PDA

View Full Version : Lamy Al-Star PIF

Murfie
July 4th, 2014, 08:47 PM
​THIS PIF IS NOW CONCLUDED

For this PIF I am offering a brand new 2013 Limited Edition Pearl Lamy Al-Star as shown below. Included with the pen is the winner's choice of either an EF, fine, or 1.1mm italic nib; four Lamy ink cartridges; a Lamy converter; and free airmail postage to any location. I have personally smoothed and adjusted the nibs for ink flow.

To enter this PIF, just post your wish to enter in this thread. The winner will be drawn at noon, GMT on Friday July 11th. The winner will be selected using Random.org and advised by PM after which he/she will have 7 days to claim their prize.

Good luck!

VertOlive
July 4th, 2014, 10:33 PM
Murfie, that's an amazingly great PIF!

(Not an entry, just applause!)

cwent2
July 4th, 2014, 11:25 PM
Murfie, I echo Vertolive's comment, an amazingly great PIF

But since I do not have a Lamy product and no restrictions were placed on entering I would be honored to be included in your PIF.

Thanks for the opportunity.

CW.

Murfie
July 4th, 2014, 11:33 PM
... since I do not have a Lamy product and no restrictions were placed on entering I would be honored to be included in your PIF.
You are most welcome, especially if you don't have a Lamy in the collection already. Kind regards ...

RuiFromUK
July 4th, 2014, 11:34 PM

Another one who agrees with VerOlive.

This is not an entry as well.

ModelAirplanes
July 4th, 2014, 11:42 PM
I have read many good reviews on the lamy safari and alstar and would like to enter this pif

Many thanks
Daniel

Murfie
July 4th, 2014, 11:43 PM
Another one who agrees with VertOlive.
Thanks, Rui. Enjoy your Geeks meeting over there later today!

dex138
July 5th, 2014, 12:14 AM
Been lurking here a while now, and can't think of a better reason to 'come out' than this PIF. Have always wanted an Al-Star, and this one looks like a beauty, so count me in. Very, VERY generous of you.

Good luck to all the entrants. No doubt, someone is gonna be real happy!

Murfie
July 5th, 2014, 12:24 AM
Been lurcking here a while now, and can't think of a better reason to 'come out' than this PIF.
That's one of the reasons for offering a PIF or two as it encourages new members to 'come out' as you say. Welcome aboard. It's not a bad place to frequent. I've made several good friends here.

Brisboy
July 5th, 2014, 12:50 AM
I'd like to enter. Looks like a great pif. Thanks!

top pen
July 5th, 2014, 01:33 AM
A real nice PIF, very generous.

I won't bother entering as I already have a Safari and Studio.

RayCornett
July 5th, 2014, 03:27 AM
Count me in. Time to see what the hubbub about Lamy's is and I am a gold kinda guy :)

Mags
July 5th, 2014, 04:27 AM
This is a wonderful gesture. Not an entry too.

DMurphy
July 5th, 2014, 05:24 AM
Thank you so much for this opportunity. I have a Lamy Safari with an EF nib but would like to try the broader 1.1 nib for signing cards and thank you notes. Please consider me for this PIF.

This is amazingly generous.

littletim
July 5th, 2014, 06:30 AM
Thank you for the opportunity, count me in.

cbrand493
July 5th, 2014, 10:03 AM
I would love to be included in this PIF :).

eldiente
July 5th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Thanks. I'd love a chance

Wile E Coyote
July 5th, 2014, 10:46 AM

+1 VO...but this IS an entry.

Bold2013
July 5th, 2014, 10:57 AM
I would really like to try a Lamy out. Please consider me and thank you.

caribbean_skye
July 5th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Wonderful gesture, to echo VO and Mags. Another non-entry. Good luck to everyone.

rdcalhoon
July 5th, 2014, 04:24 PM
I have been away from this forum for awhile and this thread was the first in my feed. What a welcome back. I enjoy my Vista, and would love an AL Star to go with it. Thanks for the chance. Now to check on what else I have missed.

Chrissy
July 5th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Thank you for this wonderful gesture. I have never even seen a Lamy apart from in pictures. I would so love to try one out, so if I can be included in your PIF I would be sincerely grateful.

redmanca
July 5th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Great offering. I have a safari, and the 1.1 nib, but I've been wanting to check out the al star and the ef nip. Thanks for the chance.

mvtm
July 5th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Well, i'm new here! and the Ocean Blue Lamy All-Star is the best pen i have. This color seems gorgeous! and i have 1.5 stub nib .. but found it was too big for handwriting size, so 1.1 would be superb. I'm in. Thanks for the gesture.

SDE352
July 5th, 2014, 11:43 PM
Great PIF! I would love a chance to win....Thanks so much!

faithdonna
July 6th, 2014, 09:22 AM
What a generous PIF! Thank you! Please count me in. :o I've been eyeing the Lamys in the stationery store I frequent. I would love another EF pen to work with.

patta
July 6th, 2014, 12:24 PM
This would be an ideal companion to my raspberry one.

Hawk
July 6th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Murfie, tremendous PIF gift. I hope it will bring another person to the ranks. BTW, this is not an entry.

peregrinesfury
July 6th, 2014, 02:58 PM
nice PIF! in to win! Im new to fountain pens and just ordered my first! (Lamy Safari) This would be a great companion, and the bonus of having the converter and cartridges be interchangeable would be great. thanks!

tarheel1
July 6th, 2014, 03:26 PM
I have yet to try a Lamy pen so count me in.

zzdia
July 7th, 2014, 06:55 AM
I would love a chance to win this. I love my lamy safari, but I have never tried an al-star before

ac12
July 7th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Please add me in.
I don't have an Al Star, so this would be a nice starting pen.

thanks

Austin_Malone
July 7th, 2014, 01:47 PM
I would love to enter! This is a great giveaway, it would be great with my Pilot Metropolitan!

sarantine
July 9th, 2014, 12:19 PM
I'd love to win this beautiful pen.

