PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone collect Mechanical Pencils?

Pages : [1] 2

mvtm
July 5th, 2014, 07:02 PM
I was wondering if anyone here collected or like Mechanical Pencils. As a student this is the tool i use the most and i have always liked them. I do not want to start a collection per se, but i did get a few that i like.

I was wondering if there's a forum on the internet dedicatedly exclusive to Mechanical Pencils lovers, i joined in here wanting to chat and see all kinds of MP, but it seems that i got caught a bit with Fountain Pens instead and ordered a Lamy All-Star,Joy,Noodler's Ink, and a Pilot Metropolitan.

But i do, as a student have a sweet spot for writing that i can erase. I'm a fan of Kuru Toga's, the cheapest is my favorite. So far this is my set up:

- Standard (US) Black Uni Kuru Toga 0.5mm
- Black Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5mm
- Teal Uni Kuru Toga Rubber Grip 0.5mm
- Matte Black Jetstream MultiPen - Blue+Black+Red+Green+ 0.5mm Mechanical Pencil
- Zebra M-701 0.7mm

and on the way:

- Pink Uni Kuru Toga High Grade 0.5mm
- Silver Rotring 600 0.5mm

Leads i have some Pentel Ain Stein and Uni Nano Dia, i have not experienced any single lead break from any of these leads and these pencils since December. Use my standard Kuru Toga everyday. I think i have MP for a lifetime with these, and leads to spare too!!

Rotring 800+ or 800 was out of my budget. I did wanted the Rotring with the gold accents and retractable.. but $70 or $50 for a mechanical pencil - thought it was too much. Got the 600 from Amazon for less than $30 and they seem much alike.

What are your opinions, how does it look? I think i'm very much sold on the Kurus... they write so sharp ... i wonder if i'll like that Rotring better.

whych
July 6th, 2014, 08:02 AM
Usually only as part of a set for the FP. Also, mainly vintage ones.
Pencils on their own, I tend to stick with vintage Yard o' Led or old JM&Co sterling silver.
For fine, sharp lines, you can always try some of the 0.3mm lead pencils.

Cob
July 6th, 2014, 10:49 AM
I have like mechanical pencils since I was a small boy, coveting my father's Yard-o-Led!

I wouldn't call myself in any way a collector, I have just a few: three Mabie Todd Fyne-Pynts - one a small silver one with stirrup top (American) and American golden one and an English golden one, the latter is more advanced as it repels as well as propelling. I am a big fan of anything Mabie Todd.

I also have two Eversharps - an English silver one and a Wahl-Eversharp in rolled gold. I also have a virtually unused Croxley propelling pencil which is very nice indeed - er and a Waterman's which is a bit cheap really. Finally I have an old Waterman 3V pen and pencil set on its way to me.

Working as a part-time volunteer in a charity bookshop, my pencils get a regular work-out...

Best wishes

Cob

Jon Szanto
July 6th, 2014, 11:09 AM
I think he is a member here but only posts infrequently: Jonathan Veley is a known collector of MPs and has at least one book on the subject. Do a search on his name and get in contact with him. I know for certain he is a member over at David I's Fountain Pen Board.

Empty_of_Clouds
July 7th, 2014, 02:38 AM
Well, I don't collect pencils as such but I do have Worther lead holder that was a gift from my mother about 15 years ago I guess. And a year ago I splashed out on a Pilot S20 which I thought was just beautiful to look and hold. This is my main pencil if I am not using standard artist tools.

But... I would love to have a MT Fyne Poynt. Never see them come up for sale though so I guess that boat may well have sailed for me. Not a biggie though.

Cob
July 7th, 2014, 03:44 AM
Well, I don't collect pencils as such but I do have Worther lead holder that was a gift from my mother about 15 years ago I guess. And a year ago I splashed out on a Pilot S20 which I thought was just beautiful to look and hold. This is my main pencil if I am not using standard artist tools.

But... I would love to have a MT Fyne Poynt. Never see them come up for sale though so I guess that boat may well have sailed for me. Not a biggie though.

Here you are (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XFy ne+Poynt&_nkw=Fyne+Poynt&_sacat=0&_from=R40)

Regards

Cob

whych
July 7th, 2014, 05:06 AM
Considering the price the pens get, they are pretty reasonably priced.

Empty_of_Clouds
July 7th, 2014, 05:57 AM
Still pretty darned expensive for a mechanical pencil. I may just have to switch my allegiance to Eversharp - at least they tend to run cheaper!

Cob
July 7th, 2014, 06:23 AM
Still pretty darned expensive for a mechanical pencil. I may just have to switch my allegiance to Eversharp - at least they tend to run cheaper!

As I wrote earlier, I have three Fyne-Poynts. The sterling silver stirrup top cost £12, the English golden one cost £1.99 and the American one £5.00. All bought in the last six weeks.

My silver Eversharp cost £18 and the rolled gold American Wahl cost £15...

Now a plastic drop lead job in the supermarket costs about £4.50!!

rgds

Cob

Empty_of_Clouds
July 7th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Then you have had very good fortune indeed! I haven't seen one in the model I like go for less than 25 quid yet.

Cob
July 7th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Then you have had very good fortune indeed! I haven't seen one in the model I like go for less than 25 quid yet.

Swings and roundabouts! I am hæmorrhaging money selling pens that I have done up at substantially less than I paid for them - with I think just two exceptions in about 14 pens!

Rgds
Cob

Cob
July 8th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Here's a snap of the pencils I mentioned (plus a Waterman's that matches a 3V that arrived today).

Cob

Farmboy
July 10th, 2014, 01:47 AM
leadholder.com look at the thin lead holders.

mvtm
July 14th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Ready!!! I fixed my Mom's st dupont!

I think i have now the Holly Grail of Mechanical Pencils??!! Like??! :D

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3841/14656823042_727037727f_b.jpg
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5501/14677162253_75d715fc05_b.jpg

Cob
July 17th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Another nice Fyne Poynt arrived today, rather pretty; I am awaiting also another interesting Fyne Poynt that appears to be in the famous "cracked ice" material.

Rgds

Cob

Empty_of_Clouds
July 17th, 2014, 02:46 PM
I've given up on the whole thing. Prices across Ebay vary wildly without any particular sense of rhyme or reason. Then again I am not a collector but someone who would use these items. Such is life I guess.

Cob
July 17th, 2014, 03:43 PM
I've given up on the whole thing. Prices across Ebay vary wildly without any particular sense of rhyme or reason. Then again I am not a collector but someone who would use these items. Such is life I guess.

Well as I wrote before you are dead right - ebay is a lottery: I do use my pencils - I have to in the book shop, though it is nice to select one for a day just as I choose a pen or two. The one pictured above cost £15 - came with another dud unknown make pencil, and the other one that's on the way cost the same.

Best wishes

Cob

Empty_of_Clouds
July 17th, 2014, 05:08 PM
You must have some magical power because I did not even see that one in your photo on Ebay.

Cob
July 17th, 2014, 05:28 PM
No magic, just a vast amount of time scrolling through endless lists of stuff either I don't want and can't afford, or do want and can't afford! Here they are:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141344108657?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141343074537?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Best wishes

Cob

Austin_Malone
July 17th, 2014, 07:48 PM
I've got a crapload of pencils that came with vintage sets. Personally I like the pens better, but I do like a pencil better than a ballpoint, and admittedly they do have their uses.

Cob
July 18th, 2014, 02:57 PM
I've got a crapload of pencils that came with vintage sets. Personally I like the pens better, but I do like a pencil better than a ballpoint, and admittedly they do have their uses.

Yes, it's very pleasant writing with a decent pencil; it would be nice to have a proper choice of leads (1.18mm size) I was lucky to buy some original Fyne Poynt red leads - four tubes so I should be OK for a while!

Cob

whych
July 18th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Retro 51 makes 1.2 mm leads for their pencils that are cheaper than many of the other brands. YoL want a fortune for their leads.

Cob
July 18th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Here are two more Fyne Poynts.

The one at the top which came a week ago with a batch of pens is actually dark blue with 18ct gold band, lacking a clip but hurrah! one has been located. The second one is the "Cracked Ice" model I mentioned. Like the blue one it is an English model whilst the one I posted yesterday is a NY one. Sadly cracked ice doesn't work properly - the mechanism does not clutch the lead.

It is long overdue that I found out how the damned things come to pieces!

Can anyone help?

Best wishes

Cob

Farmboy
July 20th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Try contacting John Veley. He lurks here and is all about pencils.

Cob
July 20th, 2014, 02:35 PM

Thanks very much - how do I find him?

Cob

whych
July 20th, 2014, 05:14 PM

Cob
If you do find out, please post a piece so the rest of us also know how they come apart.

Cob
July 20th, 2014, 05:35 PM

Cob
If you do find out, please post a piece so the rest of us also know how they come apart.

I'll be very happy to do that; the damn things have been a mystery to me for years!

By the way, what about this one (I can't stop)?

Rgds
COb

Nom de plume
November 1st, 2015, 06:51 PM
I have a bunch of mechanical pencils which belonged to my father.

http://a63.tinypic.com/2qdbh5i.jpg (129 KB)

http://a63.tinypic.com/166kyh4.jpg (90 KB)

jonveley
November 9th, 2015, 09:25 PM

Cob

Long, long overdue to pop in on this thread. I'm a vintage fan, but there's a lot of information over at my blog, The Leadhead's Pencil Blog (leadheadpencils.blogspot.com) as well as my Mechanical Pencil Museum (www.jonathanveley.com). There's a "Books by Jonathan Veley" page that has a link to order a hard or online copy of my book, The Catalogue of American Mechanical Pencils, and a couple of patent books I've written since.

Right now I'm editor of the Pen Collectors of America's magazine, The Pennant. THat's kept a lot of my writing on the back burner lately.

Denizzz
January 12th, 2016, 05:48 AM

Cob

I'll be very happy to do that; the damn things have been a mystery to me for years!

By the way, what about this one (I can't stop)?

Rgds
COb

WoW, nice Waterman pencil, i would like to have such in my collection as well.

pensplash
January 12th, 2016, 07:54 AM
I have a number of those Scripto 9 pencils we used long before the 5s and 7s came along.

I still like them for heft and strength, utility.

Dana

pensplash
January 12th, 2016, 07:57 AM
The Waterman is elegant. Beauty!

Lady Onogaro
January 12th, 2016, 01:18 PM
I have an Eversharp mechanical pencil and a couple of Parker mechanical pencils that came with the FP set. I use them pretty regularly.

I also have a couple of Kuru Togas that I love (Pink and Black) and a few other modern mechanical pencils. I like demonstrator varieties.

Denizzz
January 21st, 2016, 12:43 PM
I have a bunch of mechanical pencils which belonged to my father.

Nice collection you have! I like how the collection is put in those holders... i try to that myself.

https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlt1/t31.0-8/r180/11754891_985500931483706_7170318673375971685_o.jpg
https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/r180/11143562_985500908150375_1881628819310958418_o.jpg

I have an Eversharp mechanical pencil and a couple of Parker mechanical pencils that came with the FP set. I use them pretty regularly.

I also have a couple of Kuru Togas that I love (Pink and Black) and a few other modern mechanical pencils. I like demonstrator varieties.

Lady Onogaro, i would like to try a Kuru toga pencil in the nearest future. How are they compared to other mechanical pencils? Comfy?

Lady Onogaro
January 21st, 2016, 06:48 PM
Hi, Denizz,

I really like mine and use it nearly every day. I have rather a heavy hand, and I used to always break the lead in most mechanical pencils, but not with the Kuru Toga for some reason. The only downside for me is that I am always misplacing the cap for the eraser. It's so tiny and it's clear, so it is easy to lose.

My other favorite pencil is the Zebra Tect 2way light. It's a cool pencil--a demonstrator in blue with silver metal furniture. The lead isn't as hard as the Kuru Toga, which is nice, too.

I have a soft spot for the Techniclick G, too.

amk
January 22nd, 2016, 02:36 AM
My regular use MPs are Lamy 2000, Lamy Accent brilliant, and Kaweco Sketchup. But I have ended up with quite a collection of vintage pencils, since they turn up in mugs along with fountain pens at many flea markets and junk shops, and if they're selling for 50p or a quid I tend to pick them up, particularly if they're in a nice celluloid.

