PDA

View Full Version : Pel' m400 Torty VS. Eversharp Doric....help!

fountainpenkid
June 11th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Now I'm doubting myself as I wait for my dad to get his paycheck so he can buy the m400 white torty....

This thing really is getting to me: http://www.etsy.com/listing/100791747/wahl-eversharp-doric-fountain-pen?ref=v1_other_2

These have the very cool ink shuttoff valve, along with adjustable nibs, and great see through bodies for their vac filler. The celluloid is very prety of course. But has anyone had any problems with one of these pens? Does the shuttoff work? Do they leak? And are the vac fillers problematic (more so than a regular one?)

I think the eversharp is equal in beauty to the white tortoise...so I am stuck there... any comments or experiences would be very helpful!

Will

wahlnut
May 24th, 2013, 02:18 AM
Eversharp Doric Plunger (one plunge Vac fillers)pens if serviced properly before being put up for sale or after acquisition by a new owner should perform almost as long as a lever filler sac pen. I said if serviced properly. If you are buying one make sure it has been properly serviced. That would entail new modern plunger gasket, silicone lubrication of the inner barrel and making sure the packing unit at the rear of the barrel maintains a good air seal. The much too maligned shut-off mechanism is very effective provided the shut off seat washer has been renewed with one of the proper dimensions. That is one part of a normal Doric restoration that I know most restorers overlook or don't know exactly where it is and how to get the old one out and how to fit a new one. Those do need to be replaced every couple of years or so, but they are easy to do if you know how or if have access to a qualified restorer. Forward and back postage would cost more than the renewal expense for a new shut-off gasket. And again if properly set up they will be equal or better to a sac pen when it comes to leaking.
Hope that helps

Jon Szanto
May 24th, 2013, 02:24 AM
Not to mention the Doric is about 14,532 light years better looking than those white elephants. As the guy on the radio ad says: "This is the biggest no-brainer in the history of mankind!"

snedwos
May 24th, 2013, 05:07 AM
Both beautiful pens. I don't share Jon's opinion on the difference in appearance, but +1000000 to his "biggest no-brainer" appraisal!

Good luck with it! I am GREEN with envy.

snedwos
May 24th, 2013, 05:09 AM
He does seem to only have one in black, with a lever filler (which won't have the shutoff, I believe). And no adjustable...

tandaina
May 24th, 2013, 09:51 AM
I'd take the Pelikan... But I like to swap nibs and the tortoiseshell look is my FAVORITE. I ADORE the white torti M400 I got from a member here. ADORE it.

Jon Szanto
May 24th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Heh, just to be clear: they are both nice pens, and we all have our individual aesthetic viewpoints. That's one of the reasons I frequently just don't get when people post things like "which one should I get?". Ultimately, it has to be the person's own choice.

But as to white pens? I put them right up there (or down there) with white chocolate: ick. Double ick. YM, and taste buds, MV. ;)

fountainpenkid
May 24th, 2013, 12:51 PM
I should say that I ended up with the white torty. I think the white torty is nice, but not as nice as a doric in purple celluloid.