PDA

View Full Version : FPR Guru Review

seasponge
June 22nd, 2014, 03:15 PM
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2920/14482537894_9e9e43417d_c.jpg

My first review. Hope this is useful!

snedwos
June 22nd, 2014, 09:09 PM
I like it a lot, it feels much more solid than the dilli. Also, I got it for $0.01. Which was awesome.

AtomicLeo
July 9th, 2014, 07:38 PM
I loved MBA with the flex. The Dili with flex nib was disappointing, then the piston popped off after 6 months. Does the Guru feel like a better build?

gbryal
July 10th, 2014, 01:02 AM
I did some writing a few hours ago with my Guru, I have the EF and the line is saturated and even with Waterman's Serenity Blue, I was really happy with it.

Build quality, it seems to be pretty much the same as the Dilli to me.

snedwos
July 10th, 2014, 08:13 AM
I think it's much better built than the dilli. And it's made out of better plastic. I had the same with the dill is piston, but it only took a few days! I did disassemble it, though.

Jamerelbe
August 1st, 2014, 06:41 AM
If I recall correctly, the Guru is made for FPR by Serwex - and based on one of their existing models (the Serwex 162), though to a higher production standard. I think the Dilli's a slightly 'nicer' looking pen - the clip especially is made of higher quality metal - but the big advantages with the Guru are (1) a simple ebonite feed, rather than plastic, and (2) it can be fully disassembled for cleaning and lubrication of the piston. I've got two of each -I prefer the Guru.

Austin_Malone
August 2nd, 2014, 09:30 PM
This one sort of reminds me of a Parker Vacumatic.

snedwos
August 3rd, 2014, 06:13 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/04/yvubunub.jpg

Only sort of?

Austin_Malone
August 4th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Ha! That's funny!

seasponge
January 31st, 2015, 08:52 PM
SECOND LOOK REVIEW:

Having used this pen a bit more, I can't say I like it as much as I did on first impression.

Main grouses:

- It dries up quickly.
- This is the first demonstrator I've had, so perhaps this is something common to all transparent pens (comments anyone?), but it doesn't take long for unsightly droplets of ink to gather on the inside of the pen cap.
- The metal clip rusts. And stains its plastic groove. So be careful about not getting water on it when disassembling/rinsing your pen.
- The nib has the occasional tendency to fling little droplets of ink about the place, which makes this not so convenient for an 'EDC', but perhaps I didn't tune it nicely enough.
- The SMELL. Again, a personal grouse, and common to pens of this material, e.g. Noodler's.

Major plus points:
- Great nib
- with line variation even in the standard nib!
- at a nice price.

Conclusion: Cheap and cheerful introduction to nibs with some flex, and also a budget demonstrator if you choose this version, but don't expect a revelationary experience.