Denizzz
January 23rd, 2016, 11:35 AM
My regular use MPs are Lamy 2000, Lamy Accent brilliant, and Kaweco Sketchup. But I have ended up with quite a collection of vintage pencils, since they turn up in mugs along with fountain pens at many flea markets and junk shops, and if they're selling for 50p or a quid I tend to pick them up, particularly if they're in a nice celluloid.

Amk, i have never tried a Lamy 2000 mp or the Accent Brilliant, but i am sure these ones have to be really comfortable. I have Lamy Scribble 0.7 and i am very very happy with it.

Also i always liked visiting flea markets here in Lithuania, i find a fountain pen or a vintage pencil time to time, however, really rarely. I have been to a car booth sale on Saturday when i visitied London last time and there were definitely more Fps or MPs to choose from.

Lady Onogaro, thank you very much for your review and sharing your experience. I will add the zebra and the Kuru toga to my want list. I have 2 (black and violet) Pentel Technoclick myseld and i find it really good pencil as well.

Lady Onogaro
January 23rd, 2016, 02:18 PM
Denizz,

This is the Zebra Tect 2way (on Jetpens): http://www.jetpens.com/Zebra-Tect-2way-Drafting-Pencil-0.3-mm-White-Body/pd/1604/related
I have the blue one, but as you can see, it also comes in white, black, and green.

Bisquitlips
February 6th, 2016, 12:10 AM
I have a genuine affection for pencils even to the extent of purchasing a Faber-Castell Perfect Pencil.

I remember one time as a kid we were rummaging around in an old abandoned house and found a bunch of letters up in the attic, most written in pencil. I was amazed that they were so well preserved as they were about 80 years old. I also remember thinking that pencils are under rated when it comes to permanence.

I have about 30 pencils including the ones I have in some of my vintage sets and have gone out of my way to purchase pencils that I wanted.

I have a couple of Montblanc pencils including a 165 and a 232 Pix that were purchased singularly as well as a Rouge Boheme and others. Yard-O-Led makes a nice pencil in hex that I have had for years and also a couple of Whals, one in sterling and one in Rosewood.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4073/4806986708_3e3a5484ea_b_d.jpg

The Perfect Pencil is quite cool! Sterling and Pernambuco wood.

https://paradisepen.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/09_09_perfectpenci_brown_35.jpg

Lady Onogaro
February 6th, 2016, 09:47 AM
I have two Perfect Pencils, but not the Silver cap ones! (Mine are a red plastic and a green plastic.) Those are beautiful!

Bisquitlips
February 6th, 2016, 01:11 PM
I have been thinking about getting the plastic one as they are not nearly as heavy as the sterling and are likely more practical for everyday use.

Gotta love Faber as a company that puts some thoughts in to how to use a pencil differently! They Rock!

http://d15bv9e9f3al6i.cloudfront.net/imgs/products/cp/450x450_fitPad/FC00629~Faber-Castell-9000-Perfect-Pencil_P1.jpg

http://d15bv9e9f3al6i.cloudfront.net/imgs/products/cp/450x450_fitPad/FC00629~Faber-Castell-9000-Perfect-Pencil_DTL1_P3.jpg

brunico
February 6th, 2016, 04:22 PM
No, I don't collect them, but I seem to have accumulated more than I have fountain pens. Partly because I'm starting to draw again and have 0.5mm, 2mm and 5.6mm, partly because mechanical pencils are relatively inexpensive.

Some comments.

Tombow Mono Graph. Much better design and looks than an inexpensive plastic pencil has any right to be, and with a useful eraser. At £6/$9 I probably wouldn't have bought more than one, but at £2/$3 from j-subculture.com, well, why not? It's what you'd pay for a really poor-quality, ugly own-brand pencil from an office supplies catalogue. You know the ones, sub-Bic plastic, sharp edges, no cap on the eraser, an off-centre plastic cone to sleeve the lead and a foam rubber grip that disintegrates after a couple of weeks.

Rotring. My 2mm Rapid Pro came this morning, just waiting for a 0.5mm 600. Very solid, good balance, exactly what you'd expect. It's a mechanical pencil, not a clutch pencil, so I felt I could justify it in addition to my 2mm clutch pencils.

Fixpencil 22. 2mm clutch pencil. A design classic going back to 1929 (http://leadholder.com/lh-draft-cda-fixpencil.html), very Swiss-looking and won't look out of place next to anything in the International Typographic Style. 120mm leads stick out about 1cm when you first put them in, but the longer Fixpencil 77 is almost impossible to find. Not really a problem, especially for drawing. Had to resist buying a neon green Fixpencil from pencils.jp.

Pentel Graphgear 1000. Good, solid, not Rotring solid but excellent value for the price. Very funky looking, but in a good way.

Ohto Super Promecha 1500. I wanted one of these for the longest time and nearly splurged because they're 20% off at cultpens.com. But I think I only want one for the novelty of the adjustments, so I've resisted it so far... and the Uni Pipe Lock and the Kuru Toga Roulette... I think my Rotring will get most of the use for 0.5mm.

I don't like pencils that look like the kind of ballpoint pen that's made alongside a fountain pen. They just look wrong to me. But drafting pencils fascinate me.

Andrey's Pencils on Ebay (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ANDREYS-PENCILS) is interesting to browse through and check out old-school drafting pencils.

Lady Onogaro
February 6th, 2016, 07:31 PM
I have been thinking about getting the plastic one as they are not nearly as heavy as the sterling and are likely more practical for everyday use.

Gotta love Faber as a company that puts some thoughts in to how to use a pencil differently! They Rock!

http://d15bv9e9f3al6i.cloudfront.net/imgs/products/cp/450x450_fitPad/FC00629~Faber-Castell-9000-Perfect-Pencil_P1.jpg

http://d15bv9e9f3al6i.cloudfront.net/imgs/products/cp/450x450_fitPad/FC00629~Faber-Castell-9000-Perfect-Pencil_DTL1_P3.jpg

That's one of the ones I have. I also have the red one (I think it is the next notch down). Anyway, they are both fun.

Bisquitlips
February 6th, 2016, 08:14 PM
Here is another sleeper and a wonderful Whal Dama Sized pencil with a military style clip.

This pencil is just perfect and makes me wonder why other makers do not try to duplicate its beauty and quality. But then again... that's just me.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1589/24864426685_32c07e6640_o_d.jpg

Bisquitlips
February 6th, 2016, 08:28 PM

That's one of the ones I have. I also have the red one (I think it is the next notch down). Anyway, they are both fun.

That is nice! For $12.00 on Amazon, you can't go wrong.

Bisquitlips
February 6th, 2016, 10:36 PM
Another nice Fyne Poynt arrived today, rather pretty; I am awaiting also another interesting Fyne Poynt that appears to be in the famous "cracked ice" material.

Cob

Cob

That is a beautiful writing instrument in anyone's book!!!

Love the colors! Can you share with us where you acquired it?

Thank you!

jbb
February 19th, 2016, 06:13 AM
Here's one of my favorites....with some old rainbow lead in it that I haven't been able to find a current source for.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7419/16322625200_f0f97682ee_b.jpg

fountainpagan
February 19th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Some beautiful pencils you all have!!
I didn't know the Fine Poynt, and find them very elegant. Thank you, Cob for the discovery.

I don't collect mechanical pencils but have several because I enjoy using them to sketck, and so. I have modern and vintage.

Conway Stweart
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/537/BLt2M9.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/exBLt2M9j)

Yard-o-Led
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/540/I3BJDz.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/f0I3BJDzj)

Majestic
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/903/ZpF4C5.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/p3ZpF4C5j)

Jif
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/537/TQ5wKB.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/exTQ5wKBj)

Unknown, galalith
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/540/lME9FG.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/f0lME9FGj)

Sheaffer Prelude
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/673/BQzayy.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/ipBQzayyj)

Graf Von Faber Castel - classic - guilloche
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/913/q6Ws6p.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pdq6Ws6pj)

Lady Onogaro
February 19th, 2016, 09:42 AM
I really like that Jif, fountainpagan.

fountainpagan
February 19th, 2016, 09:53 AM
You have good taste, Lady Onogaro:)

It is a very agreable writer.

mgmmaze
February 26th, 2016, 09:22 PM
About a year about I decided since I am in college for Electrical Engineering might as well get some decent pencils. Since then I have gotten 2 of the sheaffer stripped celluloid ones that were around in the 30s and 40s. One I gave to my now ex gf daughter who loved using it when I would help her with math. I also have 2 watermans from the 40s. And 1 or 2 other off brand ones. I have come to love the 0.9 and 1.1 mm leads. They dont break which was a huge annoyance for me with 0.5 and 0.7 also they seem to last much longer. Some of the ones I want to get in the future is to finish the colors of the stripped Sheaffer celluloid so I need another green one since I gifted mine and a red one. I think the Vaccumatic pencils looks so awesome but of course they run for high prices.

KBeezie
February 29th, 2016, 12:24 AM
In the past I would say no, But then if I go and actually count how many mechanical pencils I have, I'd have to say yes.

My favorite currently is this Eversharp Rosewood pencil that takes 1.1 lead (which I currently have filled with some Worther 1.15):

http://i.imgur.com/CjVzvwh.jpg

And to just list the rest off modern and vintage :

- Parker 45 in a deep green (0.9)
- Autopoint 152G Executive Director (0.9)
- Uni Kuru Toga Roulette (0.5) and Kuru Toga (the cheapie plastic one, 0.7)
- Lamy 2000 (0.7)
- E+M Workman Long (Clutch, 5.5mm)

Would like to find myself a stainless steel one that's a little on the longer side, perhaps with a clip similar to my Eversharp above, or the old 'pencil clip' like my Wahl #2.

http://i.imgur.com/tLV7oxq.jpg

And maybe something of the old 3.2mm (0.12") size, called checking pencils?

Trustydanyell
February 29th, 2016, 07:25 AM
I really like that Graf Von Faber Castel, very nice.

top pen
March 4th, 2016, 01:20 PM
I got a rotring rapid pro in the post today and to be honest I mixed views it doesn't feel like a drafting more a pencil styled to look like one it just doesn't have that pin point precision that the 500 or 600 have, it feels as though it has been made a higher standard then the Staedtler 925 which I've had for a few years. I'll have to see as I found 500 took a while to grow on me.

crod
March 21st, 2016, 07:14 PM
I have a couple of mechanical pencils from the Montblanc Writers Edition. Specifically I want to share a picture of the Dickens pencil. In this case, I have compared the fountain pen with the pencil and I like a lot more the looks of the pencil. The design is very elegant, the combination of the sterling cap with the green/gray barrel is beautiful. The Montblanc star at the top looks amazing. Somebody told me that it is a pencil that doesn't allow mistakes because it doesn't have an eraser, but I don't have a problem with that, I would probably still use a different eraser.

I hope you like it.
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1678/25846336482_243bd1b6ef_c.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1689/25872164971_f607130df0_c.jpg

myu
June 21st, 2016, 09:08 PM
^ Wow, that Montblanc Writer's Edition Dickens pencil looks amazing! I'll bet it's seriously expensive though.

I don't recall precisely how it happened, but I ended up with a mechanical pencil collection of sorts. I think it was a side effect of rounding out some of my fountain pens with matching pencils and ballpoints. Then I started using them -- imagine that!

Having always been a fan of Rotring, I'd managed to spot a Rotring 800 retractable ballpoint and bought it, when I learned there's a retractable pencil as well (and MUCH more available/affordable). I picked up one. It's very nice. The lead holder isn't completely rock-solid. There's the slightest bit of wiggle. But it's not a big deal. It may be touchy for someone who uses this for drafting (and frankly, I'd recommend a fix point for that kind of work).

I've got a bunch of all steel Pilot mechanical pencils, mostly the black stripe edition that was designed to go with the black stripe Custom and MYU pens. They're really great. Thin, light, tight, and reliable. Very solid build as well, with no plastic bits in the core mechanism. I'd learned about the Pilot vanishing point models (like H-1003, H-1005) too late, after being discontinued and prices soared well above original low prices (like under $20). But some obscure models really caught my eye. I doubt I'll be able to afford any of them, but my hope is to grab one eventually. Just one. :)

I'll have to take a group photo of my collection at some point.

