Here's info about this year's Michigan Pen Show:

http://www.michpens.com/html/mi_pen_show.html

I'll be there!

VertOlive
June 29th, 2014, 02:18 PM
YES!

VertOlive
October 3rd, 2014, 04:57 PM
Drat! Husband on call so no child care. So staying home. So....post pics, ok?

00Photo
October 5th, 2014, 10:26 PM
Two weeks away bump. Can't wait bump. I'm not going to buy a pen, just look at them bump. Ok I'll probably buy a pen bump.

earthdawn
October 6th, 2014, 01:30 AM
I can't say who yet... But there will be Fountain Pen Day swag at the show as well...

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/BE6D74F9-811D-4E35-94AC-0F74111AD4D3_zpsz4djdytn.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/thevaporcafe/media/BE6D74F9-811D-4E35-94AC-0F74111AD4D3_zpsz4djdytn.jpg.html)

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/FE6931E3-6812-46D8-A238-7E436083BA18_zps05uzfb2y.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/thevaporcafe/media/FE6931E3-6812-46D8-A238-7E436083BA18_zps05uzfb2y.jpg.html)

ypsilanti
October 13th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Made a few calling cards for the show.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/13/d8fbb4406da7edac5fde6a7f6f58a65c.jpg

Mags
October 13th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Made a few calling cards for the show.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/13/d8fbb4406da7edac5fde6a7f6f58a65c.jpg

Lovely for the show, I just finished finally getting letter writing all caught up and your letter will be in the mail after the holiday. Happy Thanksgiving from those of us north of the border.

ypsilanti
October 13th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Thanks Mags! I look forward to your letter.

Kurt S
October 17th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Is anyone planning on going to this on Saturday, the 18th? I am going to attempt to go, but I will be getting around with a cane so I'm not sure how long I will be staying there.

VertOlive
October 17th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Pics, please! Will be waiting at home to see all the pens y'all are going to come home with!

00Photo
October 17th, 2014, 06:08 PM
I am headed out there on Saturday. Can't wait.

ypsilanti
October 18th, 2014, 05:46 PM
The show was sooo much fun! It's a small show -- just the right size for my first. Friday's four hours flew by with lots of pen talk and pen groping. Met some wonderful people. Returned this morning and was happy to spend some time with 00Photo & Family. VO, we missed you!

I bought two pens. One is a Waterman that called to me. I kept going back to the table to check it out, and decided to take that as a sign that the pen needed to come home with me. It's enjoying a spa treatment now. The other pen I found was the Deal of the Weekend: an Edison Pearl bulb-filler I bought from a dealer who doesn't really know much about modern pens (but is a walking encyclopedia of vintage pens). It was absurdly cheap. I mean cheap. I almost did a happy-dance right then and there. Walked the pen across the room to Brian Gray, who will restore it to tip-top shape for me. I picked up bottles of Montblanc Daniel Defoe and Diamine Autumn Oak from the Andersons. I spent way fewer shekels at the show than I expected to and am really pleased with my haul.

As anticipated, the best part was the people who were there. Pen people rock.

Lady Onogaro
October 18th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Congratulations on your new acquisitions, Ypsilanti--and your new friends, too. :)

ypsilanti
October 18th, 2014, 07:42 PM
Thanks, Lady O! ;-)

ainterne
October 18th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Went today.....traded 4 for 2, but two that I wanted...I was pleased to swap my MontBlanc 149 for a really nice Wahl. The nib is my dream nib and perfect for me, so I was pretty happy. Also got a lovely Moore with flex nib...I can certainly recommend Paul Erand from PaulsPens.

I was presently surprised how easy it was to trade and didn't get feeling that I was loosing out, it was more like a swap that we both benefited from fair and square. The overall feeling was a good one and the dealers were very helpful and laid back. If you are in doubt about going or haven't been before, I would urge you to make the effort next time.... Bought some Red Dragon and Midnight Diamine....A couple of Micro Mesh Sanding pads.... So pretty pleased with today...

On arriving home the wife said, "so your going to go play with your pens now?".... I felt like a 5 year old...lol..but she was dead right.....

00Photo
October 18th, 2014, 08:25 PM
ainterne, I was totally drooling over that flex nib Moore lol. Nice pickup!

tandaina
October 18th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Went today.....traded 4 for 2, but two that I wanted...I was pleased to swap my MontBlanc 149 for a really nice Wahl. The nib is my dream nib and perfect for me, so I was pretty happy. Also got a lovely Moore with flex nib...I can certainly recommend Paul Erand from PaulsPens.

I was presently surprised how easy it was to trade and didn't get feeling that I was loosing out, it was more like a swap that we both benefited from fair and square. The overall feeling was a good one and the dealers were very helpful and laid back. If you are in doubt about going or haven't been before, I would urge you to make the effort next time.... Bought some Red Dragon and Midnight Diamine....A couple of Micro Mesh Sanding pads.... So pretty pleased with today...

On arriving home the wife said, "so your going to go play with your pens now?".... I felt like a 5 year old...lol..but she was dead right.....

