PDA

View Full Version : What are you using your fountain pens for?

FP_GaF
June 12th, 2012, 01:46 AM
"Writing, Silly!"

Yes, obviously, but I am curious about the actual use cases.

I use my pens to take notes at my desk and when I brave the hazards of commuting and shopping groceries. I also document my work in hand-written format. Helps me thinking. I never learned how to touch type and there were no PCs around when I went to elementary school (heck, I watched Star Trek the original series on a b&w set; now this is Austria folks, so I'm not that old).

I also keep a journal and I use different pens and inks for different topics that I write about. When I'm ranting I use red ink of course. Diamine Sepia is used for philosophical stuff (wonderful golden-brown colour and very nice shading). Travel journals are done in purple etc. Well, you get the idea.

So, what's your schtick? How do you use your beloved fountain pens?

KrazyIvan
June 12th, 2012, 09:17 AM
I use them for everything. Notes at work, notetaking at church, lists at home/work, to sign stuff and journaling. There are a few places I can't use them so I have a ballpoint for that.

writingrav
June 12th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I use them for everything also. Notes, journaling, lots of letters, rough drafts of all my professional work. I can easily go a month at a time without using anything but a fountain pen ...unless it is a dip pen.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

manoeuver
June 12th, 2012, 01:31 PM
just made my wife an anniversary card.

other than that, my journals are exclusively FP territory. I have a daily events journal and other places I put down other type thoughts. I keep a humor journal.

I write letters but get few replies. Folks are out of practice I suppose.

My daily lists are always in FP. I write those daily. heh.

the daily brainstorm is always FP. I'll also doodle away with my Ahab- I'm doing some strange-looking anti-calligraphy writing from right to left (not mirror image writing, zyxwv-style stuff.)

love my pens.

etoyoc
June 12th, 2012, 01:43 PM
almost any writing I do... journals, grading, letters, etc...

Also, some of the cheap non-working pens (and the vac700) have been problem solving tools as I bluster around trying to figure out why everyone else has lovely working identical pens and mine are duds...

fountainpenkid
June 12th, 2012, 01:51 PM
All documents for school. Right now I've been writing alot of Final Exam reviews with my vacumatic...my duofold broke its sac though...what a mess...so I stuck it in a water bottle!

ianmedium
June 12th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Primarily for my daily journal which I have been writing for the past thirteen years. They are also used for my work which involves several book projects by other authors and working with actors and musicians.

Also for my labour of love, a book I am writing on Henry David Thoreau.

melissa59
June 13th, 2012, 01:00 AM
I use mine to make little "to do" lists for the week and for practicing my writing. I just starting teaching myself basic italic printing using a book by Fred Eager.
Recently, I pulled out a now and then journal that I'd not written in for months. My fountain pen sparked a new interest in jotting down a few mundane moments of my day.
I don't use a fountain pen for my grocery list, mostly because I keep the list on the fridge so my son and I can write down things as we see we need them.

ianmedium: I am in awe that you are writing a book with a fountain pen! That is quite an undertaking. I can't imagine writing without my cut & paste, backspace and delete options.

fountainpenkid: Sorry about your Duofold. Good thing you had an empty water bottle nearby. Smart thinking! I probably would have wrapped it in napkins that would have just absorbed and spread the ink.

FP_GaF
June 13th, 2012, 04:33 AM
All documents for school. Right now I've been writing alot of Final Exam reviews with my vacumatic...my duofold broke its sac though...what a mess...so I stuck it in a water bottle!

Huh, I must remember the water-bottle trick. That may prove very helpful in a tight spot someday.

Best of luck and plenty of success for your exams.

fountainpenkid
June 13th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Yeah...it was interesting to see reactions when I took it out of my bag--the water in the bottle surprisingly only turned slightly blue. Just make sure there is no alchohol in the bottle (you never know ;)

FP_GaF
June 13th, 2012, 04:44 AM
Primarily for my daily journal which I have been writing for the past thirteen years. They are also used for my work which involves several book projects by other authors and working with actors and musicians.

Also for my labour of love, a book I am writing on Henry David Thoreau.

I wish I could be as persistent with my journal writing. Thirteen years is very impressive.

The book on Henry David Thoreau is that a biography? I came across H.D. Thoreau while reading "a history of the pencil" (well, you would be surprised how fascinating that can be. especially since I live in the UK where the first graphite pencils were made in the small town of Keswick in the 16th century; obviously this is going to be the Wikipedia-Question-of-the-Day for you all :o). Unfortunately, I know very little about this very fascinating person.