Sinister Scribbler
July 9th, 2014, 03:42 PM
What a nice PIF. I love the color of this pen. Please include me.

mbp
July 9th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Had a beautiful set of these pens I had to sell a few years ago. Count me in on this PIF.

snedwos
July 10th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Leave me out of this one, just to say, I have this pen, it is one of my favourites.

ashley
July 10th, 2014, 08:36 AM
New guy here on the forum. I'd love to enter the PIF.

bc.hiker
July 10th, 2014, 08:38 AM
Another applause and non entry. This is a wonderfully generous PIF. Best of luck to all who enter!!

Al_S
July 10th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Gorgeous looking pen, I'd love to enter. Shortly after I bought my first FP, I bought a Lamy for my daughter, but I'd love to add one to my collection. Thank you.

kidde
July 10th, 2014, 06:03 PM
I would be honored to be considered. I have no Lamy's (yet) and know how highly Safari/AlStars are,thought of. Thank you and good luck to all.

Paul

StacyBean
July 11th, 2014, 12:34 AM
Kindly enter me in the drawing. What a lovely prize.

Murfie
July 11th, 2014, 05:52 AM
This PIF is now finished. I have just drawn the lucky winner from Random.org and

the winner is .... Kidde! :applause::applause::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Congratulations Paul. I'll send a PM to confirm. Thanks to all those who entered. Watch out for the next Murfie PIF coming to a forum near you ... shortly. :)

DMurphy
July 11th, 2014, 05:55 AM
Congratulations Kidde! Enjoy the Lamy goodness....

Murfie thanks for the opportunity this was a ver generous PIF.

migo984
July 11th, 2014, 06:24 AM
Congratulations Paul. What a great welcome to FPG. And if Murfie has adjusted the nib you'll know it'll be a great one to write with, whichever gauge you choose. Enjoy your pen.

Chrissy
July 11th, 2014, 07:08 AM
Congratulations Paul. I hope you enjoy the pen. :dance3:

kidde
July 11th, 2014, 11:58 AM
I am amazed! The greatness of PIF's is know they inspire others and how through small acts we reveal so much about our communities. Thank you.

tarheel1
July 11th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Congrats on winning. It will serve you well.

bc.hiker
July 11th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Congrats to you!! Enjoy your pen!!

mvtm
July 13th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Congrats Paul!!!! I hope you like the Lamys Safari/All Star series!! Enjoy

kidde
July 13th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Thank you, all, for your kindness and wishes. I have think you'll see a sign of my appreciation soon.

Paul

SDE352
July 13th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Congratulations!!!!

kidde
July 21st, 2014, 02:41 PM
Well, another example of finding out I know less than I think. This AlStar is smooth and feels great! The section that some don't enjoy? I like! And I'm the person who says "There is always a reason so many people like certain things." To my list of Parkers, old and new, and Pelikan, old and new, and Pilot, old and new, and Sheaffer, old and new, is added LAMY, just new (so far).
Murfie, your generosity is appreciated. And to all the Geeks who give time, advice, support and help spread this inkfection, thank you too!

Paul

Murfie
July 21st, 2014, 03:54 PM
Wow, seven days delivery. That was pretty quick. The previous PIF winner only received her pens last Friday so your packet was much quicker, Paul. Glad you are finding the pen to your liking. I did a bit of work on that nib to ensure adequate smoothness as some of those steel Lamy nibs can be a bit on the harsh and dry side out of the box. And the triangular grip of the section - well, you either find it comfortable or you hate it. There's not much in between. All the best ...

DMurphy
July 21st, 2014, 08:25 PM
@Kidde - Ok so which nib did you select? The LAMY is a great pen, I have a Safari that I have just changed to an EF nib and it is my daily note taking pen.

Murfie
July 21st, 2014, 08:34 PM
@Kidde - Ok so which nib did you select?
I can answer that one for you David. I put an EF in it for Paul. But I did some work on it before shipping because some of the Lamy steel nibs can be a bit harsh out of the box. So he got a real smoothie ...

DMurphy
July 22nd, 2014, 05:56 AM
Very nice. I had seen that you had done some smoothing on the nib, I guess that I got lucky that my EF wrote very well out of the box, a little bit of bite on standard copier paper but on my Clairefontaine or Rhodia it is very smooth. Maybe I should get some micro-cloth and give it a couple of passes to further smooth it?

Great PIF Murfie, not only a great pen but to pimp out the nib?! Wow!

Murfie
July 22nd, 2014, 04:23 PM
Maybe I should get some micro-cloth and give it a couple of passes to further smooth it?
David, my own experience suggests that some of the Lamy steel nibs are quite smooth straight out of the box, but some can be a tad harsh. The 1.1mm and 1.5mm nibs seem to need more attention than other gauges. But you also have to temper the fact that what is smooth for one person is not for another and it is a matter of personal taste. It is well worth learning how to work a nib to suit your own personal preferences. In that regard I am very appreciative of very cheap Chinese manufactured pens on which I was able to hone my skills without destroying the bank account balance. Cheers ...

kidde
July 22nd, 2014, 07:50 PM
Hi David. My reference point on Lamy is one pen and one nib in EF. While way to old for it to be appropriate, my first thought was "OMG! What a great pen and smooth nib!" It is as smooth or smoother than any new pen I've bought, and up their with some of my classics that have be written with for decades. I'll be passing along a couple pens very soon, but it won't touch the generosity of what I was given.

Paul