PDA

View Full Version : Your views on pen shows

melissa59
June 9th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Eric mentioned the DC pen show in today's podcast. It piqued my curiosity and brought of up a few questions.

For those of you who attend pen shows, what do you most look forward to?
Do you like hearing the speakers?
Do you go to touch the pens?
Are there great deals at shows that you can't get online?
Do you go to meet other fountain pen geeks (or Fountain Pen Geeks).

My interest in fountain pens came too late to attend the local (well, sort of) pen show, but from what I've read I can expect it to roll back around during Presidents Weekend in 2013. That gives me about 8 months to learn about pens, study market prices and get an idea of what I want to look for in that one special pen, the one I want to bond with for life.:ballchain:

In the meantime, I plan to empty the change out of my purse weekly and, now and then, toss an extra $1, $5 into my change jar to help offset the purchase of the lifetime pen--nothing really expensive, just something a little flashier than my Lami Safari and Hero 616.

ink mixer
June 9th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I have only been to one pen show. Still, I would recommend against going to one unless you have a clear budget. That budget should also include unexpected impulse buys. When you go to a show, you will probably be overwhelmed with beautiful pens. And, unfortunately, you can't buy all of them. I would think that excercising the willpower to defer purchases would eventually make the excercise problematic. I liked my one show (Arkansas), but it was definitely expensive. I apologize for being negative, and I might have too much of a negative viewpoint human behavior. A show is a great experience with lots of enthusiasts in one place, but establish your budget, triple it, and then save some more.

Maja
June 9th, 2012, 05:50 PM
For those of you who attend pen shows, what do you most look forward to? It's a tie---seeing pens I've only seen online or in pen books, and meeting people who I've only seen online or in pen books :cool:
Do you like hearing the speakers? Yes---I love pen show seminars; I always learn a lot from them!
Do you go to touch the pens? Um, yes....but I always ask first ;)
Are there great deals at shows that you can't get online? That's been the case for me, but I only went to the Portland Pen Show (which ran from 2004-2008) and I would say the best deals were on new pens and pen parts (caps, nibs, barrels). Make sure you check out the $5 boxes (or whatever they are now, LOL)
Do you go to meet other fountain pen geeks (or Fountain Pen Geeks). Sure do! Always nice to put a name to a face, but since its hard to read people's nametags as they are whizzing by, it's best to pre-arrange a meet-up.

peterpen53
June 10th, 2012, 05:47 AM
The only show I have visited regularly is our local show in Tilburg, which is a fairly small one compared to what I've seen online from the US shows (and declining, I'm sorry to say). So, shamelessly copying Maja's format (thanks, Maja!) here goes:

For those of you who attend pen shows, what do you most look forward to? Seeing pens I've only seen online and seeing pens that don't get much attention any more, or that I'm not able to find online or in B&M stores.
Do you like hearing the speakers? We don't have seminars, speakers or auctions for that matter. Like I said, it's a much smaller show than you would see in the US.
Do you go to touch the pens? Yes, that's usually no problem. Just be nice and decent. You'll notice soon enough what traders like and don't like. And the pens they don't want touched are usually in locked cases or "backstage".
Are there great deals at shows that you can't get online? There are two groups of traders: 1) those with no affiliation to any kind of store. Here you can often get a great deal, but you really need to look, search and ask if you want anything specific. 2) those who have a webstore and/or B&M store. They usually sell current pens at retail or online prices, but often will grant some kind of "pen show discount".
Do you go to meet other fountain pen geeks (or Fountain Pen Geeks). I won't avoid them, of course, but since only the traders wear badges I could pass any FPG or FPN member without knowing, unless I know them personally. And unless they are Stephen Brown.

goldiesdad
June 10th, 2012, 06:48 AM
I have never attended a show and have one 250 miles away in September. Really thinking of attending but have NO idea what to expect. Are their great deals etc etc ....
I can at least fondle some great pens ...

fountainpenkid
June 10th, 2012, 07:12 AM
I have only been to one pen show so far- the LI pen show, which is relatively small. I didn't know what to look forward to, as it was my first time. I really wanted to see all the pens I could, but meeting people like Paul Erano, Richard Binder, Susan Wirth...etc was really interesting also.