FP_GaF
June 13th, 2012, 04:50 AM
Yeah...it was interesting to see reactions when I took it out of my bag--the water in the bottle surprisingly only turned slightly blue. Just make sure there is no alchohol in the bottle (you never know ;)

:shocked: alcohol in my whater bottle? Never! :nono: (actually, have never thought about it... ;))

John the Monkey
June 13th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Hmm, paper testing (I found a cheap, hardback sketchbook (£3.29, and close to the size of the Moleskine pocket reporter) in a local art store that looks really good - even the Ahab's wet nib can't make the ink feather!)

I write to do lists & charts too, mostly with my daily carry pens (see posts passim). Where I'm logging a process, I find different inks help to flag up errors, solutions &c My vintage pens, and more expensive modern pens are at home, where they rotate diary writing duty, mainly, although I write the odd letter too. I've not been sketching with my FPs much of late though.

rbiemer
June 13th, 2012, 05:24 AM
I use mine for most things; I have a loose leaf notebook that I plan out my work day with (how many folks I'm feeding, the menu, any dietary "issues" I need to be aware of, etc) and I make shopping lists, I don't keep a journal but i do write letters and postcards. I find that my fp handles the conditions in my kitchen pretty well.
I keep a small notebook by me when I watch DVDs so I can note any titles that look good in the previews.

I don't use 'em for the crossword and sudoku in the paper, the pens and ink I have do not do very well with newsprint.
Rob

goldiesdad
June 13th, 2012, 06:27 AM
I carry mine daily to take notes for work ... personal to do's and lastly to sign birthday cards ....

jfsisler
June 13th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Well, I have to say I'm a total pen tramp in regards to pens of any kind (except ballpoint), so I generally have a large selection of pens to choose from when I need to write something. That being said, I just got my latest vintage aquisition (a Sheaffer Touchdown) and inked it up, so there are 8 fountain pens in my daily carry. Not that I use them all on any given day, but a girl has to have choices, right?

I've kept journals continually for the past 13 years, and kept others off and on throughout my formative years. Right now, I'm using a journal with recycled paper, so I haven't used my fountain pens for it much. However, when I have cooperative paper, I do journaling with my fountain pens.

I use them to take notes at work and for letter writing. I'm also a writer and keep handwritten copies of every piece of fiction, every essay, etc. that I post on my blog. Digital mediums such as flash drives aren't forever, but a fountain pen written copy in a notebook will last...for a while anyway (ever watch Life After People? That's actually a scary show!). There are things I wrote in 8th grade on our first computer that I wish I had had the foresight to save copies of because now they're gone forever.

gordyt
June 13th, 2012, 08:56 AM
I use them for any kind of writing that doesn't explicitly require something else. This typically includes project and meeting notes at the office, a daily log where I record miscellaneous stuff (including gym workouts - exercises, sets, and reps), and a journal.

duende
June 13th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Lab and experimental notes, planning, journaling, doodling, writing novel, brainstorming, and just capturing those fleeting thoughts that arrive like butterflies.

KrazyIvan
June 13th, 2012, 09:06 AM
I forgot to add that I use my fountain pens for nib grinding practice. :D

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7099/7367636236_7915488e18_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/7367636236/)
fpnthread (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/7367636236/) by IvanRomero (http://www.flickr.com/people/ivan_romero/), on Flickr

FP_GaF
June 13th, 2012, 09:53 AM

:jaw: :thumb: :bounce:

Nice! I want to learn nib-grinding, too. How did you go about? Is there a book or any other resource that you have used as the basis? So far I have only found bits and bobs here and there. Admittedly, I haven't put in too much effort yet.

KrazyIvan
June 13th, 2012, 10:12 AM
:jaw: :thumb: :bounce:

Nice! I want to learn nib-grinding, too. How did you go about? Is there a book or any other resource that you have used as the basis? So far I have only found bits and bobs here and there. Admittedly, I haven't put in too much effort yet.