Torts
June 23rd, 2016, 11:02 AM
Can anyone help me with vintage pencil values? I am starting to "thin the herd" and just happened to come across this interesting thread. I have Waterman and Parker pencils that need to go. I am fountain pen collector, I have no idea what pencils go for. Any ballpark estimates would be greatly appreciated. If your interested let me know.

The lead moves in and out of the Waterman but the tip (section) is heavily brassed. The Parker spins but I see no lead. It may be empty or broken.

Here are a few photos. Thank you!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160623/d5587340ae4f1fc21c9c3c959c5eb3fb.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160623/73513093502db2b3a513912349981c12.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160623/85f703ed0cb87e211c0024358bf6beae.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160623/0b9e8d67f1e270cd9d97367519718eb4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cob
June 23rd, 2016, 11:25 AM

Cob

Cob

That is a beautiful writing instrument in anyone's book!!!

Love the colors! Can you share with us where you acquired it?

Thank you!

I apologise for having missed this.

I bought the pencil on ebay. It was manufactured in the USA, probably around 1925-1927 as it is a match for the first series Eternal pens of the period. Such a pen would be a prize indeed. Unfortunately I do not know the colour code for this material - my guess is 44.

Incidentally the othe rpencil to which I referred, was in the famous 47 material ("mosaic"). I sold this one together with a matching Leverless pen.

best wishes

Cob

myu
June 23rd, 2016, 12:04 PM
Can anyone help me with vintage pencil values? I am starting to "thin the herd" and just happened to come across this interesting thread. I have Waterman and Parker pencils that need to go. I am fountain pen collector, I have no idea what pencils go for. Any ballpark estimates would be greatly appreciated. If your interested let me know.

The lead moves in and out of the Waterman but the tip (section) is heavily brassed. The Parker spins but I see no lead. It may be empty or broken.

Pencils will sell for far less than the matched fountain pen. Your best bet is to visit eBay and examine closed auctions, to get an idea of general market value. Then post in the classifieds. But if you've not been around here long, there is the trust problem. eBay solves that, but for a fee.

Torts
June 23rd, 2016, 12:24 PM
Thank you for the information and I will do my web research. As for the "trust problem" I am hoping my past feedback on FPN will help when I post in the classifieds. I appreciate the help! Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

myu
June 24th, 2016, 12:31 PM
^ That can surely help. Of course, there's the presumption that a person isn't "hijacking" a nickname from the other site. Just mentioning, because there are devious people out there who enjoy partaking in that kind of activity. But in general, it's easier to sell lower cost items when starting out and I think you'll be just fine.

VertOlive
December 13th, 2017, 10:02 PM
No. But, because I use them daily, I have a fistful of "Dollar Pack" cheapies.

I dipped my toe in over at Jet Pens and now there's a 0.5mm Pentel Sharp Kerry (in Olive!) and a 0.3mm Uni Kuru Toga Auto and various lead brands on the way.

myu
December 19th, 2017, 05:25 PM
No. But, because I use them daily, I have a fistful of "Dollar Pack" cheapies.

I dipped my toe in over at Jet Pens and now there's a 0.5mm Pentel Sharp Kerry (in Olive!) and a 0.3mm Uni Kuru Toga Auto and various lead brands on the way.

The Pentel Sharp Kerry is a terrific mechanical pencil. Some say it isn't quite the same as when they first introduced it (cheapened a little), but whatever the changed hasn't affected the general perception. A capped mechanical pencil has some nice advantages. The Uni Kuru Toga is quite a remarkable mechanical pencil -- you'll be impressed with the auto lead advance and rotation mechanism. They have a metal bodied version, but unfortunately they don't have a clear section on it to reveal the mechanism in action.

VertOlive
December 22nd, 2017, 12:02 PM
Both my pencils arrived from Jetpens and I'm completely converted. I've used both for Latin homework and for my son's homework sessions. The Kerry is much easier to transport, due to its cap, but I like the "eversharp" feature of the Uni. I can see a couple more versions of the Uni in our future.

inklord
December 22nd, 2017, 01:25 PM
...love my Lamy scribble (first and foremost), Lamy spirit, all my old, old Rotrings, Lamy 2000M pencil and Lamy CP1 pencil; now lusting for some e+M and Koh-i-noor 2mm drop-lead (clutch) colored pencils... and the Lamy Aion pencil as soon as it's released!

myu
December 25th, 2017, 12:39 AM
Both my pencils arrived from Jetpens and I'm completely converted. I've used both for Latin homework and for my son's homework sessions. The Kerry is much easier to transport, due to its cap, but I like the "eversharp" feature of the Uni. I can see a couple more versions of the Uni in our future.
Congrats -- glad to hear both turned out well for you. The Uni has a new Kuru Toga model (Kuru Toga Advance) that has improved the rotation... and it's supposed to result in an even sharper tip. I admire the mechanism but I'm not quite sold on it. I don't mind rotating the pencil in my hand to even out the line. In some ways I like it fixed, because you can choose to write more narrow or wide depending on how you're holding the pencil. I just ordered a green Sharp Kerry off eBay (I would have bought it from JetPens, except that $8.58 shipped was too hard to pass up).

...love my Lamy scribble (first and foremost), Lamy spirit, all my old, old Rotrings, Lamy 2000M pencil and Lamy CP1 pencil; now lusting for some e+M and Koh-i-noor 2mm drop-lead (clutch) colored pencils... and the Lamy Aion pencil as soon as it's released!
I am a long time user of LAMY pens but have never tried the Scribble. While I knew it didn't have a retractable tip, it certainly seems to have a retractable sleeve. I'm tempted to give it a go, especially after reading a couple of very nice positive reviews. :)

Runnin_Ute
December 25th, 2017, 12:09 PM
Mp's are a no name that I bought in high school and a few from Parker Flighter sets. A 45, Classic and Insignia. The no name has been a workhorse. All are .5 mm lead.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

inklord
December 26th, 2017, 10:50 AM
Congrats -- glad to hear both turned out well for you. The Uni has a new Kuru Toga model (Kuru Toga Advance) that has improved the rotation... and it's supposed to result in an even sharper tip. I admire the mechanism but I'm not quite sold on it. I don't mind rotating the pencil in my hand to even out the line. In some ways I like it fixed, because you can choose to write more narrow or wide depending on how you're holding the pencil. I just ordered a green Sharp Kerry off eBay (I would have bought it from JetPens, except that $8.58 shipped was too hard to pass up).

I am a long time user of LAMY pens but have never tried the Scribble. While I knew it didn't have a retractable tip, it certainly seems to have a retractable sleeve. I'm tempted to give it a go, especially after reading a couple of very nice positive reviews. :)
The tip on the scribble is rather sturdy (cast Al or brass?) ...hooray to your italicizing and boldening the LAMY script!

VertOlive
December 27th, 2017, 12:05 AM
Re: the Sharp Kerry. It took me several days and then an email to learn that the eraser is actually in the cap of the pen. Kind of like how the gas cap is "inside" the tail light of the '58 Caddy.

myu
December 30th, 2017, 11:23 AM
Re: the Sharp Kerry. It took me several days and then an email to learn that the eraser is actually in the cap of the pen. Kind of like how the gas cap is "inside" the tail light of the '58 Caddy.
The chromed "grid" center body adornment has that 50's automotive aesthetic, which also adds to the retro feel of the Kerry. I'm looking forward to getting mine late next week!

AZuniga
December 30th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Some early ones,
Some English ones,
Some German ones with a very large Salamander, with an English Waverly Envoy at the end
Some American ones but starting with a couple of German ones, a Greif and one with no name that seems a Kaweco and two really nice ones (I believe),
a Waterman and a LeBoeuf...

Happy New Year to all !

myu
January 12th, 2018, 09:53 AM
Well, I won't be getting my green/olive Pentel Sharp Kerry after all. That "good deal" I found turned out to be an illusion. The seller had showed the item location in New York, NY (not far from me) and so shipping time was anticipated to be very short. But then... 2 weeks go by and no pencil. I then discovered that the seller origin shows as Thailand, which I found a bit peculiar. Then the bomb dropped... I saw the seller's feedback rating had suddenly tanked from something like 98% to 66%. It turns out they've stiffed many other buyers. I wrote to the seller a couple of times over the course of several days and got no response. I then opened a case, and still no response. So... I could stake my life on not getting this pencil from the seller. No matter, I contacted eBay and informed them of my grievance. I was assured I'll get my money back, so not to worry.

It was so compelling to see the chance to get a green Kerry mechanical pencil for under $9 USD, but there's no other recent history of such a price except for used examples. There's plenty of new ones around $14 USD. I'm not in a hurry so I'll wait a bit more to see if I can get another good deal, but one that finally completes with success! ;)

ruurd
January 16th, 2018, 02:55 PM
As a matter of fact yes I already liked them and started collecting them very slowly.

Spideysgirl
January 23rd, 2018, 05:38 AM
Yes. I love them. I collect but also use them to draw with. I just wish I could find info on repairing them.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Cob
January 23rd, 2018, 12:17 PM
Yes. I love them. I collect but also use them to draw with. I just wish I could find info on repairing them.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Me too!

Cob

VertOlive
January 27th, 2018, 11:22 PM
At this point, I'm not quite collecting them so much as I am exploring them.

I have two more pencils coming from Jet Pens: a Uni Kuru Targa "Pipe Slide" O.5 mm and a Rotring Drafting pencil in silver, also 0.5 mm.

I find myself guarding and keeping track of the 2 pencils I already have as if they were just as valuable to me as my pricey fountain pens.

matteob
January 28th, 2018, 01:54 AM
No not here I am not a big fan of the retractibles as I am heavy handed and tend to break the leads. I always use traditional pencils. I love the smell: very nostalgic reminds me of school. However I am tempted by a Staedler Clutch pencil.

milkb0at
January 29th, 2018, 05:30 AM
No not here I am not a big fan of the retractibles as I am heavy handed and tend to break the leads.

Have you tried mechanical pencils with lead-protecing mechanisms, like Pentel Orenz (sliding sleeve) or Zebra Delgard (fancy protection thingy)?

matteob
January 29th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Nope will give them a look though :)

VertOlive
January 31st, 2018, 07:23 PM
Still not admitting to collecting, but found a NOS pair of Staedtler Mars Drafting pencils in 0.5 and 0.7mm on speerbob's ebay site for $10 shipped.

Also went completely Luddite and got a box of General Pencil Co.'s Cedar Pointes ( and a pencil sharpener). The smell brings me back 50 years...

Now enjoying comparing these six models as to which is best for bookkeeping, Latin study, or other note taking.

myu
February 4th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Still not admitting to collecting, but found a NOS pair of Staedtler Mars Drafting pencils in 0.5 and 0.7mm on speerbob's ebay site for $10 shipped.

Also went completely Luddite and got a box of General Pencil Co.'s Cedar Pointes ( and a pencil sharpener). The smell brings me back 50 years...

Now enjoying comparing these six models as to which is best for bookkeeping, Latin study, or other note taking.
Nice -- older Staedtler Mars pencils are very well made. Speerbob can have some good bargains on mechanical pencils from time to time.

Yeah, I know what you mean about wooden pencils. I hadn't sharpened one in probably close to 20 years now. When I did it recently, the aroma instantly took me back to grade school! :baby: Trippy. ;)

milkb0at
February 4th, 2018, 03:33 PM
Like VertOlive I, too, am Definitely Not A Collector, but I have just happened to have bought 3 more mechanical/clutch pencils to try: Staedtler 925 25 (excellent); Caran D'Ache Fixpencil (excellent, although I need time to decide whether I prefer it to the Staedtler 780C) and Faber-Castell TK Fine Vario L (surprisingly rubbish). I probably have in the region of 15 mechanical pencils, but I still refuse to believe I'm collecting them.

I feel a bit of a fraud since I can try all my pencils and decide which ones are best, but most of them still have whatever lead they arrived in which means (a) I haven't used them enough to use up the lead and (b) any comparisons between pencils are largely useless if they have different brands of lead. I ought to try some more Pentel Ain or other fancier leads, but I suspect that my decades-long use of standard Pentel High-Polymer HB means that any other leads (no matter how technically brilliant they are) are just wrong somehow.

