PDA

View Full Version : Iconic pen from 1960

Ronnie Aloha
June 16th, 2014, 07:24 AM
I thought it would be fun to find a pen from 1960, my birth year. I'm a newbie who doesn't know much so I was hoping you all could give me some suggestions.

Thanks for the help and allowing me to be a member!

Deb
June 16th, 2014, 07:45 AM
In 1960 you could walk into a shop and buy any one of several Conway Stewarts, an Osmia Supra Progress, an English Parker Duofold Maxima, a Sheaffer PFM, a Pelikan P1, a Parker 45, a Lamy #46 or a Montblanc Meisterstuck #14, to name but a few. Not a bad year!

Tsuki yo
June 16th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Oh there's so much from 60 that is good. Unless you only want something that was released in 60 and not before. Because some great pens were around before then but were still in production, like many vintage MontBlancs, Parker 51's pre-date 1960, but were still in production in 60, and are an excellent pen. You could look at vintage Sheaffer's, Wahl-Eversharps, Omas.

What kind of pens do you have and like already? Do you like flex nibs, round, stubs? I'm a newb too, but some of the people here have been collecting for quite some time, and they can probably give you a good list to start from.

Ed333
June 16th, 2014, 10:58 AM
I think a Sheaffer Pen for Men III is so 1960...that gets my vote. And they are wonderfully good writers. And while not cheap, it won't break the bank.

Ronnie Aloha
June 16th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Tsuki, I have a couple of MB LeGrande pens that I've had for over 10 years. However, I've just been bitten by the FP but and within the last two weeks I've acquired five Metropolitans (mostly F nibs), three Kawecos (AL and plastic sports with XF, F and M nibs.) Stipula Speed in F, Pelikan M200 in fine, Pilot VP in F and a Jin Hao.

It looks like the Pen for Men III might be the way I'll be leaning. It looks pretty nice and I like the snorkel fill.

Ronnie Aloha
June 16th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Tsuki, I have a couple of MB LeGrande pens that I've had for over 10 years. However, I've just been bitten by the FP but and within the last two weeks I've acquired five Metropolitans (mostly F nibs), three Kawecos (AL and plastic sports with XF, F and M nibs.) Stipula Speed in F, Pelikan M200 in fine, Pilot VP in F and a Jin Hao.

It looks like the Pen for Men III might be the way I'll be leaning. It looks pretty nice and I like the snorkel fill.

I also have about eight bottles of Pilot Iroshikuzu ink along with Noodler Blue Eel and a 300ml bottle of Pilot black ink that was a miss order on my part!

Tsuki yo
June 16th, 2014, 10:48 PM
I have a love of Sheaffers, oddly enough, I only have three. None of them are top of the line but I love them all the same. The School Pen we got at a flea market for a dollar, I have a Triumph 330 from ebay that works great now that I've got the twisted tines fixed, and a No Nonsense Calligraphy set Circa '75-'85 that was gifted to me. They are each remarkable pens, for their low cost, and their high performance. My only gripe is that I hate re-filling cartridges with a syringe, and I have yet to spend the $10 to get a converter for them.

welch
June 19th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Parker 45 was released in 1960.

I think PfM dates from about 1959, but it's close enough. See the TV commercial from Jimmy Durante.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMhWQX4JuP4

Ronnie Aloha
June 19th, 2014, 06:31 PM
Is there a way to tell what year a specific Parker was made?

pajaro
June 23rd, 2014, 05:44 PM
Conway Stuart 87.

Runnin_Ute
June 23rd, 2014, 08:01 PM
Is there a way to tell what year a specific Parker was made?

That era - I don't know if you can pinpoint a 45 from 1960, but certainly can from a range of years. I have a 45 Flighter from the 1960's, but I think it is later in the decade.

Here is some information on the Parker 45: http://www.parkerpens.net/parker45.html

Tsuki yo
June 24th, 2014, 07:05 AM
My husbands Parker 51 has 1952 stamped on the nib, but we didn't find that until we took the whole thing apart.