Wonderful! I've yet to be at a pen show where anyone was willing to trade. Always gotten "nope, cash only" when I asked. So glad it worked for you!

ainterne
October 18th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Interesting... I saw on the advert for the show that they did specifically say trade shown below, which to be honest is a big reason I went. I picked up a few pens before leaving being the ones I never use. Two Conkins and the MontBlanc.... One of the Conklin's was missing a sac, and the other was an Eyedropper that I had fitted a French flexible music nib into. So I swapped the MontBlanc for the Wahl Eversharp and the two Conkins for the Moore. His eyes lit up when he saw the Montblanc and he didn't even want the box and papers, so I think he has someone earmarked for it. Mind you, it was in perfect condition and the nib was perfect. As I mentioned below, they seemed a really nice bunch....

The Michigan Pen Collectors present the 24th Annual Michigan Antique & Collectible Pen Show! There will be thousands of vintage and current production writing instruments, pen ephemera and even some watches for sale. The show starts on Friday at 3pm. We will have members giving free appraisals both days. This show offers you a unique opportunity to buy, sell or trade your pens with collectors from around the United States and from around the world.

00Photo
October 18th, 2014, 09:55 PM
VertOlive, I totally forgot to take photos. I meant to and then got into a philosophical discussion with Alan Kaufman and that was that.

earthdawn
October 18th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Meant to post sooner..

Bryan at Edison Oens had some fountain pen day swag

Not sure what he brought but he left with some lol

00Photo
October 19th, 2014, 12:17 AM
I have written a show report here:

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/9037-Michigan-Pen-Show-Report?p=100158#post100158

ypsilanti
October 19th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Meant to post sooner..

I looked around for it, asked a few people, but found no FPD swag at the show. Perhaps Brian is saving it for the big show in Ohio, on Fountain Pen Day itself.

bgray
October 19th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Meant to post sooner..

I looked around for it, asked a few people, but found no FPD swag at the show. Perhaps Brian is saving it for the big show in Ohio, on Fountain Pen Day itself.

Baaaah!!! I just realized that I completely forgot it! Sorry! I feel like a doofus, as I spoke with Earthdawn specifically about bringing it! We'll have it at the Ohio Show if you can make that one!

And I'll get my pics up from the show soon.

Sammyo
October 19th, 2014, 10:02 AM
So... First post... First pen show... absolutely green... and...

I approached the whole thing like a timid cat, not sure if people would find me cute and look after me or scold me for not understanding the ways of this new world. Well I am happy to say I had a great time, fountain pen people are lovely.

I was still quiet and careful, I walked round in circles looking at all these beautiful, wondrous treasures that would surely never be mine. I made lists in my head of what I would do when I built up the nerve... and then walked away quietly to contemplate more. I spent a lot of time just listening, it's amazing what you can learn when you shut your mouth and let two knowledgeable people discuss stuff in front of you.

I walked away with more than I thought I would, but was still very composed and careful... this could get me in trouble with the boss some day! I walked away from a beautiful pen because the nib was not what I was looking for... well done me, I looked at it multiple times, I kept picking it up and putting it back down, but ultimately made the right choice... I think... maybe... yes... no... too late now ;)

I met some of the Michigan pen posse and hope to see them again in a few weeks. Thank you to everyone for making me feel welcome and talking to me, I think I now officially have "the bug"!

I throw out one particular special thank you (you know who you are), you made a quite scary delve into the FP world not scary. You looked after me and I sincerely appreciate that, thank you.

bgray
October 19th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Here's my pics from the show!

http://edisonpen.com/index.cfm/2014/10/19/a-great-michigan-pen-show

ainterne
October 19th, 2014, 11:13 AM
ainterne, I was totally drooling over that flex nib Moore lol. Nice pickup!

OOPhoto. Thanks...am really enjoying the pen, but wow what a stash you picked up reading your report you shared. Congrats... I have health problems and as such cant stand for very long, and so only spend a few hours there at the show. I am kicking my self that I missed the Easterbrook pens. You picked up a gorgeous color on the one you bought, I am very jealous.

That Bexley looks lovely... have you say down and tried it out yet? I would love to hear your findings.

I also have the Black Pen Society journal, and now I know the secret handshake and have the secret decoder ring I will send you a black pen message :-)..

Phil...

earthdawn
October 19th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Meant to post sooner..

Baaaah!!! I just realized that I completely forgot it! Sorry! I feel like a doofus, as I spoke with Earthdawn specifically about bringing it! We'll have it at the Ohio Show if you can make that one!

And I'll get my pics up from the show soon.

It happens... We all know you have enough to bring... and bring you do!!! While it was a smaller show I know I still miss seeing the Pre-Show showing of all your bringing.

GREAT photos from the show. Thank you for taking the time to take them and post them for us to see. Looks like it was a great show with quite a few of the usual suspects.

VertOlive
October 20th, 2014, 05:03 PM
VertOlive, I totally forgot to take photos. I meant to and then got into a philosophical discussion with Alan Kaufman and that was that.

00NOPhoto ???

VertOlive
October 20th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Meant to post sooner..

He tucked some into my box with the New, Custom Edison that arrived today!