That said, the Caran D'Ache 2mm B lead that came in the Fixpencil is lovely, and not massively different to the wonderful Tombow Mono 100 HB wood pencil I bought recently to try.

myu
February 5th, 2018, 02:23 PM
Like VertOlive I, too, am Definitely Not A Collector, but I have just happened to have bought 3 more mechanical/clutch pencils to try: Staedtler 925 25 (excellent); Caran D'Ache Fixpencil (excellent, although I need time to decide whether I prefer it to the Staedtler 780C) and Faber-Castell TK Fine Vario L (surprisingly rubbish). I probably have in the region of 15 mechanical pencils, but I still refuse to believe I'm collecting them.

I feel a bit of a fraud since I can try all my pencils and decide which ones are best, but most of them still have whatever lead they arrived in which means (a) I haven't used them enough to use up the lead and (b) any comparisons between pencils are largely useless if they have different brands of lead. I ought to try some more Pentel Ain or other fancier leads, but I suspect that my decades-long use of standard Pentel High-Polymer HB means that any other leads (no matter how technically brilliant they are) are just wrong somehow.

That said, the Caran D'Ache 2mm B lead that came in the Fixpencil is lovely, and not massively different to the wonderful Tombow Mono 100 HB wood pencil I bought recently to try.
I probably own close to 30 mechanical pencils, but also didn't intend to "collect" them. ;-) Some I got as a fountain pen or ballpoint companion. Others were in pen lots that I'd purchased. But some are the result of deliberate collecting of very specific characteristics. I adore well made vintage Japanese mechanical pencils, especially ones with retractable tips. I would never think to try collecting all variations out there, because there are some which are so uncommon and rare, you face voracious bidding competition. One in particular I've wanted is a Pilot Automatic that will sell for about $800 USD in mint condition, and about $400 USD in very good condition with some surface pitting/corrosion. For me, I just can't see paying more than $200 for any mechanical pencil, unless it is an exclusive edition from a high-end pen maker that goes with a matching fountain pen.

About the Faber Castell TK Fine Vario, I'd also read that it doesn't present a quality and character that matches the price. Very sad to see that stalwart brand compromise their reputation, as their older models are quite sought after (like the Alpha matic and TK matic).

milkb0at
February 5th, 2018, 03:45 PM
I've heard about the Pilot Automatic, but only in relation to the Orenznero. I hadn't realised the vintage version was that much. Golly.

The F-C is weird. Some people have complained about the quality of the plastic, but that hasn't bothered me. For me, the grip is weird and too slippery, and the ultra-cool vario cushioning does absolutely nothing unless you mash the pencil into the page. Since we're all gentle fountain pen users here, our light touch makes the vario feature utterly pointless.

myu
February 6th, 2018, 02:25 PM
There is a Pilot Automac [JetPens link (https://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Automac-Mechanical-Pencil-0.5-mm-Diamond-Silver-Body/pd/8909)], which is a different mechanical pencil that was recently released. It has a retractable tip like the original Automatic [photo (https://s19.postimg.org/c62ng1elf/Pilot_VP-_MP_Automatic_YJP-2018-01_b.jpg)]. But it's not on the same level (like a professional drafting instrument). Oddly, it's not listed on the PilotPen.us site. Mixed reviews about it.

Personally, I'm not all that keen about automatic feed pencils. It's all mechanical, so it has no idea how much lead is worn to know how much to advance. It just blindly does it. I really don't have a problem with clicking the propelling mechanism. Actually, I quite like doing it... sort of like shifting a transmission rather than driving an automatic. ;)

The cushioning effect can be oft putting, indeed. Some people complain about it with the UNI Kuru Toga, but frankly I hardly notice it. The rotation mechanism is rather cool. I made a comparison with other pencils, examining the lead tips under a loupe, and was amazed to see the Kuru Toga having a nice conical tip, while the others had a chisel shape. That was keeping the hand steady. Normally, I do rotate the pencil in my hand to avoid a sharp chisel shape. And actually, when drawing one can leverage the chisel shape to advantage... Thus, the Kuru Toga is really more ideal for note taking.

Ahriman4891
February 9th, 2018, 05:02 AM
The Kuru Toga is also better suited for either block print or Eastern logograms, since the tip must be lifted off the paper to engage the rotation mechanism. Those who write exclusively in cursive do not find it very useful, apparently.

old4570
February 28th, 2018, 09:07 PM
https://s10.postimg.org/tkrl6myrt/IGP6946.jpg

Yeah ! Love mechanical pencils ...
Latest is the Rotring Esprit Double Push ( 0.7mm ) Most expensive writing utensil I have ever purchased . ( An exercise in extravagance )

At the moment I use a Pentel GraphGear 1000 .9mm for my scribbling ..

But I do have a few mechanical pencils ( Vintage as well )

Replicant
March 15th, 2018, 06:03 PM
The Kuru Toga is also better suited for either block print or Eastern logograms, since the tip must be lifted off the paper to engage the rotation mechanism. Those who write exclusively in cursive do not find it very useful, apparently.

Interesting observation. My daily note taker is an Uni Kuru Toga and I absolutely love it. However, I have long since given up cursive hand writing and only write in all CAPS these days, so this may explain my appreciation of this pencil. I have dozens of mechanical pencils but have never considered myself a collector of them.

myu
March 18th, 2018, 11:06 PM
https://s10.postimg.org/tkrl6myrt/IGP6946.jpg

Yeah ! Love mechanical pencils ...
Latest is the Rotring Esprit Double Push ( 0.7mm ) Most expensive writing utensil I have ever purchased . ( An exercise in extravagance )
If you think the rOtring Esprit is an exercise in extravagance, wait until you see the rOtring 600 Trio, or a vintage rOtring 600G. Does the metal Esprit have a brass core to it, or is it a fairly lightweight pencil?

old4570
March 24th, 2018, 07:37 AM
https://s9.postimg.org/fqtlt6ren/IGP7118.jpg

Some of my pencils ! ( German - Japanese - American / Vintage - Modern )

Esprit = Light weight . Well made . Dont think there is a brass core ...

myu
March 25th, 2018, 02:13 PM
^ Very nice diverse mechanical pencil collection! :thumb: The Pentel PMG 0.3mm is a great pencil and for the longest time I had no clue that there was a metal tip protector installed on the rear end. Odd that they didn't include this on the 0.5mm... I guess that size is deemed to have a strong enough lead sleeve to resist bending from typical drop heights. What's your favorite(s) in this lineup?

old4570
March 25th, 2018, 05:15 PM
I do love 0.9mm - Best size for me to write and scribble ..
Most of the vintage pencils are 0.9mm

At the moment I reach for the Pentel Graphgear 1000 ( 0.9mm ) , has double push - retractable tip . Everything is tight ( no play ) .
I would consider the Graphgear 1000 a must have for any pencil collector or serious user ...

For some reason the Japanese love 0.5mm , I am so over 0.5mm .

0.7mm = A little iffy on it , just feels like a compromise , just give me 0.9mm .

I just got me a Ohto double push with button ( 0.7mm ) , ok had to buy it , but not the greatest ...

DrPenfection
March 25th, 2018, 05:33 PM
I used mechanical pencils when I was in grad school, but haven't used them much since then. My husband still uses them though.

Ahriman4891
April 17th, 2018, 08:44 PM
I recently bought my first Kuru Toga pencil, the Advance model, which rotates the lead twice as fast as the first generation mechanism. IIRC, it's 20 steps per revolution as opposed to 40 in the older models. I read some complaints about the wobbly feel of the Kuru Toga, but supposedly it was tightened up in the Advance. When writing with a light hand, I cannot feel any "wobbly" or "mushy" feedback. When pressing harder, the entire tip gives a little, the rotation mechanism starts acting like a cushion of sorts. I don't think fountain pen users, who generally are not heavy-handed, will experience any issues. So far, I enjoy the uniform line thickness it produces. I'll try softer lead in the future, the pencil probably came with HB out of the box.

myu
April 21st, 2018, 05:16 PM
https://s19.postimg.cc/v07mcetir/Pentel_PSD5_02.jpg

VertOlive
April 21st, 2018, 10:31 PM
--> old4570 : How would you compare the Graph Gear 1000 to the Rotring 600? The Rotring has been my favorite of the few models I've explored so far.

stub
April 21st, 2018, 11:22 PM
Myu what is that?

VertOlive
April 28th, 2018, 02:45 PM
Still in "Exploration Mode" and have four new incoming from Jetpens:

Pentel Orenz 0.2mm (pink)
Zebra Tect 2way 0.3mm (lite green)
Pentel PG5 Slim Drafting pencil 0.5 mm (black and orange)
TWSBI Jr Pagoda 0.7mm (marmalade)

Will report back upon receipt.

stub
April 29th, 2018, 12:46 AM
--> old4570 : How would you compare the Graph Gear 1000 to the Rotring 600? The Rotring has been my favorite of the few models I've explored so far.

You didn't ask me but I will answer anyway: I like the Graph Gear 1000 b/c it is retractable and one of the few where the lead sleeve doesn't have a lot of play. But I ONLY use it if I need the retractable feature otherwise I am much more likely to grab the Rotring 600. I find the Graph Gear 1000 b/c grip section a little wierd. YMMV.

stub
April 29th, 2018, 12:47 AM
TWSBI Jr Pagoda 0.7mm (marmalade)

This one was a winner for me. I got it free when I bought a pen at my local Brick and Mortar. I like that the pen is well balanced and a little chubby. Though I am not fond of rubberized grip sections. Still nice to have a slightly fatter pencil.

myu
April 29th, 2018, 11:40 PM
Myu what is that?
Hi Stub, that's a Pentel PSD5, double-knock retractable tip. Locks in place with no wobble. Comparable to a Pilot H-2005 or H-3005. While not as beautiful as the PILOT equivalents with their etched metal front sections, the PSD5 is nice quality.

Rapidray
May 9th, 2018, 07:48 AM
:) I have a few. Both mechanical and clutch.

Wolfman Zack
May 9th, 2018, 07:59 AM
I’m ending up with quite a few.
For a long time I just used my Rotring 800, it was and still is perfect for me overall.
I recently became intrigued by thicker leads though, and have since acquired a Retro 51 tornado, a beautiful Yard-O-Led from a member here, as swell as a Rite in the Rain branded Autopoint and two vintage twist pencils.
Guess you could say I’m collecting at this point, LOL.

Rapidray
May 9th, 2018, 08:12 AM
Rotring 800 is a nice one. I have the 800 with the stylus because we have the iPads. Enjoy!

myu
May 9th, 2018, 05:00 PM
Rotring 800 is a nice one. I have the 800 with the stylus because we have the iPads. Enjoy!
Do you know those wire shelves that are easy to find at Home Depot and Loews? There are these soft PVC end caps that are used with them. They fit quite well over the business end of mechanical pencils, for protection. But in addition to that, they can turn any mechanical pencil into an iPad stylus. ;)

Rapidray
May 9th, 2018, 05:18 PM
Do you know those wire shelves that are easy to find at Home Depot and Loews? There are these soft PVC end caps that are used with them. They fit quite well over the business end of mechanical pencils, for protection. But in addition to that, they can turn any mechanical pencil into an iPad stylus. ;)
No...I didn't know that.

PORTEPLUME
May 11th, 2018, 01:25 AM
Most of my pencils, I heritated. All in decent quality!

https://picload.org/image/doacgggr/mech-pens-770.jpg

myu
May 23rd, 2018, 10:51 AM
https://s19.postimg.cc/47ha4qtv7/Uchida_Drawing_Sharp_E_Gold-02.jpg

Rapidray
May 30th, 2018, 08:11 AM
https://s19.postimg.cc/47ha4qtv7/Uchida_Drawing_Sharp_E_Gold-02.jpg

That is very nice! Any info on it? Age? Thanks

myu
May 31st, 2018, 02:24 PM
That is very nice! Any info on it? Age? Thanks
It's a Uchida Drawing Sharp E and one variant of several on this design. It's likely from the 1980's and was probably selling for 3,000 yen at the time. There's a cheaper aluminum bodied one with black plastic grip that sold for 1,000 yen.