Ian K. was the "speaker" at this show. We wrote postcards using a bevy of Noodler's inks. He had a nice little Martin uke that I played.. (ukulele is one of my favourite instruments, just below the violin in terms of how well I play it).

In some ways, yes. There are many pens that you just can't appreciate without seeing in person. And you can see some really rare pens. I held a solid 14k P51 Vacumatic prototype made in argentina :) Very interesting story behind that. I think I might have been a bit too "touchy" with the pens, and may have made some of the vendors uncomfortable. Now I know to ask a bit more before touching (no, i wasn't repremanded, but I felt that I overstepped my territory). Don't hesitate to ask though! They will pretty much let you touch any pen on the floor if you ask. (from my experience)

For me, being a very young pen person, yes. I made off with ~$130 of stuff for free! (Two great vintage pens, one junker). I think meeting the people really helps, and you might just find something awesome in the junk bin like I did!

Yes! But it was my first show, so I spent most of the time talking to the vendors and learning stuff from them.

Maja
June 10th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I have never attended a show and have one 250 miles away in September. Really thinking of attending but have NO idea what to expect. Are their great deals etc etc ....
I can at least fondle some great pens ...
Well lucky you! :D
There is an excellent article on Richard Binder's website that is a must-read (in my opinion) for those who are going to be attending their first pen show:
http://www.richardspens.com/?page=coll/col_21.htm
Have fun!

j01270
June 10th, 2012, 03:30 PM
I have been to the Miami Pen Show last year and the Atlanta Pen Show this year but my budget takes a hit every time! I love 'um, though.

KrazyIvan
June 10th, 2012, 08:00 PM
I have never been to a pen show but would like to go in the future.

melissa59
June 10th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I'm told there is only one "local" pen store and it's more than an hour's drive away. So a pen show would be the best way for me to see a pen in person and be able to see how it feels in my hand before buying.

For better or worse, the closest pen show is the one in Los Angeles, and from what I've seen online, it's a big one. And my guess is that it caters to those L.A. folks who have money to burn. If I get too overwhelmed, chances are I'll leave with a $20 ink "souvenir" or empty handed.

My goal is to learn, research, study and price pen so I can pick up one special pen that I will forever be in love with.

Then again, if I don't find a job soon, I might skip the show and add another Hero 616 to my collection. :-)

Maja
June 11th, 2012, 01:35 AM
Melissa, if you get a chance to go to the L.A. pen show, go for it! You will see more pens at the show than you've ever seen in your life...and you will get to actually hold the fountain pens in your hand (but ask the dealers for permission first, of course ;) ) and see which one suits your hand better. I have bought many pens online but nothing beats seeing and trying out a pen in person! Oh, and pen shows are not just for the wealthy---the dealers are friendly people who love pens and there are people from pretty much every socio-economic level that come to them. The L.A. show is pretty big (from what I've heard from friends who attended it, but if you can attend the show without having to stay overnight (thus saving yourself some $$....money that you can put towards a pen), then I would not hesitate to do so!

Sailor Kenshin
June 11th, 2012, 06:55 AM
I have only been to one pen show so far- the LI pen show, which is relatively small. I didn't know what to look forward to, as it was my first time. I really wanted to see all the pens I could, but meeting people like Paul Erano, Richard Binder, Susan Wirth...etc was really interesting also.

Ian K. was the "speaker" at this show. We wrote postcards using a bevy of Noodler's inks. He had a nice little Martin uke that I played.. (ukulele is one of my favourite instruments, just below the violin in terms of how well I play it).

In some ways, yes. There are many pens that you just can't appreciate without seeing in person. And you can see some really rare pens. I held a solid 14k P51 Vacumatic prototype made in argentina :) Very interesting story behind that. I think I might have been a bit too "touchy" with the pens, and may have made some of the vendors uncomfortable. Now I know to ask a bit more before touching (no, i wasn't repremanded, but I felt that I overstepped my territory). Don't hesitate to ask though! They will pretty much let you touch any pen on the floor if you ask. (from my experience)

For me, being a very young pen person, yes. I made off with ~$130 of stuff for free! (Two great vintage pens, one junker). I think meeting the people really helps, and you might just find something awesome in the junk bin like I did!

