PDA

View Full Version : A Set of Pilot 78G Pens PIF

Murfie
June 27th, 2014, 12:30 AM
​THIS PIF IS NOW CONCLUDED

I'm overdue to offer a PIF on FPG. This one is intended for any newer members that are looking to broaden their experience with fountain pens, but any member may enter. On offer is a set of three Pilot 78G pens, in colors of black (Fine nib), teal (M nib). and green (B italic nib). This model can use Pilot ink cartridges or a Pilot converter and a CON-20 is included with each pen. These pens have gold plated steel nibs.

The black and teal pens are new and have never been inked. From memory I may have filled the green one once, but I'm not sure. Boxes are not included with the pens.

Free airmail postage to any country in the World is included as part of this PIF.

To enter please post a response to this thread telling us when you started using fountain pens and for what reason or purpose. Entries close midday on Friday, July 4th GMT and the winner will be selected at random and announced the following day.

Photos of the three pens are shown below ...

Kukuzovac
June 27th, 2014, 03:16 AM
Relly nice PIF. Thank you for this opportunity. I started using fountain pens about 8 months ago. I was cleaning my house and some old drawers. In one of them I found my mother's old Pelikan 400 she got from here late Uncle. I filled it with Lamy Blue and rest is history. Now I can't let them out of my hand and I try to convert as much people as I can. :)

jokeruk
June 27th, 2014, 05:20 AM
Wow, what a great PIF!

I actually started about a year and a half ago, with a Parker Frontier. However, I was only really using it at work and with the cheapest of the cheap WHSmith cartridges.

That started playing up and I ended up getting a Lamy Al Star given to me for my birthday in May. And that was the beginning! I loved using the pen and ended up getting a converter for it and a couple of inks.

Now I'm hooked, taking almost every opportunity possible to write. Writing a journal, writing to some wonderful people from this forum and everything else in between.

Bought myself another limited edition Lamy (safari this time) along with another ink, and want to build my collection further.

I've even bought my son a fountain pen as he loved mine! Only a cheap one for now, but it actually writes really quite nicely!

Chatting on this forum is great, and there is a wealth of information here that I'm slowly absorbing.

So there you go, that's my story!

Leigh

Empty_of_Clouds
June 27th, 2014, 05:21 AM
Cool PIF!

I have a fine and a broad already so I won't enter this one. What I will say is that new users should jump in here because I found that broad (stub) nib was an absolute revelation to me and a joy to write with. Much fun!

DMurphy
June 27th, 2014, 06:12 AM
I started using fountain pens about a year ago with the purchase of a Zebra disposable pen. Unfortunately that was not a great writing experience and is was disposed. I was able to purchase a Monteverde Prima and that changed my writing, I now always have a fountain pen in near proximity. I have also found that the quality of the ink makes a huge difference.

My reason to start using a fountain pen is that my handwriting was horrid, using a fountain pen I slow down and draw the letters and have started writing and sending letters to friends and family. I have also found that in slowing down to write that I have more clarity in my writing. As a person who is getting older exercising the mind is becoming far more relevant for me.

I would love the opportunity to possess and use this PIF and hope that in the future I will be in a place where I am able to PIF myself.

cbrand493
June 27th, 2014, 07:23 AM
I started using fountain pens around 7 months ago when my maths teacher at high school gifted me a Waterman Hemisphere after I showed an interest in his extensive collection (He has everything from MB to Pilot to Platinum to Monteverde. Vintage and new.). Since then I have purchased a Faber Castell Ambition and received a Baoer 051 as a PIF.

Holsworth
June 27th, 2014, 11:03 AM
What lovely looking pens - that broad italic looks particularly exciting. My Fountain Pen revelation came about 3 or 4 months ago when a friend posted a photo of a TWSBI mini on instagram. I'd been looking at calligraphy around then as well, and purchased a Lamy Joy with 1.5mm nib on a trip to London when we stumbled across a very pretty stationery shop. I'm now taking at least 3 (of the 5 I've acquired) different pens to work with me every day and trying to spread the FP love! I'd definitely love to be able to try out some of these different nibs!

Thanks for the opportunity!