Rapidray
May 31st, 2018, 06:24 PM
I looked at eBay and saw the price...not bad. There would be a couple of other things on my wish list. It will be a target of opportunity. Thanks

myu
May 31st, 2018, 06:44 PM
Found an odd mechanical pencil. Remember the Pentel Quick Clicker, where you'd push a button on the barrel near the grip area to advance the lead? Apparently that's called a "side-click". Well, there's a similar method, but involves "bending" the pencil, to achieve the same thing. Only this one is done in brushed stainless steel with an expandable/retractable body. It was made by Artline.

https://s19.postimg.cc/7ynon34cz/Artline-_Shachihata_01.jpg

Unscrewed, there's an elongated dome-cap that covers over the lead tube. It may be rounded as the barrel inside presses up against it during the click-action. The advance mechanism looks be triggered just forward of the screw mount on the front half. An eraser is seated in the tail, covered over by a machined solid steel screw cap.

https://s19.postimg.cc/femy8vzs3/Artline-_Shachihata_03.jpg

EDIT: Here's a short video demo: LINK (https://imgur.com/a/4Cb8do3).

Rapidray
May 31st, 2018, 07:33 PM
I find it interesting that for the mechanical pencils so many advances have been made. As old as it is, it is current with the times. You now have this system, the shaking as you mentioned and one that you can bend the lower body. The coolest and neatest is the Kuru Toga rotation of the lead.

myu
June 2nd, 2018, 04:53 AM
I find it interesting that for the mechanical pencils so many advances have been made. As old as it is, it is current with the times. You now have this system, the shaking as you mentioned and one that you can bend the lower body. The coolest and neatest is the Kuru Toga rotation of the lead.
There certainly have been a lot of advances, some lost and then repeated, others completely new. The Kuru Toga lead rotation is a terrific feature for note taking. You simply don't have to rotate the pencil in your hand, as the mechanism does it for you. But it can be a problem for people who write in script, or need control of the tip (allowing a "chisel" shape can have advantages). One feature I just don't understand is the Del Guard, with the tip breakage protection. In my book, if you're using 0.5mm or larger lead and it breaks, either the pencil is faulty or you're pressing too hard.

For lead advancement, the shaker design bothers me as I just don't want to be doing that shake motion. I'd much prefer to click on a button or pusher with a finger. Twisting is OK. But this "kink" method of pressing on the barrel with the Artline is pretty amazing. I edited the post above to include a link to a short video that demonstrates how it works. My only complaint for this would be the uncertainty on longevity for the brushed steel surface. I expect if using this pencil very frequently, it'll develop smoothed over wear spots. Probably remedied with some abrasive micro mesh, although it won't look totally like stock. In any case, time will tell. The barrel extension/retraction is also quite innovative, making it easier to carry without sacrificing writing comfort.

VertOlive
October 11th, 2018, 06:19 PM
Hmmmm. Bored. Looking around for any new offerings in the world of [new] mechanical pencils. Anyone find something interesting lately?

Chrissy
October 12th, 2018, 04:09 AM
I'm quite tempted to treat myself to a nice mechanical pencil. However, there are so many different kinds of pencils out there, and so many mentioned in this thread that I'm finding it quite bewildering to pick one.

Deb
October 12th, 2018, 06:44 AM
If it's for writing, I find the Uni Kuru Toga 0.5 very useful and comfortable in the hand. For drawing, others can give better advice than me.

stub
October 12th, 2018, 07:55 AM
I'm quite tempted to treat myself to a nice mechanical pencil. However, there are so many different kinds of pencils out there, and so many mentioned in this thread that I'm finding it quite bewildering to pick one.

I am a music nerd, and teach at a music school so lots of pencil action. I dig wood pencils but have also been through lot of mechanicals. The ones that I have liked and used the most are:

Pentel GraphGear 500. I do not love the GraphGear 1000 b/c I don't like rubberized grips and I don't love those little silicon nubbings they put on the 1000 but the GraphGear 500 is a great pencil with a solid grip and works great with rulers. Yay! The cheaper one is better & a really good everyday user. The 1000 is, however, retractable and one of the few that does not wiggle around. I hate when the sleeve wiggles so I do keep my GraphGear 1000 for grab and go but the GraphGear 500 is the better pencil (imo).

Alvin Draftmatic. Super. All around great pencil with epic knurling. light but solid. Love it.

rOtring 600 is also a great pencil a little heavier than the Alvin Draftmatic but similarly rugged. Again, the 600 (imo) is better than the more expensive ones like the 800.

I also like the plain old Pentel P200 Series (light, rigged, no rubbery grip but a little thin). I also like the Pentel Kerry. I also like some of my old vintage Sheaffers that are nice and chubby and textured grips.

But if I had to pick just three and toss the rest. Alvin Draftmatic, rOtring 600, Pentel GraphGear 500 are so far my favorites.

I wish someone would make a chubby pencil. I am note sure why everyone thinks a pencil has to be thin.

for me #1 issue has to be a solid non-wiggle point with no play or cushion or whatever. That lead sleeve has to be rock steady or it bugs me.

milkb0at
October 12th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Hmmmm. Bored. Looking around for any new offerings in the world of [new] mechanical pencils. Anyone find something interesting lately?

It seems loads of people are getting the latest Spoke pencil if that floats your boat. Or the Pental Orenznero 0.2mm. I haven't tried either of those, though - I'm happy with more of the classics, from Pentel P205 to Yard-O-Led Diplomat.

I would say pick one of the Pentel P200 series, Pentel Kerry, Rotring 600 or Kuru Toga to start you off. Whichever you like the look of most, then you can go from there once you have a frame of reference.

I wish someone would make a chubby pencil. I am note sure why everyone thinks a pencil has to be thin.

There's the Lamy Scribble. I have the 3.15mm version and it's great, but I imagine the 0.7mm is good too. For more posh writing, the Lamy 2000 or Faber-Castell e-motion aren't exactly thin. For a cheap option, the Faber-Castell Grip 2011 mechanical pencil is a bit light and plasticy, but I find it fantastic for writing.

Chrissy
October 12th, 2018, 03:36 PM
I've read this whole thread, and I read up about pencils on Cult Pens. I wanted something that wasn't thin, and wasn't too expensive. In the end I ordered a Tombow Zoom 505 SH from Amazon as it was a significantly lower price to buy it directly from Japan. I'll let you know what it's like in a month after I've received it. :)

VertOlive
October 16th, 2018, 08:01 PM
Chrissy: you might want to consider a separate eraser with your next order. I find the erasers on mechanicals wear out quickly and a separate one saves you having to stop and replace the one on the pencil.

Milkb0at: I like the Spoke and will get one next shopping spree. Meanwhile, 2 more TWSBI Pagodas (blue and the white) and an OhtoSharp Pencil (a wooden pencil look-a-like that delights me) , a Staedtler 925, and another Advance Kuru Toga.

VertOlive
October 16th, 2018, 08:08 PM
Oh, what the cuss. I just ordered the 5-2 Spoke in Storm Grey, 0.5mm. Thanks again for the recommendation. How did you hear about them?

christof
October 16th, 2018, 10:28 PM
Got some nice vintage Caran d'Ache recently.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1879/43054070460_7fe8360d57_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/28AxnaE)Caran d'Ache Ecridor von -C.M.Z- (https://flic.kr/p/28AxnaE)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1968/44398251614_d7284ebae7_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2aDjDoN)Caran d'Ache Fixpencils 0.5mm von -C.M.Z- (https://flic.kr/p/2aDjDoN)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1913/30068425817_6f89c56754_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/MP3xqM)CarandAche Madison Pencil 1 von -c_m_z- (https://flic.kr/p/MP3xqM)

C.

myu
October 16th, 2018, 10:53 PM
wish someone would make a chubby pencil. I am note sure why everyone thinks a pencil has to be thin.
If you want a truly seriously stubby pencil, seek out a Tombow. They made some really stubby designs like the "egg" (but that was only fountain pen and ballpoint).

But here's the Oceanic:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tF5bFPqXLeM/UPP6yJCHUQI/AAAAAAAACfU/nSYEjqk03Uc/s1600/TomBow+oceanic+mechanical+pencil+writing+sample.jp g

It's unfortunately discontinued. I'd recommend the LAMY Scribble.

Chrissy
October 17th, 2018, 01:05 AM
Chrissy: you might want to consider a separate eraser with your next order. I find the erasers on mechanicals wear out quickly and a separate one saves you having to stop and replace the one on the pencil.

Thank you, and yes I have separate erasers. In fact I just ordered a Tombow eraser in pencil form as well as a Lamy Scribble. I'm looking forward to trying them both out on the "Inktober" thread. :)

milkb0at
October 17th, 2018, 02:27 PM
Oh, what the cuss. I just ordered the 5-2 Spoke in Storm Grey, 0.5mm. Thanks again for the recommendation. How did you hear about them?

I can't remember where I heard about Spoke first. Perhaps the Pen Addict podcast, more likely one of the many stationery blogs on my RSS feed. The latest Spoke is all over /r/mechanicalpencils too at the moment.

I don't fancy one myself as I'm not a fan of the style, but I must admit an excellent P200 mechanism in a fancy body is a neat idea.

milkb0at
October 17th, 2018, 02:35 PM
Some lovely Caran D'Ache once again, Christof. Having bought a modern Fixpencil a couple of years ago I was hooked - I now have a few 849 / 844 and a new(ish) Ecridor pencil. Wonderful. I'd like to buy a few vintage ones, such as a Fixpencil 77. At the latest London Pen Show I was intrigued by a Tricolor, which seemed like a bizarre & funky thing.

calamus
October 17th, 2018, 02:41 PM
Every now and then I browse the Yard-O-Led pencils on eBay, just to drool. I look at the Yard-O-Led fountain pens first; that makes the pencils seem downright cheap in comparison.

VertOlive
October 19th, 2018, 04:38 PM
While I don't have a use for a 2mm lead, these pencils on eBay are interesting: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Handmade-Hex-Mechanical-Pencil-Purple-and-Gray-Colorwood-Benefits-Sea-Shepard/123389299095?hash=item1cba934997:g:N0wAAOSwA~1bqn6 f:rk:11:pf:0

myu
October 23rd, 2018, 12:15 PM
The Japanese sure know how to advertise mechanical pencils... The US doesn't even create video commercials for them any longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TDwzZxJT9k

Ahriman4891
October 23rd, 2018, 01:13 PM
Haha that's amazing.

Also, good to know they make them in 0.5 and 0.7 mm now too.

myu
November 28th, 2018, 10:34 AM
Anyone here one into knurled grips?

https://i.postimg.cc/15NdcQTs/MP-Brothers-In-Knurling-05.jpg

Brothers in Knurling:
https://i.postimg.cc/5N65Brdq/MP-Brothers-In-Knurling-01.jpg

VertOlive
November 28th, 2018, 08:54 PM
Yes, I have that Rotring 600 and love it. But it's the only knurled pencil I own

milkb0at
November 29th, 2018, 05:19 PM
Nice photos, myu. I'm on the fence about knurling and perhaps one day I'll find my definitive answer. But I suspect that the answer is not, since most of my favourite pencils don't have knurling.

Of the knurled pencils I have, I prefer Staedtler's 925-25 and the 780C leadholder to the more agressive Rotring 600. In fact, Staedtler's knurling I find quite pleasant, hence my confusion as to whether knurling is good or not.

KrazyIvan
November 29th, 2018, 08:18 PM
I have the OHTO multi slim 3+1 with a knurled grip that looks like they borrowed styling from Rotring. It's nice to have black and red ink plus a mechanical pencil all in one device.

Elim
November 29th, 2018, 10:23 PM
I haven't read through all 7 pages of this thread, so apologies if this has posted already.

