PDA

View Full Version : Hero 1000 - a Chinese pen of exceptional value

Murfie
June 24th, 2014, 11:29 PM
After a substantial break away from the camera during which time I had to pack up and move house, I am back on the lens after finally unpacking and setting up the light box. To get into the swing of things again, I have chosen a relatively inexpensive pen that for me, represents very good value for money.

The subject matter is the Hero 1000, another of Hero's Parker 51 look-alikes. It is obviously not intended as a direct copy of the P51, as there are numerous cosmetic and weight differences, but anyone liking the 51 would probably enjoy writing this this fellow. Size wise, it is so close to the 51 any difference is not worth enumerating. It is in the weight department where the differences show out. Compare the Hero specs' 11.1gm, 11.1gm and 9.5gm for barrel, cap and the remainder, to the Parker's 3.6gm, 7.8gm and 8.6gm. Total weight is 31.7gm for the Hero and 20.0gm for the Parker. The big difference in the barrel is down to the metal of the Hero versus the plastic of the Parker. Oddly, in the hand when writing, you are not aware of such a difference as the Hero remains well balanced. Filling systems are similar.

The Hero comes with a 10kt gold nib that, out of the box, was a little harsh and needed some attention on the micromesh. However, after doing that it really performs very well and has a generous ink flow not requiring any adjustment.

I purchased this pen as via an eBay buy-it-now offering from a Hong Kong based seller. With shipping it set me back just AUD$39.20 (circa USD$36). It's a pen that spends a good percentage of time in my inked rotation.

Brisboy
June 24th, 2014, 11:40 PM
Interesting pen, thanks for sharing. Looks like a cross between a 51 and a 45.