Al_S
June 27th, 2014, 11:50 AM
I started using fountain pens in March when I finally broke down and ordered a metropolitan. I was quickly hooked & began ordering pens and inks for myself & also shared the hobby with my daughter. My favorite so far is still my metropolitan, but with a medium italic nib I added from a Plumix--it is such a joy to write with. I'd be really interested in trying out the bold italic. I use the pens regularly for work, notes, journaling, etc. Thanks for the opportunity!

redmanca
June 27th, 2014, 12:54 PM
I started last winter when I finally ordered a Lamy Safari. I've lost two other pens (another Safari and a Preppy) , and gave one to my wife (Pilot Parallel), so I'm still at one pen. I have a Jinhao x750 coming sometime in the next month (!), but the prospect for new pens beyond that is bleak. I teach Ancient and Medieval history and lit at a small private school, and pens don't come into the small budget very well.

Thanks for the opportunity!

Bold2013
June 27th, 2014, 01:51 PM
I started using fountain pens 8 months ago because I write extensively at work and wanted something to suit my style better than ballpoint pens. I would really enjoy these pens. Rochester Mn, USA.

Thanks

bc.hiker
June 27th, 2014, 07:49 PM
Many thanks to you for this fabulous opportunity!! I went to a garage sale about 2 months ago and saw a fancy velvet box, opened it up and inside was a pen. I bought it for $1 and took it home. All the while I thought it was just a nice looking ball pen.....opened the velvet box, took the cap off the pen and saw that it was a fountain pen!!! What a surprise. It had no ink so I bought a cartridge and voila!! It was fantastic, a trip back in time and what a joy it was. The pen was a Sheaffer Targa in excellent condition and I still can't believe what good luck that was. Well, it really has changed my life and started a journey that has been so much fun and which has led to many more joys and surprises. Trying out new inks, finding forums, friends, luxurious paper to write on, pen pals, on and on. So I'm very new at this but am enjoying it a bunch.

I don't have any Pilot pens and have never tried one but would love to be able to use one. Please include me in this great PIF and thanks again for this offer!! :)

RayCornett
June 28th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Very nice PIF!

I obtained my first fountain pen earlier this year. Actually it is not mine but on permanent loan. I found a 1949 Sheaffer Touchdown Statesman FP/pencil set still in its box in a drawer in my fiances grandparents writing desk after he father had passed and we needed to sort through belongings. It had old ink in it but after flushing it out it worked just fine. It was obviously well cared for as physically it looked like it had never been touched.

I use my pens for everything from letter writing to family, to note taking while out and about, as well as drawing. These would make excellent daily carry pens as well as pens to be used for drawing.

mtnbiker62
June 28th, 2014, 09:49 PM
What a great PIF...thanks for offering it. I started using fountain pens about a year ago, as part of an effort at personal reinvention. I work professionally in the IT field, and felt a need to reintroduce some analog skills and experiences into my life. I started journaling and writing, and that led to the desire for a more personally involved and satisfying writing experience, so I decided to try a fountain pen, and the rest is history. Now if I could just use up all of those Moleskine notebooks that I stocked up on, so that I could get some fountain pen friendly journals, I'd be a happy camper!!

Murfie
June 28th, 2014, 09:59 PM
I work professionally in the IT field, and felt a need to reintroduce some analog skills and experiences into my life.
I spent 33 years from 1974 until 2007 working as a software engineer. In that whole time I was the only one in my work groups who could touch-type (90 wpm) on a keyboard and the only person who used a fountain pen to make written notes and drafts.

ModelAirplanes
June 30th, 2014, 02:53 PM
HI THIS IS MY FIRST POST
I think I may have the strangest or weirdest reason for falling in love with fountain pens, I first saw a fountain pen when I was watching a k-drama (korean drama), i then proceeded to find the cheapest fountain pen on ebay and bought it, it was a hero 369 and wast one of the worst experiences ever. I tried smoothing it out with sandpaper and as i have learned, it made a bad situation worse. Anyhow it was a 3 dollar loss and didn't bother me much. My next pen was a parker vector and now I own a muji fountain pen which i love. But to this day i am still trying to identify the pen that was used in the drama and when I do I may have to buy it!!

Many Thanks
Daniel

Murfie
June 30th, 2014, 04:39 PM
HI THIS IS MY FIRST POST
Welcome aboard, Daniel. I hope you will find your association with FPG is stimulating and adds to your interest in fountain pens.

SDE352
June 30th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Great PIF! I started using Fountain Pens about ten years ago. I had a few Rollerball pens and one day decided to buy a fountain pen. Waterman Expert Blue and Black. It has been down hill ever since. The funny thing is I have never tried to write with a fine point fountain pen. I only have Medium, Broad, and italic nibs. I lean towards Broad on most of my pens. I have been thinking about trying a fine nib pen and this would be a great way to try one.