I do not own any books but sbrebrown mentions a couple in his lates video posted to YouTube. I will probably get one soon. I would link to it but it is blocked from where I am at right now. Most of my resources have been gleaned from FPN posts and other sites. There is a thread I started a bit ago with some links sprinkled throughout: http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/467-Nib-Grinding

FP_GaF
June 13th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I do not own any books but sbrebrown mentions a couple in his lates video posted to YouTube. I will probably get one soon. I would link to it but it is blocked from where I am at right now. Most of my resources have been gleaned from FPN posts and other sites. There is a thread I started a bit ago with some links sprinkled throughout: http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/467-Nib-Grinding

Thanks a lot, I'll check out your thread for sure. Just saw Stephen's video. I have already marked 'Da Book' for me on eBay.

FP_GaF
June 13th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Well, I have to say I'm a total pen tramp in regards to pens of any kind (except ballpoint), so I generally have a large selection of pens to choose from when I need to write something. That being said, I just got my latest vintage aquisition (a Sheaffer Touchdown) and inked it up, so there are 8 fountain pens in my daily carry. Not that I use them all on any given day, but a girl has to have choices, right?

I've kept journals continually for the past 13 years, and kept others off and on throughout my formative years. Right now, I'm using a journal with recycled paper, so I haven't used my fountain pens for it much. However, when I have cooperative paper, I do journaling with my fountain pens.

I use them to take notes at work and for letter writing. I'm also a writer and keep handwritten copies of every piece of fiction, every essay, etc. that I post on my blog. Digital mediums such as flash drives aren't forever, but a fountain pen written copy in a notebook will last...for a while anyway (ever watch Life After People? That's actually a scary show!). There are things I wrote in 8th grade on our first computer that I wish I had had the foresight to save copies of because now they're gone forever.

That is very cool. When you say you keep a hand-written copy of all of your literary work is that literally a copy or have you drafted each piece manually before posting digitally. I have been thinking about doing a blog myself for some time but it was rather intended for me only, sort of a personal scrapbook if that makes sense. Possibly going to go public at some point in time, though. Anyway, I prefer drafting text with my pen rather then electrinocally.

writingrav
June 13th, 2012, 04:03 PM

I too hand write, with Fountain pen all things eventually to be published. I have published 4 books and wrote each one by hand. For better or for worse, however, after they get transferred to digital form and then to print, I have discarded the manuscripts. Not sure why.

manoeuver
June 14th, 2012, 11:51 AM
I enjoy writing with pen but when I'm working on a big work I use MS word. It's usually faster and so much easier to revise. I've started work on a book or two and can't imagine tackling that with a pen and pad. maybe I should imagine it... yikes!

writingrav
June 14th, 2012, 12:37 PM
The transferring from the handwritten text to the word processor acts as a great aid to first editing.

fountainpenkid
June 14th, 2012, 02:39 PM
:shocked: alcohol in my whater bottle? Never! :nono: (actually, have never thought about it... ;))

I was kidding! At my school, you are not allowed to have a water bottle in class, because kids put vodka in there....crazy! But I doubt one of those kids would own a cellluloid fountain pen!

FP_GaF
June 14th, 2012, 11:34 PM
I know you were kidding, no worries. :)

It is quite sad that a school needs to ban water bottles in response to some bringing alcohol instead of water. Young people are so foolish sometimes. And also, I see that some things never change. We had similar "good ideas" in school I am ashamed to admit. Not trying to excuse stupid behaviour, just saying we don't seem to get any wiser from generation to generation. Oh, well...

jfsisler
June 15th, 2012, 07:29 AM
That is very cool. When you say you keep a hand-written copy of all of your literary work is that literally a copy or have you drafted each piece manually before posting digitally. I have been thinking about doing a blog myself for some time but it was rather intended for me only, sort of a personal scrapbook if that makes sense. Possibly going to go public at some point in time, though. Anyway, I prefer drafting text with my pen rather then electrinocally.

Actually it's both. :confused: Does that even make sense? I don't think it does, but generally when I have an idea, I write it out longhand, and then as I type it into my blog, I edit as I go. Then I print out what I've got and copy it into a journal (a Quo Vadis Habana at the moment).

I have to admit it takes longer, but I think better in pen. I have problems with my internal editor anyway, but she kicks in more when I type for reasons only known to dogs and small children.

Does this make me wierd?:tinfoil3: Probably!

jfsisler
June 15th, 2012, 07:30 AM
I too hand write, with Fountain pen all things eventually to be published. I have published 4 books and wrote each one by hand. For better or for worse, however, after they get transferred to digital form and then to print, I have discarded the manuscripts. Not sure why.

