PDA

View Full Version : Hooded nibs like the Sheaffer PFM?

tarheel1
June 16th, 2014, 02:15 PM
I am wondering who all make or have made hooded nibs like the PFM had.http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/Pics/SheafferInlaidNibs05.jpg

pajaro
June 16th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Those are inlaid nibs. Hooded nibs would be like the Parker 51.

tarheel1
June 16th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Ok well who all makes or has made an inlaid nibs?

Wile E Coyote
June 16th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Sailor, Pilot, Waterman...

HughC
June 16th, 2014, 03:39 PM
The Indian maker "Wilson" made a lot of Sheaffer copies with inlaid nibs, Targa style.

Regards
Hugh

mhosea
June 16th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Are there any besides the Waterman Carene in current production? Most pen manufacturers these day are taking advantage of branded (and un-branded) 3rd party nibs and feeds. The Carene is obviously unique in both nib and feed. Seems that only the larger players can still afford the luxury of producing their own, unique nibs, a requirement for inlaid nibs.

Wile E Coyote
June 16th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Are there any besides the Waterman Carene in current production? Most pen manufacturers these day are taking advantage of branded (and un-branded) 3rd party nibs and feeds. The Carene is obviously unique in both nib and feed. Seems that only the larger players can still afford the luxury of producing their own, unique nibs, a requirement for inlaid nibs.

Waterman also makes the Edson with an inlaid nib. Pilot Silvern is currently in production.

raging.dragon
June 17th, 2014, 10:42 PM

Waterman also makes the Edson with an inlaid nib. Pilot Silvern is currently in production.

Sheaffer Legacy Heritage

paultyler_82
June 24th, 2014, 09:18 PM
Not even all of the larger players are producing their own, I'm afraid... Sheaffer's nibs, including inlays, are made by Bock now... not sure if Waterman has outsourced too, but it's a possibility.
The only pen companies I know that still make their own nibs in house for sure are:
Lamy, Montblanc, Pilot, Platinum, Sailor and Aurora.
Pelikan did source (is still sourcing?) some nibs to Bock, nibs made by Pelikan had a 'pf' mark, Bock Pelis did not... not sure if this is still the case or not.

raging.dragon
June 24th, 2014, 10:44 PM
Not even all of the larger players are producing their own, I'm afraid... Sheaffer's nibs, including inlays, are made by Bock now... not sure if Waterman has outsourced too, but it's a possibility.
The only pen companies I know that still make their own nibs in house for sure are:
Lamy, Montblanc, Pilot, Platinum, Sailor and Aurora.
Pelikan did source (is still sourcing?) some nibs to Bock, nibs made by Pelikan had a 'pf' mark, Bock Pelis did not... not sure if this is still the case or not.

The last I read was that Waterman make the nibs for Waterman and Parker (both are owned by Newell Rubermaid).

paultyler_82
June 25th, 2014, 12:05 AM
Good to know, thanks!

Sailor Kenshin
June 25th, 2014, 07:11 AM

I'd love to see the Pilot!