If you dig pencils, look at the leadheads blog that ended recently. It's an amazing resource for id, history & a cool story or 3.

https://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/

christof
November 30th, 2018, 07:56 AM
Although I do not collect actively mech. pencils, I have a couple of them laying around at home and at the office. Here some pictures:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2887/34253782341_3ec07c8ab1_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/UbTA7a)Druckbleistifte modern (https://flic.kr/p/UbTA7a) by C.M.Z (https://www.flickr.com/photos/30169694@N08/), auf Flickr

I also have some leadholders:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4182/33999724140_c45a4dc91c_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/TNrtsm)Fallminenstifte (https://flic.kr/p/TNrtsm) by C.M.Z (https://www.flickr.com/photos/30169694@N08/), auf Flickr

some vintage propelling pencils:
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2841/33542667984_7c93247133_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/T73WzN)Drehbleistifte alt (https://flic.kr/p/T73WzN) by C.M.Z (https://www.flickr.com/photos/30169694@N08/), auf Flickr

and vintage repeater pencils:
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2874/33999727900_031e979041_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/TNruzb)Druckbleistifte alt (https://flic.kr/p/TNruzb) by C.M.Z (https://www.flickr.com/photos/30169694@N08/), auf Flickr

I specially have an interest in vintage Pelikan pencils:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4395/36486233141_dd3027a777_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/XAatXc)Pelikan 450 & 570 (https://flic.kr/p/XAatXc) by C.M.Z (https://www.flickr.com/photos/30169694@N08/), auf Flickr

and vintage Caran d'Ache Fixpencil leadholders:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4893/45956648091_7a45fe7f4c_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2d22Qnz)Caran d'Ache Fixpencil (https://flic.kr/p/2d22Qnz) by C.M.Z (https://www.flickr.com/photos/30169694@N08/), auf Flickr

C.

strikers
April 6th, 2020, 07:13 AM
I love mechanical pencils and i have a very dig collection. I have parker faber-castel pilot pentel uni and lamy

some of my favorite pencils are :

pentel kerry (0,5)
deli HB (0,7)
kaweko shetchllp (5,6)
faber-castel since 1761 (0,7)
ritric tikky 3 in 1 blue pen red pen mechanical pencil (0,7)
parker 1950 (1,1)
pentel graphgear1000 (0,3)

i have more but they are not like my favorite

strikers

guyy
April 6th, 2020, 08:44 AM
Favorite mechanical pencils:

Sheaffer Titan

W-E Doric

Parker 51, but only the aerometric era MP. These are much better looking than the vacumatic 51 matching pencils.

Pelikan 450

Caran d’Ache

I prefer the 1.16mm size with 4B leads from Eurobox or Jonathon Veley.

strikers
April 6th, 2020, 11:22 AM
I have 1 caran d'ache but i don't like it so mach

strikers
April 6th, 2020, 11:45 AM
have anyone cross pencils

strikers

Cyril
September 17th, 2020, 08:09 AM
Although I do not collect actively mech. pencils, I have a couple of them laying around at home and at the office. Here some pictures:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2887/34253782341_3ec07c8ab1_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/UbTA7a)Druckbleistifte modern (https://flic.kr/p/UbTA7a) by C.M.Z (https://www.flickr.com/photos/30169694@N08/), auf Flickr

I also have some leadholders:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4182/33999724140_c45a4dc91c_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/TNrtsm)Fallminenstifte (https://flic.kr/p/TNrtsm) by C.M.Z (https://www.flickr.com/photos/30169694@N08/), auf Flickr

some vintage propelling pencils:
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2841/33542667984_7c93247133_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/T73WzN)Drehbleistifte alt (https://flic.kr/p/T73WzN) by C.M.Z (https://www.flickr.com/photos/30169694@N08/), auf Flickr

and vintage repeater pencils:
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2874/33999727900_031e979041_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/TNruzb)Druckbleistifte alt (https://flic.kr/p/TNruzb) by C.M.Z (https://www.flickr.com/photos/30169694@N08/), auf Flickr

I specially have an interest in vintage Pelikan pencils:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4395/36486233141_dd3027a777_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/XAatXc)Pelikan 450 & 570 (https://flic.kr/p/XAatXc) by C.M.Z (https://www.flickr.com/photos/30169694@N08/), auf Flickr

and vintage Caran d'Ache Fixpencil leadholders:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4893/45956648091_7a45fe7f4c_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2d22Qnz)Caran d'Ache Fixpencil (https://flic.kr/p/2d22Qnz) by C.M.Z (https://www.flickr.com/photos/30169694@N08/), auf Flickr

C.

Very nice collection and impressive photography.
Nice one Christ!! well done!!

Cyril
September 18th, 2020, 12:20 PM
I don't know if I am collecting Pencils but this is what I have.:cool:

Cyril
September 18th, 2020, 12:24 PM
I like the matching pen to this pencil.

rrrccc111
October 5th, 2020, 11:46 AM
I have collected pencils when I was studying at university. I keep this collection at my parents' house.

wingwiper
October 24th, 2020, 11:56 AM
not as much as FP's, but yes every now and then will pick one up. I see their value has started increasing as well (popular manufacturers), however many of the 2nd-3rd tier mechanical pencil manufacturers can still be picked up cheap.

eachan
October 24th, 2020, 12:21 PM
I don't collect them but I do buy Mabie Todd Fyne Poynt pencils. They go as presents to good customers.

Chrissy
October 25th, 2020, 06:14 AM
I don't collect them but I do buy Mabie Todd Fyne Poynt pencils. They go as presents to good customers.
Wow. How wonderful. :) Good for you. :)

Just before last Christmas I received a little present from Diamine as a thank you for my ink reviews. Sadly we were in Naples Florida celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary when it was delivered, so some kind soul nicked it from off of my doorstep. I'm convinced it was the delivery company who knew it was there. :(

eachan
October 25th, 2020, 06:27 AM
That's very sad, and quite angry-making, Chrissy. No names, no pack drill, but was the company H*r*e*, perhaps?

Chrissy
October 25th, 2020, 07:00 AM
That's very sad, and quite angry-making, Chrissy. No names, no pack drill, but was the company H*r*e*, perhaps?
The delivery company did indeed fit that format yes. :( They supplied a photo showing the box inside the porch area. They failed to say whether they passed by later and it was still there though. :( From it's box it was very obviously a hamper with food and wine in there. My OH is still much more angry than I am. :( Hey ho. What you never had you never miss.....

eachan
October 25th, 2020, 09:17 AM
They are a really rotten delivery company. They managed to lose a pen that Deb bought a couple of weeks ago. We were compensated but you can never be really compensated for the loss of a good pen. Your loss is evidently a much greater one. I do wish people would stop using them.

Warren
November 5th, 2020, 12:08 PM
'Collect' as far as I like buying things to try out, to see how well they fit my hand and how well they work for the job. I don't tend to get bitten by the vintage bug or swayed by looks, with exceptions. A big one being that knurled, bare aluminium pencils leave me cold. Not too many Rotrings for me.

The upshot is my collection is full of things that are cheap as chips. Almost disposable.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50570311661_49339602bc_o.jpg

I'm fond of the Pentel 120s. The blue 0.7 and yellow 0.9 are the oldest MPs I have. The black 0.5 is a recent replacement for a Pilot Supergrip I had since I was little. Then a couple of weeks later I saw the limited edition green Pentel 205 and caught a rare dose of collectoritis. Now I have two 0.5mm pencils. It feels like an extravagance. The blue Pentel 207 is for blue Nano Dia leads - the model differentiates it's use from the 120.
All good except for those pointy sleeves that make fishing for them in your pocket a bit hazardous.

So I like throwing a pencil - often a thicker-lead mechanical pencil - in my pocket and going out to see what things there are to sketch. A bit less so since March, but anyway. The Derwent Precision has a sturdy brass body and a retractable sleeve. A bit wobbly, but usable. I usually remove clips because they get in the way when I rotate the pencils in my hand. This was kind of tricky with the Precision because it's clip isn't designed to come off. Hence the chipped lacquer at the top. The Mars micro: the sleeve is more stable, but also a lot harder to retract. I'm not really fond of it in other ways: the grip, and even the looks.

Clutch pencils/lead holders are something I haven't used for as long, but I still like them a lot. The Faber-Castell TK4600 is my oldest (the one I had for about a year before I realised "there's a lead pointer up in here!") and still my favourite. F-C leads are a bit hard and pale compared to the equivalents of other brands, though. For my tastes anyway. This one's currently holding onto a Mitsubishi Uni HB.
The TK9400 and Uni leadholders are good enough but I think the lack of a lead pointer lets them down. The LE black Staedtler is good but the included lead makes F-C seem soft and buttery. Koh-I-Noor Toison D'or is hefty metal but it can have a loose grip and the fittings tend to loosen and unscrew a bit too easily. Many times I've had to search my pockets for that cap. I have a Totiens 4B lead in it so it doesn't have to exert too much pressure, in a couple of ways. The Kaweco Sport is something a little bit special, in my view. Despite that big wide crack in the nose, it still firmly chomps down on the lead. The stubby length turned out to lend itself to the overhand grip, and so did the side of that soft, dark lead. Lovely. Kaweco 5B(?) makes the F-C 6B in the TK9400 feel like rubbing the page with a stick of granite.

I had the Uni Style-fit multipens, 3-way and the Meister 5-way. I was interested in the idea of sticking multiple pencil mechanisms - and some pens - in one body, but the way the mechanisms necessarily bend didn't work well with coloured leads; I lost the 3-way; and the 5-way is a giant, chunky, unwieldy thing. (Unless someone wants to buy it off me, in which case it's a sleek, versatile instrument with a good wide grip)

A while ago I thought of the list of little things that I like and dislike about mechanical pencils. It turned out to be embarrassingly long. When I looked for a pencil that checked all the right boxes (0.9mm, retractable sleeve, not a Mars micro...) the only one that fit was the Kokuyo Enpitsu Sharp. I bought the Mx model from a Japanese seller on ebay, and I'm still waiting on the boat.
In the meantime, I've got another on the way. When I knuckled down to search for a forest green Parker 51 FP, I managed to snap up a good-looking pen and pencil set. My first nod towards collecting vintage pencils. It's the push-cap version, I think.

I'll have three 0.9mm pencils. It feels like an extravagance.

christof
November 5th, 2020, 02:51 PM
https://www.flickr.com/gp/30169694@N08/12L608

Warren
November 7th, 2020, 03:17 PM
Yeah, photos like that in this thread are making me take a closer look at vintage pencils. :)

Bisquitlips
November 10th, 2020, 06:57 PM
And a couple more:

Montblanc Pix Pencil

https://live.staticflickr.com/4189/34305679880_246420ed90_z.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/4160/34305680500_5e7109b13c_z.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/4176/34650175836_f3befd00a1_n.jpg

Conklin Endura Pencil. Some brassing on the clip, but still a nice example.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50588795676_85c12cb3b0.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50588915667_e530100a59.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50588915587_bd3f86efbc.jpg

Bisquitlips
November 10th, 2020, 07:08 PM
Really enjoy this one! Graf von Faber Castell Pernambuco Wood Pencil

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50588941027_8e9075fcda.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50588940977_f2d4e5f614.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50588821956_3c28948677_w.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50588821781_d1a64629c9.jpg

NumberSix
March 18th, 2021, 02:01 PM
I kind of do, in that I collect ballpoint and pencil combos. I was going to say "sets", but the truth is half the time I have to get the pen and pencil separately. And they don't always match in color - I have a Montblanc Classique pair where the BP is black and the pencil is burgundy.

Because of that, I have nearly 2 dozen mechanical pencils paired with a ballpoint. And several pairs on the way right now: Lamy 2000 BP/MP, Tactile Turn slim copper pencil/titanium pen, and Parker Vector BP/MP (probably from the 80s).

And of course I do have 6 or 10 other pencils that aren't part of that collection.

Chip
March 24th, 2021, 08:45 PM
Here's a selection.

Parker DuoFold Big Red
https://i.imgur.com/0uSSSui.jpg

Eagle Simplex
https://i.imgur.com/Nll12k2.jpg

Sheaffer imprinted for my grandfather's company (he loved Sheaffer pens).
https://i.imgur.com/w1Ik1Gw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/x8h3KuO.jpg

Nardi Tri-Kolor (takes three leads in different colors.)
https://i.imgur.com/gaosZfQ.jpg

PhillipDine
April 15th, 2021, 01:11 AM
I don't know if I am collecting Pencils but this is what I have.:cool:

I guess that's how collections come about - to find out at one point that I already have a good set

Dougc
March 7th, 2022, 05:30 PM
Right after fountain pens my favorite form of writing. I have tons of them.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Dougc
March 18th, 2022, 12:46 PM
I try and get a pencil to match brands when I can i.e. I have an Omas pencil for my omas FP's, one for my montegrappas, Namikis, Stipulas,etc.

This is addition to just a ton of MP's and pencil holders.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

christof
March 19th, 2022, 03:09 PM
lately. I was able to catch this Faber Castell alpha-matic:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51917091327_daa90692b1_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2n6JEug)Faber Castell alpha-matic Titanium 0.5mm (https://flic.kr/p/2n6JEug) by C.M.Z (https://www.flickr.com/photos/30169694@N08/), auf Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51917096602_2dbc26ce84_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2n6JG4d)Faber Castell alpha-matic Titanium_ (https://flic.kr/p/2n6JG4d) by C.M.Z (https://www.flickr.com/photos/30169694@N08/), auf Flickr

these were something of the best one could buy in the 1990's. I remember, the price was high, but far from prices today...