Well I think the cool part of keeping your manuscripts would be to show your writing process....I know I love looking at writer's notebooks to see how their thinking and writing processes resulted in their works.

snedwos
June 15th, 2012, 07:38 AM
I think better in pen too. Much as I love VIm and LaTeX, I love pen and paper more.

writingrav
June 15th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Well I think the cool part of keeping your manuscripts would be to show your writing process....I know I love looking at writer's notebooks to see how their thinking and writing processes resulted in their works.

I agree and have started to save most pieces in notebooks.

FP_GaF
June 15th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I think better in pen too. Much as I love VIm and LaTeX, I love pen and paper more.

Well, at least you didn't mention emacs, you geek... :)

jfsisler
June 15th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I tried my NanoWriMo novel last November by hand....it didn't work, but that was because I wrote myself into a corner after the first chapter.....

snedwos
June 15th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Well, at least you didn't mention emacs, you geek... :)

Look at the forum title... And proud! :)

FP_GaF
June 16th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Actually it's both. :confused: Does that even make sense? I don't think it does, but generally when I have an idea, I write it out longhand, and then as I type it into my blog, I edit as I go. Then I print out what I've got and copy it into a journal (a Quo Vadis Habana at the moment).

I have to admit it takes longer, but I think better in pen. I have problems with my internal editor anyway, but she kicks in more when I type for reasons only known to dogs and small children.

Does this make me wierd?:tinfoil3: Probably!

I think when it works for you it does make sense and that is the only thing that matters. And actually I like this method because I think it helps the editing process.

I write for work, mainly journal papers, reports and such things and in all of these cases editing is almost always more than 50% of the effort. Besides, I can't really read well on screen. I am getting better but I feel more comfortable with print-outs and hand-written texts. I guess that's because how I learned to do things in the first place.

Writing a note or a draft or whatever with a pen on paper gives me so much more freedom and flexibility than typing it on a computer. I can change shapes, colours, spacing, type, size etc. letter by letter easily without either going through menues excessivley or memorizing shortcuts to no end. I feel this way its more than wrting, sort of a combination of writing and drawing where I can make links and annotations and outline whatever is important. I think that's why they suggest that mind-mapping is so much more effective on paper than on screen. Anyways... :)

And no, I don't think that this makes you wierd. :thumb: But then, I am a geek, too. :)

writingrav
June 16th, 2012, 05:11 AM
I think when it works for you it does make sense and that is the only thing that matters. And actually I like this method because I think it helps the editing process.

I write for work, mainly journal papers, reports and such things and in all of these cases editing is almost always more than 50% of the effort. Besides, I can't really read well on screen. I am getting better but I feel more comfortable with print-outs and hand-written texts. I guess that's because how I learned to do things in the first place.

Writing a note or a draft or whatever with a pen on paper gives me so much more freedom and flexibility than typing it on a computer. I can change shapes, colours, spacing, type, size etc. letter by letter easily without either going through menues excessivley or memorizing shortcuts to no end. I feel this way its more than wrting, sort of a combination of writing and drawing where I can make links and annotations and outline whatever is important. I think that's why they suggest that mind-mapping is so much more effective on paper than on screen. Anyways... :)

And no, I don't think that this makes you wierd. :thumb: But then, I am a geek, too. :)

The editing process is key and another way of saying slow down which itself is the key to good writing and so much more. I keep a journal for all the letters I write and then rewrite them for mailing. This has the advantage of retaining both sides of the correspondence (I save the letters I receive, of course ) as well as giving me the chance to edit the letter. That has sometime allowed me to add important information I've left out and sometime allowed me to remove what really shouldn't be written.

jfsisler
June 16th, 2012, 07:56 AM
I think another reason I rebel against using a computer to draft my writing projects is because I work in a paperless office (ask me how well that works with a system-wide router failure!) with two computer screens. As hard as that is on my eyes, I just don't feel like looking at the computer terribly much when I get home:eek:

gordyt
June 16th, 2012, 07:41 PM

Very, very cool!

gordyt
June 16th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Look at the forum title... And proud! :)

Everyone knows that Vim is the one true editor!

FP_GaF
June 16th, 2012, 08:54 PM

Everyone? ;)

snedwos
June 17th, 2012, 11:33 AM

VI VI VI is the editor of the beast. A sleek, powerful, sexy beast. But back to pens...