PDA

View Full Version : Pendleton Brown Point

Silverbreeze
July 2nd, 2014, 05:47 PM
Considering getting a pen from his site with his signature nib grind. It will be my first Pendleton Brown nib. I have heard great things about it. And even might send some pens to him for a regrind if I like his signature.

Before I buy one from him. Does anyone have opinions on the Rosetta Magellan Burnt Amber?
Or options on the three nib sizes he offers. I am leaning heavily on buying a Broad in part because I read it has the most noticeable effect and in part because I have a large number of Broad nibs that have sat farrow since my adventures in custom nibs started this May

Any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Tom

Frank
July 2nd, 2014, 08:14 PM
I had a nib tuned by Pen at a pen show a couple years back, and I am very happy with it!
I have not bought one of his specialty nibs, but I am sure you will not be disappointed! :D

Regards,
Frank

tandaina
July 2nd, 2014, 08:46 PM
I have one of his angel wings butter line stubs in my TWSBI 540. Really like that nib. I have no clue on the Rosetta pens as I don't own one.

I've got two other nibs PB ground for me, not his butterline stub but ground as I asked (a cursive italic, and an oblique cursive italic) and I adore them both.

I'd suggest you send him an email. Explain what you are looking for and your preferences and ask his opinion, he's always been happy to help me out!

Carole
July 2nd, 2014, 10:46 PM
Wonderful and fun dealings with PB and I'd recommend him highly. He did a beautiful job with my 3776 Music nib, and it needed all kinds of help. I also have a Twsbi Micarta nib (bought here from Dan) with the CI and Flex mod and it, too, is great to write with. It needs a bit of pressure to flex a bit, but lovely nevertheless. (If I can find a writing sample I did with it I'll attach if it would be useful.) Btw, if I remember, a couple of years ago, FP Geeks interviewed Pen at the LA Pen Show, if you can find that clip, you can get to know him a bit (on video).

AtomicLeo
July 3rd, 2014, 08:54 AM
He talked me into a Rosetta Magellan with blue and white swirls ( I don't remember the name) for a birthday purchase 2 years ago. I originally wanted a modified Bexley Summer Storm. Boy am I glad he did. It is one of my favorite pens. Looks great. Built well and writes like a dream.

Silverbreeze
July 3rd, 2014, 11:24 AM
He talked me into a Rosetta Magellan with blue and white swirls ( I don't remember the name) for a birthday purchase 2 years ago. I originally wanted a modified Bexley Summer Storm. Boy am I glad he did. It is one of my favorite pens. Looks great. Built well and writes like a dream.

What nib size did you get?

AtomicLeo
July 3rd, 2014, 11:33 AM

What nib size did you get?

I can't remember. I asked for a CI/Stub with a 0.7-0.9,, line width. He picked out the nib size to grind to the spec.

Silverbreeze
July 3rd, 2014, 11:38 AM
Nods that sounds like a Broad Pendleton Butter point. What i am thinking of getting. Did you try it before you wrapped the gift???

AtomicLeo
July 5th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Nods that sounds like a Broad Pendleton Butter point. What i am thinking of getting. Did you try it before you wrapped the gift???

:-D Nyah, it was a birthday gift for me!

Silverbreeze
July 5th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Ah I get those too

Often with Names like Visconti, Edison or Binder involved

jde
July 5th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Apparently none of us have a Rosetta Magellan. Pendleton's been selling them with his stubs for a long time now. Personally I'd trust he wouldn't sell you a crappy pen, ya know? The acrylics are very nice looking, and the burnt umber you mention is no exception! Pendleton did a tiny stub for me, 'cause I don't like 'em broad, but I'm a plebeian in the ways of scrawling with my pens. Mine is smooth with nice variation. I bet the broad is super buttery. :hippie:

TMac
July 6th, 2014, 07:27 AM
I have a green marbled Rosetta Magellan with a Broad Pendleton stub nib. He is a master and his nibs are buttery smooth. I really like the Magellan. It is a large pen but is good quality and the acrylic is really stunning. You can't go wrong with this combination as long as you like larger pens.

mhosea
July 12th, 2014, 11:58 AM
I just had him grind his "Butterline stub/CI" into a Montblanc 149 with 18k BB nib. It's fantastic.

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/7782-MB-149-with-Pendleton-Brown-quot-Butterline-quot-Stub-CI?p=87051#post87051