PDA

View Full Version : Mabie Todd Fyne Poynt Pencils

Cob
July 2nd, 2014, 08:07 PM
I have an American Fyne Poynt pencil and would like to find a new eraser with holder for it. Does anyone know of a source for these - if there is one!

I also have an English Fyne Poynt for which I need the same!

Rgds
Cob

Cob
July 3rd, 2014, 03:34 AM
Thanks.

I didn't mean one from the era! One of my pencils, the English one has the remains of the rubber stuck inside; as far as I can tell, it is nearly as hard as iridium!

It will have to be drilled out...

Best wishes

Cob

whych
July 5th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Find a piece of tube with the same diameter as the original and use it to push into a block/piece of modern eraser to make a new one. Cut to length as required.
I have found the modern plastic erasers do a better job than the old rubber ones, though they are not 'original'

chiaroscuro
July 10th, 2014, 03:51 PM
I use Pilot ES-10 erasers in UK and US Fyne Poynts. They're long and thus work without a holder, but you'll have to whittle or shave them a bit.

Cob
July 10th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Thank you very much for these useful suggestions.

Best wishes,
Cob

Empty_of_Clouds
July 14th, 2014, 01:43 PM
I've been watching on Ebay and there are some astonishing price hikes going on. I saw a silver Fyne Poynt in great condition but with initials engraved in nice script that went for less than $20. I should have bid on it but I saw another without the engraving so I chose to pick that one. Bad idea. At $35 I was out. The last snipe bid was $254!! So, $20 and $254. Yeah, Ebay makes no sense and the people who bid on this stuff defy any attempt at understanding.

Long story short, I am no longer looking. The Fyne Poynt is a nice looking pencil, as are some of the Eversharp silver pencils, but they are not worth the asking price to me anymore. If I was a collector maybe I would feel differently about it, but I'm not, I'm a user. So, I will stick with my Pilot S20 (lovely pencil) and Worther (fab German design).

Disappointed though not entirely surprised by the madness.

Cob
July 14th, 2014, 02:16 PM
I've been watching on Ebay and there are some astonishing price hikes going on. I saw a silver Fyne Poynt in great condition but with initials engraved in nice script that went for less than $20. I should have bid on it but I saw another without the engraving so I chose to pick that one. Bad idea. At $35 I was out. The last snipe bid was $254!! So, $20 and $254. Yeah, Ebay makes no sense and the people who bid on this stuff defy any attempt at understanding.

Long story short, I am no longer looking. The Fyne Poynt is a nice looking pencil, as are some of the Eversharp silver pencils, but they are not worth the asking price to me anymore. If I was a collector maybe I would feel differently about it, but I'm not, I'm a user. So, I will stick with my Pilot S20 (lovely pencil) and Worther (fab German design).

Disappointed though not entirely surprised by the madness.

Absolutely: I was looking through my history yesterday (a mistake - ALWAYS ) and noticed that I had paid £36 + postage for a no-number Swan. It was quite a nice pen, in need of overhaul. This I did - properly - and when I had finished, the pen looked really smart and wrote nicely, as it had a decent No 2 nib. It sold for £16. Great career eh?

I did notice that sterling silver Fyne Poynt went for £135 or so the other day; I don't understand it either - as I said, I paid £18 - say $30 or so for my sterling silver English Eversharp. The time to buy I suspect is not at the weekend; today I bought what looks like a decent enough Conway Stewart for £18, No 3 nib - should do OK I hope!

Best of luck and on the bright side you shall have no problems finding leads and spares!

Rgds
Cob