Cyril
May 22nd, 2022, 06:43 AM
Some early ones,
Some English ones,
Some German ones with a very large Salamander, with an English Waverly Envoy at the end
Some American ones but starting with a couple of German ones, a Greif and one with no name that seems a Kaweco and two really nice ones (I believe),
a Waterman and a LeBoeuf...

Happy New Year to all !

This is a beautiful collection. I am using pencils and dip pens.

I am also interested in the collection. As some of my antique pencils family seems to be growing. If any pencil is useable and have the possibility use a replaceable leds I am using them.
I have also a fare amount of current pencils.

Chrissy
May 23rd, 2022, 02:05 AM
I found 4 in the drawer on my desk so put them together for a quick picture. My favourites are the Tombow and the Lamy because i prefer that barrel thickness when I'm writing. :)

The Tombow has a great "click" mechanism that works with or without the cap being posted. :) I have 2 of them. The one pictured is my spare that's never been used.

Chuck Naill
May 29th, 2022, 01:49 PM
I obtained several Autopoint and very early Parker 51 mechanicals. I prefer the Autopoint brand .

BoBo Olson
September 9th, 2022, 01:04 PM
I just lucked out with a 1934-36 Auch Pelikan MP....it works...polished up ok.
I won a live auction lot of pens. The one in the middle is that MP, could well have been bought with the 100 as a matching set.
https://i.imgur.com/SXx7eYC.jpg

I don't 'collect' MP's. I never cared fro them as long as I could remember...I have a few Jotters and that P-75 MP/BP (I have the lead cartridges for it.) I would normally rather use a real pencil.

Then in a live auction lot was a 450 Pelikan MP, that sat neglected for ages, before I picked it up to scribble a note.....six weeks later it ran out of lead and I had to find out how to load it....so I came back to fountain pens.

That mechanical pencil has the best balance I've run into. I will admit that I haven't enough MPs to have that mean anything.
The 450 18g is a tad heavier than this 'new' old Pelikan MP Auch Pelikan 15g.
The NOS D-200 with price tag, is only 15g.
I was surprised the 450 was heavier than the D-200, in in my hand it felt like the D-200 was sturdier.

BoBo Olson
September 9th, 2022, 01:14 PM
Going through the thread...I remembered I have more than I remember.
Including those of the turn of last century.
On advertising MP with a 4 number telephone number, 20's-30's. Looks like a clone of a Parker.
Will have to gather and photo them.
Designer pen from early '50's.
https://i.imgur.com/kDk0aIs.jpg

BoBo Olson
September 10th, 2022, 06:50 AM
The collection I didn't know I had!
I now have go into our flea market stuff and rescue some @ 1900's MP's we were going to sell............You see I didn't know I had a collection., in 14 MPs = a collection.
German '30's or there abouts. The Camouflage one is a Kaweco (date I don't know), the little blue one has small 'gold' thin wires running through it and it is mandrel wrapped. Before the war most pens were mandrel wrapped.
The gold ring one is 14 K gold.
The black one is 'no name'.
https://i.imgur.com/AaVIaN8.jpg
Fountain pen is an 14 K overlay over a fishbone pattern pen, (suspect a Herletz Luxor) Pfortzhemim clip. Similar to the clips on the silver pens down below.)https://i.imgur.com/CKhIW6H.jpg

The Orange one is the one from a Pharmacy with a 4 number long telephone number that looks like a Parker clone..........Germany then was the clone capitol of the world..pre-Japan&China.. Parker had bought up Osmia and tried to sell it's Duofold....which was much too expensive with all the cheap knock off's of it floating around.
The one in the middle a FP/MP is a mandrel wrapped late '30's Wearever.
The other is a designer piece...A.W.Faber-Castell Tekagraph 900 made in Germany. Early '50's.
https://i.imgur.com/IoPSSkU.jpg

Pelikan, Auch-Pelikan 1934-36, mid-late '50's 450 and a NOS price tagged D 200 out of a NOS three pen set.
https://i.imgur.com/iGVDCfg.jpg

Two Parkers and a Waterman I'd not know I had...(same with the matching Waterman BP) The Parker is thin, and it's matching BP stolen. Have look up to find out what those were named.
https://i.imgur.com/EfqwcaY.jpg

Silver pens, the 925 Parker MP "P-75" There is two...the P-75 and the Classic....obviously some small difference I didn't catch. I have always thought of it as the P-75's little brother. Next to it is a Parker lead cartridge, that came with it.
The most fancy one is 900 silver. The other 835 which means it is after the mid thirties, when the Germans went from 800 to 835 for it to be silver. They had to match the Scandinavians and Belgium silver content to be sold there as silver.
The middle one has some light line patterns. https://i.imgur.com/t3osyLd.jpg

evanhouseman
September 13th, 2022, 03:32 PM
collect, or accumulate, I don't know.
I'd say the jewel in the crown is the 600 Newton

BoBo Olson
September 15th, 2022, 09:11 AM
When one has accumulated enough, it looks like a collection to me.........a collection does not need to be all of one brand or era.

joolstacho
September 16th, 2022, 08:17 PM
A few collected along the way. The star (for me) is the enormous fat lead 'Bohemia 5327' - The best life-drawing pencil imaginable. A few cheapos, and I love my Green stripey Pelican.
(Forgive the rough quick-pic).

BoBo Olson
September 17th, 2022, 02:03 PM
My green stripped Pelikan a 450, was the first MP I ever used that enthralled me.

In the '60's, I'd always hated MP's, including the MP Jotter that was bought every year....any good pen got collected, FP/MP/BP by the sly handed. ....Thankfully the Bic came in. If one kept the top in one's mouth a Bic could last until it ran out of ink.

Being in a hurry I grabbed that 450 out of a BP pen holder for a short note........6 weeks later it ran out of lead, and I went back to fountain pens until I could figure out how to load it............

:noidea:If I start using it, I'll be monopolizing the for sale section with FPs, inks and papers.
So I have to keep thinking no one knows exactly how nice my display item really is. And admire it from afar. :jester:

Monsoon
November 26th, 2022, 12:04 AM
Altho I do not collect MPs my fave is a Pilot S20 in the red wood finish. That said, the pipe where the lead comes out has a tendency to poke holes in pockets which is a pain. Heard there was an updated version called the S30 with a retractable pipe so this will no happen. Anyone got one they can give a quick review on?

Monsoon
November 26th, 2022, 01:02 AM
https://i.imgur.com/ZvehLSjl.jpg

These are my pencils. From the left to the right;

A Pilot S20 in the red wood finish. This has a B softness lead
A Koh i Noor Toison D'or. A lead holder rather than an MP
A Pentel Graphgear 1000. This has a .9mm lead refill
A Pentel S445. It's an old one I used for engineering drawing. No idea what lead is in it
A Ritepoint pencil. Came in a box of pen parts. Don't know what lead is in it. Has an inscription that says "Union Mutual Fire Insurance 1875 - 1950", so probably a gift or promotional pencil. I wonder if there was a matching pen originally
A Worther stubby lead holder with a 3.5mm lead - I've been looking at an e+m sketch pencil in the zebrano wood. Could be an Xmas gift to self!!

Far left is an unsharpened Mitsubishi 9800EW for scale.

usk15
November 26th, 2022, 08:42 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/50swXnFV/IMG-20221126-153748544.jpg (https://postimg.cc/FdJfqbZW)

https://i.postimg.cc/CMtq9ZGm/IMG-20221126-153756755.jpg (https://postimg.cc/5jByC2kC)

Monsoon
November 26th, 2022, 07:43 PM
Erm, five from the left in the top row. Is that one of the Mistubishi whiskey-wood pencils?

Bisquitlips
November 26th, 2022, 11:58 PM
Love mechanicals!

I love the 4 color pencils. Both new and older examples!

usk15
November 27th, 2022, 12:27 AM
Erm, five from the left in the top row. Is that one of the Mistubishi whiskey-wood pencils?

Yes, uni Mitsubishi PURE MALT 0.5mm Mechanical Pencil M51015.22 Dark Brown

VertOlive
November 28th, 2022, 11:52 AM
Anyone see anything new and interesting out there in the new pencil market?

Monsoon
November 30th, 2022, 07:10 PM
On the fence about the S30. The Graphgear was bought to get round the problem of the lead pipe on the S20 (graphgear is retractable). Loved that alpha-matic titanium a few posts up the page! Unobtainable at reasonable prices today. Otherwise/......

Lloyd
November 30th, 2022, 11:08 PM
On the fence about the S30. The Graphgear was bought to get round the problem of the lead pipe on the S20 (graphgear is retractable). Loved that alpha-matic titanium a few posts up the page! Unobtainable at reasonable prices today. Otherwise/......
Would a lead pencil point protector cap fit the S20?
https://blog.penvibe.com/the-7-best-pencil-caps-to-protect-pencil-points/

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™

catbert
December 1st, 2022, 11:25 AM
Around my desk:

Penxo
Koh-i-noor
Koh-i-noor
Parker

And after some rummaging:

Staedtler
Tombow
Sheaffer

The two Koh-i-noors get most use.

Chrissy
December 3rd, 2022, 12:49 AM

https://i.imgur.com/ZvehLSjl.jpg

A Pilot S20 in the red wood finish. This has a B softness lead
A Koh i Noor Toison D'or. A lead holder rather than an MP
A Pentel Graphgear 1000. This has a .9mm lead refill
A Pentel S445. It's an old one I used for engineering drawing. No idea what lead is in it
A Ritepoint pencil. Came in a box of pen parts. Don't know what lead is in it. Has an inscription that says "Union Mutual Fire Insurance 1875 - 1950", so probably a gift or promotional pencil. I wonder if there was a matching pen originally
A Worther stubby lead holder with a 3.5mm lead - I've been looking at an e+m sketch pencil in the zebrano wood. Could be an Xmas gift to self!!

Far left is an unsharpened Mitsubishi 9800EW for scale.
Nice coincidence that you both own a Pilot S20 and an old Worther stubby lead holder. :)

FredRydr
December 3rd, 2022, 04:32 AM
A Pilot S20 ...
A Worther stubby lead holder....
Nice coincidence that you both own a Pilot S20 and an old Worther stubby lead holder.
That's no coincidence. The telltale is the unusual Worther and as he twice describes it. It's just another example of him forgetting he's using one of his pseudonyms. Though it's good to put new members on notice, it's best to ignore him.

christof
December 3rd, 2022, 09:47 AM
did you know that the Wörther Stubby is in fact related to Parker?

https://parkerpens.net/stumpy.html

I have one as well:

https://live.staticflickr.com/4182/33999724140_3eac378be3_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/TNrtsm)Fallminenstifte (https://flic.kr/p/TNrtsm) by C.M.Z (https://www.flickr.com/photos/c_m_z/), auf Flickr

Chrissy
December 3rd, 2022, 10:26 AM
The name Parker Stumpy sounds so much better. :) What on earth is that very thick one? That must be the fattest pencil I've ever seen. :) The writing has almost completely rubbed off of the side so I can't work it out but the characters left might be either Chinese or Japanese.

Edited to add that the photo from the Parker Stumpy page that christof linked to shows both the Parker Stumpy and the Worther Shorty together. @christof which one is yours? Parker Stumpy or Worther Shorty? I would guess Parker?

Farmboy
December 3rd, 2022, 05:23 PM
What size lead does your pencil take?

Farmboy
December 3rd, 2022, 06:36 PM

Most of mine are 0.046 but 1 in 5 is 0.036.

724Seney
December 3rd, 2022, 07:22 PM
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead."
Stan Laurel

Jon Szanto
December 3rd, 2022, 08:33 PM

Are you really talking about leads that are in the range of 4/100 of an inch? or mm? Or is there an extra zero after the decimal?

Farmboy
December 3rd, 2022, 10:46 PM

Are you really talking about leads that are in the range of 4/100 of an inch? or mm? Or is there an extra zero after the decimal?
I’m fairly certain he meant inches. I have some Esterbrook pencils so marked. I realize he is a Parker guy but they seem to have used the same lead sizes.

