PDA

View Full Version : Chronicle of Higher Education editorial:Cursive Dead?

Nomdeplume
June 27th, 2014, 02:55 PM
http://chronicle.com/blogs/conversation/2014/06/27/ive-seen-the-writing-on-the-wall-and-it-is-in-cursive/?cid=pm&utm_source=pm&utm_medium=en

Lady Onogaro
June 27th, 2014, 02:59 PM
It sounds like Camp Cursive isn't just cool--it's necessary.

I teach at a university and have not found this to be a problem, but it is true that students type most assignments, so I don't see their handwriting much. I don't remember anyone's handwriting screaming out "I don't know how to write using cursive," but I guess it could be coming. Most of my students' handwritten work is in cursive, so maybe Louisiana schools are still teaching it (most of our students are from Louisiana).

bitterwonder
June 27th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Thanks for posting.

Brisboy
June 27th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Wish I could go to camp cursive, sounds awesome. I hope educational decision makers around the globe start paying attention to this.

orfew
June 27th, 2014, 11:26 PM
I love this "The prize? A fountain pen of course"

erpe
June 28th, 2014, 12:21 AM
This is not yet a problem in Europe but it might become one soon. We can only hope that parents take the responsibility to fill the gaps that modern education leaves.

Jon Szanto
June 28th, 2014, 01:55 AM
I don't bemoan the fact that cursive handwriting is being lost. I bemoan the complacency with which individual expression is being lost. The fact that your words are different than mine is one thing; the fact that they look different, in a very personal way, is another level of human expression entirely.

leprechaun
June 29th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Don't know how dead it is. It is in the curriculum of Florida Public Schools, which aren't typically the best in the nation. My daughters are learning starting in third grade.

Tracy Lee
June 30th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Don't know how dead it is. It is in the curriculum of Florida Public Schools, which aren't typically the best in the nation. My daughters are learning starting in third grade.

It is out of most schools in Orlando and over here in Brevard County so Florida is falling slowly too. Glad you are somewhere it is holding on.