PDA

View Full Version : Guardian article: letter writing is making a comeback

Holsworth
June 18th, 2014, 06:15 AM
As I have only quite recently come across InCoWriMo and rediscovered the joy of writing and receiving letters, this article in the guardian today has caught my eye!

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jun/18/dear-pen-pal-writing-letters-to-strangers

jokeruk
June 18th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Good article - although its a shame there were no men! 😉

I have noticed that writing does seem to be much more a female orientated passion - but, even as a man, I love it! 😆

inlovewithjournals
June 18th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Jokeruk, I received more letters from men than women during the most recent InCoWriMo! Holsworth, excellent article, thank you very much for posting.

Cob
June 18th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Good article - although its a shame there were no men! ��

I have noticed that writing does seem to be much more a female orientated passion - but, even as a man, I love it! ��

Amen to that - but what exactly do you mean "Even as a man?"!

Rgds
Cob

jokeruk
June 18th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Inlovewithjournals - hmm, must be my limited experience. Will have to start writing to many more to even things out!

Cob - Erm, cos it sounded right at the time - maybe not so now! :-)

kataish
June 18th, 2014, 06:51 PM
I love this. And Reddit has several penpal subreddits... penpals is one of them and the other is penpalsover30 (I co-moderate that one, ha!). There are also a LOT of websites and resources that are bigger and not mentioned. I'm surprised it was written as "mostly women". I have many male penpals who I write with... most fountain pen enthusiasts!

VertOlive
June 18th, 2014, 10:01 PM
Ok. "Simple analogue fetishisation"?. That's our team, right? :)

Kidding aside, nice article!

erpe
June 18th, 2014, 10:46 PM
I have noticed that writing does seem to be much more a female orientated passion - but, even as a man, I love it! 
Just a hunch but I think that for now, handwriting is considered softtech and men don't like to admit they enjoy it. A bit like moisturizer and hair-dying. If you see the sales figures, you might conclude that every man is doing it but if you ask around, you won't find them :)

jokeruk
June 18th, 2014, 11:53 PM
Quote possible erpe - although I do moisturise and I admit it;-)