Thanks for the opportunity to win.

Murfie
June 30th, 2014, 06:38 PM
OK, there are currently 13 entrants for this PIF that closes Friday 4th July, at noon GMT. The pens are already packed and just require the address of the lucky winner. They will be posted from Australia just after midnight on Sunday 6th July GMT.

faithdonna
July 1st, 2014, 12:13 PM
The start was actually teaching myself calligraphy with dip pens around last April. Then I got to a point that I wanted something portable to write with that could emulate dip pens if I were outside the house. I remembered a friend posting a video of herself doing pointed pen calligraphy with a fountain pen, and that my dad had a stash of pens in storage. I managed to clean and revive some of these old pens. One I gave to a younger sister.

I mostly use fountain pens now for drawing/doodling and I love using a fine/extra fine line for that. I also love writing to the lovely people I have met in this community. :)

Thank you so much for the opportunity!

Murfie
July 2nd, 2014, 08:46 PM
This PIF finishes tomorrow. Get your entry in if you don't want to miss out.

Murfie
July 4th, 2014, 05:50 AM
And the WINNER IS bc.hiker! Yay!

He/She has been notified via PM and has 7 days to respond with an address to which to send the pens. Should they fail to respond by then, the pens will go to the runner up, who will remain anonymous for the moment but who has also been selected.

RuiFromUK
July 4th, 2014, 06:02 AM
Congratulations bc.biker. You will enjoy those pens I am sure as they write very well.

essp9
July 4th, 2014, 08:08 AM
Very new here and Im still getting used to the format, I found the notifications icon yesterday!!! This looks Like a great opportunity- I got a beautiful Pilot Cocoon from a client a couple of months ago.. very nice to use, but would love to try a broader Nib by them.

I used to have a Parker vector in collage... Never forgot the slightly greening of the Blue Black ink after a couple of months! But working in bars and eventually going to uni, I nearly forgot about the pen!.. and unfortunately the lectures go so quickly a ball point is all you can really write with... But I did buy a Jotter set, BP and Pencil for my final year- and it reminded me that I had a vector FP somewhere which I eventually found and occasionally I would use it to write correspondence.

Fast forward to about 10-months ago I started to work in a stationary and Pen shop in Hay-on-Wye and have found Lamy, nib changes, converters and the wonderful world of ink! I now carry my Lamy ST or a Safari everywhere!

By all means Include me in the PIF, as I said I would love to try the B nib by Pilot... But thought that it would be nice to share my FP Beginnings.

Stef

bc.hiker
July 4th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Oh my GOSH!!! Can't believe I won this fabulous PIF!!! So excited!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! Oh my, this is SO cool!!! :dance3:

mtnbiker62
July 4th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Congratulations!!

DMurphy
July 4th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Congratulations!!

Murfie
July 4th, 2014, 04:57 PM
Can't believe I won this fabulous PIF!!!
bc.hiker has claimed her prize by sending me her address. Her pens will be shipped first thing Monday morning.

While I am in a philanthropic mood, I will be conducting another PIF shortly. This one could appeal to many members. Keep a watch on this forum in the next couple of days when I will post the details.

Many thanks to all those who participated and for your interesting stories about how you got involved with fountain pens. I'm saw we all enjoyed reading those accounts.

VertOlive
July 4th, 2014, 10:44 PM
Congrats to bchiker and kudos to murfie for the generous PIF!

peregrinesfury
July 7th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Just started using fps (lamy safari). Im using it to catalog my electrical engineering notes so I have a physical archive of what ive learned. I could definitely use a few more so its easier for me to switch colors.

thanks for the opportunity!

edit: just saw that its been awarded already, oops.

Congratulations!

bc.hiker
July 20th, 2014, 07:10 AM
Murfie, the pens were delivered late yesterday!! Just wanted you to know they arrived without a hitch and that they're WONDERFUL!!! Thank you so much for your generous PIF. So excited to now have the opportunity to try out not one, but three very cool Pilot pens!!! The ink will be flowing today!!! Thank you so very much.

Kathy

Murfie
July 20th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Murfie, the pens were delivered late yesterday!! Thank you so very much
You're very welcome, Kathy. Good to hear that our respective mail systems continue to work well together. Enjoy!