PDA

View Full Version : TWSBI 540 gives up the ghost

Woody
June 24th, 2014, 06:08 PM
My TWSBI 540 gave it up today. It didn't crack where I thought it would crack though. The crack I found appears on the barrel just below the twist mechanism. As this was an original 540 diamond I rather think that any parts would be unavailable or warranty would be far gone. Curious it would crack in this area. I didn't think there was that much pressure in that area. Have already gone thru one section crack.

Mags
June 24th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Send it back or email them direct. I believe they had enough issues they may have made a number of extra parts.

ChrisC
June 24th, 2014, 08:50 PM
580 and 540 have interchangeable everything afaik. Barrel, cap, piston knob, piston mechanism. Send an email to Speedy and he'll take care of you.

Woody
June 24th, 2014, 08:59 PM
580 and 540 have interchangeable everything afaik. Barrel, cap, piston knob, piston mechanism. Send an email to Speedy and he'll take care of you.

Good to know thanks everyone.

littletim
June 24th, 2014, 09:53 PM
My 540 cracked at the poison knob just about two months ago. New piston was sent. It took me a little fiddling with it to get the piston right.

snedwos
June 24th, 2014, 11:01 PM
Mine is doing the same. I've taped it up, and plan to use it until it gives out, but I probably won't get it replaced. I've had too many issues with my twsbis.

lisantica
June 25th, 2014, 06:38 AM
I agree with the statements about giving TWSBI a chance to make it right. I have had prompt, excellent service from them.
I admire their attempts to put an affordable piston filler into the marketplace.

jacksterp
July 6th, 2014, 03:53 PM
Mine is still chugging along.

Hope it continues to do so as I like it quite a lot.

Good luck all...

ChrisC
July 6th, 2014, 07:19 PM
I would judge TWSBI more on the 580 than 540. The 580 corrected many of the previous flaws, like:

from the usual product descriptions:
Improved grip and end barrel section compared to 540
580 has increased ink capacity, about 30% more than 530
580 has improved the smoothness of cap thread turning
580 shows you our promise on continuous product improvement on small details

and also much less cracking issues

I think TWSBI is one of the best, if not the best in the $50 and below range. The ink capacity and caliber of nibs is quite amazing for that price, especially for a new company. Ink capacity is greater than an M1000. Just thought I'd throw that in, too.

Newjelan
July 8th, 2014, 03:01 AM
Both of mine cracked in the same spot - in the barrel just below the twist mechanism. This was after only a few months of gentle use. Having never damaged a pen before or since, I'm done with TWSBI. I really liked those pens and while I hear their customer service is excellent in the US, their response to those of us further afield has received considerable criticism. On top of that, the inconvenience and uncertainty I'm left with as a result of their poor quality control is not good enough IMO, so my money has gone elsewhere.

Austin_Malone
July 10th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Personally my 580 has been great, and when the nib came busted they sent me a new one for free. Seriously, very durable, and reliable.

jadehawk
July 28th, 2014, 07:58 PM
According to TWSBI they have changed the type of plastic used and its more durable.. It should eliminate the cracking issue that the original 540 had.. There is a link of a video from TWSBI that shows them testing the new platic.. I own 2 TWSBI 580 but I have not had them long enough to assure anyone anything..
here is the link to their video if anyone is interested..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=372340086141445&set=vb.117058861669570&type=3&theater

nigh means near
August 3rd, 2014, 12:23 PM
I love my five eighty also. It's a great writing pen, and seems really durable. I've also got a Vac 700 and a Classic (which is actually my favorite pen in the line).

Sketchy
August 3rd, 2014, 01:29 PM
All that remains original to my 540 is the nib unit. Philip at TWSBI has always, quite Speedily, replaced each part when it cracked...including the barrel. I now call it a TWSBI Diamond 560 and through it all, it has been and remains one of my most trusted pens.

snedwos
August 3rd, 2014, 01:42 PM
All that remains original to my 540 is the nib unit. Philip at TWSBI has always, quite Speedily, replaced each part when it cracked...including the barrel. I now call it a TWSBI Diamond 560 and through it all, it has been and remains one of my most trusted pens.

I call mine that too! After I was charged to replace the cap on my Vac though, I decided I wouldn't replace the barrel on it. Repositioning the inner piston ring seems to have closed the crack up for now. I need to be careful when I operate the filler now. I might put in some glue at some point.

Basu988
August 4th, 2014, 01:44 AM
Even my barrel's broken.I was writing my assignment yesterday.Suddenly, it stopped itself. Need help.

Basu988
August 5th, 2014, 06:03 AM
How to replace the barrel in any chance??

Basu988
August 6th, 2014, 04:49 AM
How can i replace the barrel? Can anyone tell me?

velo
August 7th, 2014, 05:08 AM
Email TWSBI for a replacement?

Basu988
August 7th, 2014, 06:48 AM
I think the barrel problem can be replaced but it will take a long time.

mrcharlie
August 7th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Contact TWSBI customer service; they might want you to email them a picture of the cracked barrel and will probably send a new one. You can unscrew the section with the nib unit, peel off the o-ring that seals the cap to the barrel, and use the little wrench that came with the pen to remove the piston unit. If it is currently inky, rinse everything off and flush the nib and feed.

Goulet has a youtube video about how to re-set the piston to the right place before screwing the unit back into a new barrel. There is a little container of grease to use just little on the piston before re-assembly. Roll the o-ring into its groove and screw on the section.

davefeldman
August 12th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Although it might be a but ugly, some gel super glue can help with cracks like that. I usually flush and dry the pen thoroughly, then apply some with a toothpick, trying to get it in the crack. If you just hold some against the crack with the toothpick flat for a second or two, capillary action (our good friend) helps take the glue into the crack. Often helps keep a pen writing! But, try it at your own risk, of course! Don't get stuck!

My TWSBI 540 gave it up today. It didn't crack where I thought it would crack though. The crack I found appears on the barrel just below the twist mechanism. As this was an original 540 diamond I rather think that any parts would be unavailable or warranty would be far gone. Curious it would crack in this area. I didn't think there was that much pressure in that area. Have already gone thru one section crack.

serpent
August 12th, 2014, 11:40 AM
If you pull the piston out without rotating past the point of over extending the shaft. There is no need to have to reset the assembly.