PDA

View Full Version : CT Pen club...Let's Get this Moving!

fountainpenkid
June 12th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Hi all!

Finals are coming up so I should probably be studying right now, but I really want to get this on its way!

A month or two ago, I talked to kp288908 about starting a pen club for people who live (or just visiting) Connecticut. This beautiful state is home to the Great Gary Leher, as well as Brad Torelli (or so I've heard). And there seems to be at least 10 people into fountain pens in this state. So I really want to start a club. We Connecticuters are too far away to go to D.C, Chicago, L.A...etc. Long Island is often our only option (pen shows, here). So for all the people who live in CT. or come here on business trips, I would love to hear your opinion. I live in Madison, but the Guilford Library has really great meeting rooms as I recall. Guilford is a beautiful coastal town, with a bevy of Colonial houses, a beautiful green, and a nice town in general. ANY suggestions, comments, etc. (or your experience of starting a pen club) would be great!

For those who live here and are on FPN, please pass the word around, as I cannot :(

Thanks!

Will

Maja
June 12th, 2012, 05:33 PM
ANY suggestions, comments, etc. (or your experience of starting a pen club) would be great!

Well..... There's this little article I just wrote: http://fpgeeks.com/2012/06/pen-club-101/ ;)

Best of luck starting up a local pen club---it can be done! (and good luck with your exams, too)

fountainpenkid
June 12th, 2012, 07:12 PM
oh! perfect! I think I'll make a handmade card though...with a flex nib...

fountainpenkid
June 15th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Anyone good at flex writing here?

klpeabody
June 15th, 2012, 02:02 PM
hey Kid! glad to see your post. I will put the word out on FPN again soon. Probably this weekend. It's been tough rounding people up because it seems that people really are spread all over the state. At one time, I thought of changing the meeting place for each meeting so that the group effectively met once in each county or something. To be fair to everyone, of course. Kid, I'll tell you that I don't necessarily mind driving to Guilford, but the distance kind of relegates the meeting to a weekend due to the fact that I currently reside in Manchester, and also currently commute into Stamford five days a week. I don't know how long that commute will last, but it is what it is for now. What about one of the Haven's? Like, North Haven or West Haven? That's pretty near to you, and might be reasonable for a lot of folks.

I'm not experienced with flex writing, although I would truly like to learn but would prefer a vintage flex pen to learn with and I don't have one at the moment.

Also, Kid, you're going to have to tell me your FPN story sometime. For real. Mandatory first meeting story. I'm sure it's epic.

Anyway, thanks for lighting a fire under my feet. We'll get something together, OK? Let me know what you think about North Haven or West Haven. I don't know of any establishments in those towns but maybe you can offer some input. I think the best way to start is to pick a meeting place and go from there. I still like the "rotating location" idea, but the most important thing is to just pick the location and date for the first meeting and get it rolling.

Maja, thanks for the article contribution about pen clubs! Very helpful and nicely done. You are quite an extraordinary woman. Congratulations on the success of your pen club!

fountainpenkid
June 15th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Those Havens sound fine! I LOVE the idea of make meetings in different places each time, so that we can get a range of people. Could this first one be in Guilford though? I am free after Tuesday, though I have a gardening job.... But yeah, try to round up 5 people !

will

Maja
June 15th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Maja, thanks for the article contribution about pen clubs! Very helpful and nicely done. You are quite an extraordinary woman. Congratulations on the success of your pen club!
Thanks kindly! :D I forgot to mention pen stores as a possible pen club meeting venue--how embarrassing, given that we've been meeting at Perks pen store since November 2007 :redface:

:focus:
Best of luck finding a place to meet in Connecticut for your first pen club meeting...and do tell us about it here on FPGeeks!

JackOShyte
June 24th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Hi All,

You know, I was sitting here wondering if there was a fountain pen appreciators club in CT, when I did a search and stumbled across this thread. I'm glad to see there is some interest. A meeting place seems like an easy one, since it is summer, and there are parks and beaches everywhere. I'm going to go and check my settings now, to make sure I receive notifications from this thread. Don't stop now!

fountainpenkid
June 24th, 2012, 06:26 PM
great!

fountainpenkid
June 26th, 2012, 01:38 PM
P.M sent btw!

dannzeman
June 26th, 2012, 02:22 PM
To help spread the word be sure to post on the Zoss list and Pentrace. I think Maja covered that in her article but I can't remember.

fountainpenkid
June 26th, 2012, 06:00 PM
To help spread the word be sure to post on the Zoss list and Pentrace. I think Maja covered that in her article but I can't remember.

Pentrace said I wasn't eligible (after I tried to register, it said "you are not eligible to register at this time") :( anybody know why?

opalring
July 29th, 2012, 08:26 AM
I am a fountain pen beginner, but love them. I live in CT and would be interested in joining a pen club. Please count me in!

fountainpenkid
July 29th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Send me a p.m and I'll add you to the contact list:) and beginner or 50 year user, I'm open to everyone!

fountainpenkid
August 21st, 2012, 10:09 AM
andyla here said that he would be interested...I sent him messages, but he never replied back--does anyone know if he's still interested in going to the meeting?

as for a first meeting date, would September 1st sound O.K? (Guilford Public Library, Guilford, CT.)

I feel like I have slacked a bit myself in terms of getting this put together.

p.s--my 505th post--I race a very cool dinghy called the 505. Here is a video of the Worlds!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gYE2UmQ7UQThe 2009 Worlds is San Francisco had winds of over 30kts!

opalring
August 31st, 2012, 08:18 PM
Hi Will, I didn't log in until tonight so I don't think I can make it tomorrow. Did anyone else express interest in attending tomorrow?

Opalring

fountainpenkid
August 31st, 2012, 09:34 PM
No. :( Next weekend for anyone? I wish i had a FPN account so I could REALLY get the word out.