at the nipping job under a loupe I decided that it should be a stub nib. So, I patiently and slowly went at it checking my work frequently and much to my surprise I ended up with a decent stub nib. My first. I may do a little more polishing but it does quite well as it is.

So, my mistake turned into a positive and I have my first stub nib which I ground myself. Have to say it is a rather proud moment and a nib I will never get rid of now.

Nomdeplume
June 13th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Good job!

RayCornett
June 13th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Thanks!
I would show a writing sample but my arthritis has been kicking in the last day or, too. But I am pleased and a little proud of myself,lol.

scrivelry
June 13th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Thanks!
I would show a writing sample but my arthritis has been kicking in the last day or, too. But I am pleased and a little proud of myself,lol.

You should be. And now you have whole new thing to enjoy about fountain pens.

migo984
June 13th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Another pen guru in the making........ ? :thumb:

I like mango pudding
June 13th, 2014, 09:35 PM
yup, that's how I learnt how to home-grind my nibs too. I've done about 4 or 5 nibs already.

VertOlive
June 13th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Wow! Kudos! A Master Nib Tinkerer in the making--we can say "We knew you when..."

RayCornett
June 13th, 2014, 11:17 PM
I gave the tip a better polishing a bit ago with some .5 micron lapping film (although most recommend .3 but I did not have any) and wow. Even in basis notepad paper it's a big improvement.

Chi Town
June 15th, 2014, 01:45 AM
Is there a chance we could get a pic of your new nib?

Woody
June 16th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Good on ya. And many more will follow.

RayCornett
June 17th, 2014, 01:16 AM
Is there a chance we could get a pic of your new nib?

I can try but its nothing special really. The only thing different is the tip. Otherwise to the naked it it looks just like the original nib without the tipping.

RayCornett
June 17th, 2014, 01:16 AM
I measured it earlier because I liked how broad it was. 1.4mm and I might take it down a little bit more to make it a 1.5 and stop there.

RayCornett
June 18th, 2014, 12:11 AM
I forgot I did snap a couple shots of the nib that night. Just right my cell phone and an external macro lens. But in one you can see it angled like a chisel. That was right after snipping the ends so they were even. The next two show the profile of the tipping once I was done, and an above view. I forgot to rotate them before uploading :)