PDA

View Full Version : Anodizing

RayCornett
July 3rd, 2014, 02:41 AM
Are there any pen makers here who do this?

Rich L
July 3rd, 2014, 09:54 AM
On aluminum ( or aluminium ) or titanium? Two different methods. My answer is no and yes.

dannzeman
July 3rd, 2014, 11:32 AM
On aluminum ( or aluminium ) or titanium? Two different methods. My answer is no and yes.

Rich, I think it's only proper of you to post some of your work.

Rich L
July 3rd, 2014, 12:04 PM
Hmmm ... guess I'll have to go make something. :)

RayCornett
July 4th, 2014, 01:05 AM
Aluminum. Pardon the left out important information lol

Manupropria
July 7th, 2014, 09:42 AM
I have experinece with anodizing Titanium and Zirconium (Zirconium is part of the Titanium family.
Some years ago I made a small serial of watches out of Zirconium. Some of them I anodized in sky blue. Unfortunately I have no picture of the colored.
What is needed for anodizing is a stepless voltage regulation, 0-250 V, 8 A, 2.000 W. With this regulator you can exactly achieve all anodizing colors on the titanium chart also on Zirconium. the bath you need is comparable with electroplating bt one needs titanium
For the bath you can take baking soda, TSP (trisodium phosphate), ammonium-phosphate, or Borax. Basically, anything similar to these products. Coca Cola or Pepsi will also work. Good instruction you find under: http://mrtitanium.com/interference.html

Rich L
July 7th, 2014, 04:08 PM
[QUOTE=Manupropria;86534]I have experinece with anodizing Titanium and Zirconium (Zirconium is part of the Titanium family.
Some years ago I made a small serial of watches out of Zirconium. Some of them I anodized in sky blue. Unfortunately I have no picture of the colored.
What is needed for anodizing is a stepless voltage regulation, 0-250 V, 8 A, 2.000 W. With this regulator you can exactly achieve all anodizing colors on the titanium chart also on Zirconium. the bath you need is comparable with electroplating bt one needs titanium
For the bath you can take baking soda, TSP (trisodium phosphate), ammonium-phosphate, or Borax. Basically, anything similar to these products. Coca Cola or Pepsi will also work. Good instruction you find under: http://mrtitanium.com/interference.html

He wants to anodize aluminum. Have you done that with an alkaline solution? Also, you need dyes for aluminum to get the color you want - it's not an interference phenomenon.

Cheers,
Rich

Jon Szanto
July 7th, 2014, 07:28 PM
I have nothing to say about anodization.

But I simply had to interrupt: Rich, those pens of yours are absolutely glorious. Exquisite in both workmanship and design. I'm so glad this thread caught my eye...

Rich L
July 7th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Wow, that was unexpected! Thank you, Jon!

Back to the OP and anodizing. I know there are folks that have anodized their aluminum pens and from what I've read it's not a huge complex thing to do it. Caswell plating has a kit as do other places. If nothing happens here then try one of those other internet gathering places that deal with pens. Know what I mean?

Cheers,.
Rich

brh
July 9th, 2014, 09:41 PM

Ray, I have some some anodizing of 6061 aluminum. Not particularly difficult; lots of attention to detail, though. What is it you wish to know?

KrazyIvan
July 10th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Karas Kustoms is having their INK fountain pen anodized by a local to them vendor, maybe asking them would yield the info you need?

Silverbreeze
July 10th, 2014, 03:53 PM
Karas Kustoms is having their INK fountain pen anodized by a local to them vendor, maybe asking them would yield the info you need?

Impatiently awaiting his INK

KrazyIvan
July 10th, 2014, 04:57 PM

Impatiently awaiting his INK

As am I.

RayCornett
July 21st, 2014, 01:04 AM

Ray, I have some some anodizing of 6061 aluminum. Not particularly difficult; lots of attention to detail, though. What is it you wish to know?

I have a Watermany Taperite Crusader cap I would like refinished.

cautionflamable
August 14th, 2014, 05:32 PM
I see that the process has been laid out in pictures. I am sure that most know now that you can learn ANYTHING on youtube. I would check there for the info. I saw a clip on how to remove anodizing there as well. Good luck!