Yes! But it was my first show, so I spent most of the time talking to the vendors and learning stuff from them.

I went to the same show! I think I've been there two, three times. The first time, I 'discovered' the Rhodia mouse pad and J Herbin Cafe des Isles and fell for both of them.

I snagged a full-flex eyedropper with gold nib for ten bucks, and several vintage on-card lower level pens for two each. There are bargains if you have patience.

I also got to meet the kind person who gave me a Sailor 1911, and I always love to watch Richard Binder at work.

Every fountain pen enthusiast should attend at least ONE pen show.

KrazyIvan
June 11th, 2012, 09:02 AM
I have two shows on my radar. Dallas and the Triangle Pen show. Dallas is a 2.5 hour flight away and the Triangle Pen show is a lot further away but I have an excuse to go since my brother lives in Raleigh.

lovemy51
June 20th, 2012, 12:21 AM
i have a complaint. they don't have enough shows in the San Francisco Bay Area and i don't have money to travel. if i travel out of my area i won't have the money to buy any pens.:cry:

manoeuver
June 20th, 2012, 05:55 AM
I have two shows on my radar. Dallas and the Triangle Pen show. Dallas is a 2.5 hour flight away and the Triangle Pen show is a lot further away but I have an excuse to go since my brother lives in Raleigh.
If you're flying to a show, fly to DC. I'll buy you a beer.

KrazyIvan
June 20th, 2012, 11:20 AM
If you're flying to a show, fly to DC. I'll buy you a beer.

I'll keep that in mind. :)

Trillium
July 1st, 2012, 03:23 PM
What kind of beer?? :)

ianmedium
July 8th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I am always surprised that Vancouver does not have a pen show considering we seem so charmed by the number of dedicated pen stores here! If you don't count the 'burbs' then the city of Vancouver has only 600,000 population and yet we have three pen stores plus a number of other places selling mont Blanc or that high end US pen that has a lot of enameling, can't remember the name but they go for over 4K.

If you add in the burbs then I would have thought there would be a good attendance at a show done here. Add in our friends in WA just an hour away in the US and it amazes me even more!

I would love to go to one but seeing as I am hoping to return to Europe by the end of the year then it looks like I will end up going to the midland pen show there which I am really looking forward to!

snedwos
July 8th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Madrid pen show in November, counting down the months! It'll be my first show!

Maja
July 8th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I am always surprised that Vancouver does not have a pen show considering we seem so charmed by the number of dedicated pen stores here! If you don't count the 'burbs' then the city of Vancouver has only 600,000 population and yet we have three pen stores plus a number of other places selling mont Blanc or that high end US pen that has a lot of enameling, can't remember the name but they go for over 4K.

If you add in the burbs then I would have thought there would be a good attendance at a show done here. Add in our friends in WA just an hour away in the US and it amazes me even more!

I would love to go to one but seeing as I am hoping to return to Europe by the end of the year then it looks like I will end up going to the midland pen show there which I am really looking forward to!

Ian, I think it has a lot to do with us being in Canada; most of the big pen dealers (by far) are from the U.S and they would have to go through the hassle of declaring their goods at the U.S-Canada border. The pen show in Toronto (which started out as a half-day show) became a one-day show, but I haven't heard for certain that they will even have one this year....and Toronto is much closer to big American cities (New York, Detroitet al). I wish we had a pen show up here in Vancouver but I really can't see it happening anytime soon (and no, I have absolutely no plans to start one---don't even think of asking, LOL!)

TonicLime
July 9th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I have never been to a pen show. I wanted to go to DC this year but it's not going to happen. Los Angeles in 2013 is looking like a for sure thing. I'm looking forward to trying out pens and learning more about my new hobby :) Also...meeting the FP GEEKS!

melissa59
July 10th, 2012, 01:06 AM
Hopefully that's the one I'll be attending. From what I've read, it's Presidents Weekend.
I'm close enough that I could drive there, spend the day, and drive home. But I don't want to go if I don't have at least enough money for the entry fee and a bottle of ink. So, for now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.