Jon Szanto
December 3rd, 2022, 11:46 PM
I’m fairly certain he meant inches. I have some Esterbrook pencils so marked. I realize he is a Parker guy but they seem to have used the same lead sizes.

Well, I'll be damned. Somehow that seemed like inordinately thin material, but I just took out the micrometer and measured the lead in my Duofold Sr pencil, and it appears to be 0.04". I don't think it is the original lead but it is a good fit with neither play nor binding.

Chrissy
December 4th, 2022, 02:51 AM
Having recently seen some images showing thicker pencil leads I remembered that I had another pencil that I reviewed some time ago.
It's a Kaweco Sketch Up Brilliant (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/17071-Pocket-Clutch-Pencil-Review-Kaweco-Sketch-Up-Brilliant)

I haven't seen that around here for quite some time and must have a look around to find it again. :) I only have the original lead that fits it.

christof
December 5th, 2022, 02:24 AM
I did a quick comparison of the Parker Stumpy and the Wörther Shorty. In fact, there are tiny differences which makes me think that the Wörther is an economised variant of the Parker:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52542019422_41a1e1ce6b_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2o3XzQA)Wörther Shorty and Parker Stumpy_1 (https://flic.kr/p/2o3XzQA) by C.M.Z (https://www.flickr.com/photos/c_m_z/), auf Flickr

The Clip of the Wörther is plastic instead of metal and is not spring loaded as the one from Parker

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52542478861_0a29cd7a3e_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2o3ZWpX)Wörther Shorty and Parker Stumpy_3 (https://flic.kr/p/2o3ZWpX) by C.M.Z (https://www.flickr.com/photos/c_m_z/), auf Flickr

The tip of the Parker has an additional Metal collar to avoid cracks in the plastic (wich is a necessary feature):
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52542478906_d399c716e3_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2o3ZWqJ)Wörther Shorty and Parker Stumpy_2 (https://flic.kr/p/2o3ZWqJ) by C.M.Z (https://www.flickr.com/photos/c_m_z/), auf Flickr

...and I made an additional Foto of my other stubby lead holders:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52542019452_702cb49d66_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2o3XzR7)Parker Stumpy and other fat lead holder (https://flic.kr/p/2o3XzR7) by C.M.Z (https://www.flickr.com/photos/c_m_z/), auf Flickr

Additional information:

The Parker Shorty was originally designed by the Swiss designer Kurt Süss and manufactured by Parker Pen GmbH, Baden-Baden, Germany

https://www.emuseum.ch/en/objects/details/230999?ctx=f90b11b6bec4a099d3c6ef0a3135328af902cb6 9&idx=0

edit: interestingly, the site of IF design award calls the Parker "shorty"...

https://ifdesign.com/en/winner-ranking/project/shorty-bleistift/15494

Chrissy
December 5th, 2022, 02:32 AM
@christof Thank you for the comparison and the images. :) There are occasions when I find myself wondering if there is anything you don't have LOL

christof
December 5th, 2022, 03:46 AM
... if there is anything you don't have LOL

..is it not that, what makes a serious/pathologic collector. :D

completely different question: does someone have the complete "La Nave" series by Tombow ? ...would be interested to see fotos and further informations...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51082347532_712f748089_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kPYoeS)Tombow Oceanic (https://flic.kr/p/2kPYoeS) by C.M.Z (https://www.flickr.com/photos/c_m_z/), auf Flickr

Monsoon
December 7th, 2022, 10:37 PM
On the road a fair bit for work so fat leads and short pencils are like to get lost easily. The Graphgear 1000 stood up well even in the heat and humidty: this is why fountain/ballpoints don't work well outsider where there is no aircon. May look at rOtring 800 as a more solid compromise.

FredRydr
December 8th, 2022, 06:46 AM
Oh please. Absolutely shameless.

Monsoon
December 8th, 2022, 04:52 PM
Sitting with my usual bowl of khao tom and see this message pop up on my iPhone. How so? It is a mechanical pencil not a status symbol. I landed here after a google query showed this at the top of the list. Didn't expect to get knuckl;es rapped for what tool I was looking at buying. There were 3 candidates, the rOtring 800, the TWSBI precision, and the Pentel Kerry. As one handed operation is preferred the Kerry is out. Leaving the 800 and precision. The latter is lots less money. The former has nurling on the grip. Both have retractible lead pipes, both seem to be made from metal. Colors don't matter. Leaning to 800 on company reputation. Arguments for Precision welcome.

724Seney
December 8th, 2022, 06:42 PM
Oh please. Absolutely shameless.

Didn't take very long, did it?
The beat goes on...................

Monsoon
December 9th, 2022, 07:21 PM
I'm from the Lone Star state boy and I don't take horseshit from anyone, least of all the offspring of a Pennsylvania peasant and his favorite goat.

If there are no persuasive pros for the TWSB precision over the R800 I will put in an order for the latter, maybe as a set with the ballpoint version seeing as it takes Parker G2 type refills.

724Seney
December 9th, 2022, 07:56 PM
I'm from the Lone Star state boy and I don't take horseshit from anyone, least of all the offspring of a Pennsylvania peasant and his favorite goat.

If there are no persuasive pros for the TWSB precision over the R800 I will put in an order for the latter, maybe as a set with the ballpoint version seeing as it takes Parker G2 type refills.

Ah, the Lone Star State. Where the skies are "Empty of Clouds" all day.
Home, home on the range...............

Monsoon
December 9th, 2022, 09:27 PM
If you want to persist in showing yourself off as a grade A moron, I ain't gonna stand in your way, son. Dumbasses are common on the internet so you ain't unique.

724Seney
December 10th, 2022, 08:08 AM
Well howdy pod-na, you must be assumin' we all think you're new around these parts.
But, here's the thing, this here place is a lot like that bar on the TV show they called "Cheers." You know, that place where they claimed "everybody knows your name."
Ya see, we're not as dumb as you think, we know a fake accent when we hear it and we can always smell the phony greenhorn behind it.
And, by the way, that "Ta" act you was trying to put over on us the other day didn't fool anyone either.
So why don't you just mosey on along and go back to your EoC special prairie dog hole or wherever else it is you just came from..........
We'd sure 'preciate your hibernating for a while longer.

Farmboy
December 10th, 2022, 11:28 AM
I’m unaware of a grade A pencil

The Bs, the Hs, the HB, and even an F, but no As.

I suspect significantly less options in mechanical pencils but prefer wood cased.

Stands on Feet
December 10th, 2022, 01:29 PM

Chrissy
December 10th, 2022, 02:28 PM
I didn't know there were quite so many pencil grades.

Monsoon
December 10th, 2022, 06:23 PM
Got me to wondering if the "harder" grades of lead are more brittle or prone to breaking. Always gone with B or 2B for the darker mark.

Putting the order in for the R800 with Pental Ain Stein leads, preferred brand. Anyone got any experience to share about the Staedtler Mars Micro colored leads? Available in blue, green and red.

Chuck Naill
December 11th, 2022, 06:48 AM
I read the reason Steinbeck used the Blackwing 602 was because it was dark and didn't require much pressure. I tried the reissued Palamino 602, but found I enjoyed the Mitsubishi 9850 just as much and for much less cost.

Monsoon
December 14th, 2022, 03:22 AM
It'd be nice to try an original Blackwing just for the experience. Wood pencils don't hold up under the abuse I'd give them in the field. Hence the R800!

Chrissy
December 14th, 2022, 04:48 AM
But we need to know: are you exactly "in the field" or are you possibly merely in a University? As an example your Avatar image shows the now famous image of the orangutan sheltering from the rain, under a leaf in Indonesia, but although you say you're in Thailand "-mostly" you also say you're from Texas. You don't sound like a Texan. So....How do we truffle out the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?

Chuck Naill
December 14th, 2022, 07:17 AM
It'd be nice to try an original Blackwing just for the experience. Wood pencils don't hold up under the abuse I'd give them in the field. Hence the R800!

I would also, but they are too pricy. So, I guess I am not that interested in the experience. I agree, wood pencils do get abused and some chewed...LOL!!

Welcome, Monsoon. As always, Illegitimi non carborundum.;)

Chuck Naill
December 14th, 2022, 09:29 AM
But we need to know: are you exactly "in the field" or are you possibly merely in a University? As an example your Avatar image shows the now famous image of the orang utan sheltering from the rain, under a leaf in Indonesia, but although you say you're in Thailand "-mostly" you also say you're from Texas. You don't sound like a Texan. So....How do we truffle out the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?

We really do not need to know. :thumb:

724Seney
December 14th, 2022, 09:37 AM
But we need to know: are you exactly "in the field" or are you possibly merely in a University? As an example your Avatar image shows the now famous image of the orang utan sheltering from the rain, under a leaf in Indonesia, but although you say you're in Thailand "-mostly" you also say you're from Texas. You don't sound like a Texan. So....How do we truffle out the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?

Thanks Chrissy.
Your perceptive posts are "like sunshine on a CLOUDY day!" (My Girl Temptations 1965)
:wink:

724Seney
December 14th, 2022, 09:38 AM

Cuz we already do???
:confused:

Chuck Naill
December 14th, 2022, 09:39 AM

Cuz we already do???

Well, my suggestion is to mind your own business. :crazy:

724Seney
December 14th, 2022, 09:44 AM

Cuz we already do???

Your suggestion is duly noted for what it is and from where it came.
:puke:

Chuck Naill
December 14th, 2022, 10:07 AM

Cuz we already do???

Your suggestion is duly noted for what it is and from where it came.
:puke:

I had no illusion you'd remotely consider, but the new member doesn't need a pile-on. He/she is no better or worse than you.

724Seney
December 14th, 2022, 10:11 AM
The "new member?"
:stop:
C'mon Candy/Chuck................

Chuck Naill
December 14th, 2022, 10:36 AM
The "new member?"
:stop:
C'mon Candy/Chuck................

I understand @dneal/@724Seny/@scott, but at least he or she has only one forum profile. :bump2:

Farmboy
December 14th, 2022, 08:53 PM
I have never used a Palamino abomination of the Blackwing 602. I have a solid supply of originals that should be enough to make it to the end. Unfortunately outsiders now need to pay up to sharpen one.

Monsoon
December 14th, 2022, 10:49 PM
One of the member asked what I mean by "in the field". For my work it usually refers to plantations, developed or in development. My focus is on what is grown, the quality of the produce, quantity and how accessible it is for transport. Cost negotiation starts with me too. It is what I do.

Same member also wrote some trash about not "speaking like a Texan" in my messages here. Damn, that is a real stupid statement. I ain't college educated, worked my way from loader to my current position, but I am a enthusiastic reader. I reckon the member who made that statement should go after most modern American authors cause few if any wrote in a fashion that could be identified as American in style. Or other US members here who don't write in "American". I reckon the member referred to thinks that all Americans match the stereotypes for each state. As a guy who has lived and worked for most of the last 40 years across the world, the members attitude is stunningly parochial. Most people can tell I'm American when I talk. My accent doesn't place me by state much as it has been influenced by time away and being in prolonged contact with so many other accents and ways of phrasing things. Even the family notices this when I visit.

Don't make the error that just cause I ain't a college man that I don't have capacity to learn, process and understand the world as I encounter it.

My image is of an Orangutan sheltering from the monsoon. Living in Chiang Mai I came to love the monsoon season. All the windows open for any breeze that could be caught. Sitting on the stoop watching the green and listening to the steady fall of rain. Any person who has fell into a deep sleep as rain pattered on their roof during a calm night knows just how relaxing it is. So, I chose the word as my online name. No mystery to it. And I have a special fondness for Orangs. Something you wouldn't appreciate without direct experience.

Blackwing pencils. Read a bit on the history, interesting. One question that comes to my mind is why no other company, or an offshoot of the parent company, has access to the lead formula if it was considered so good.

Farmboy
December 14th, 2022, 11:19 PM
Is Texas still a state? I heard somewhere they wanted to be a country.

Chrissy
December 15th, 2022, 01:14 AM
Same member also wrote some trash about not "speaking like a Texan".
Actually no I didn't say anything about speaking. All I said was you don't sound like a Texan. That's different. Just a small insignificant observation. I wasn't abusive or aggressive and didn't call you stupid or parochial or any other names and you didn't need to be abusive or aggressive in your response. Nor did I ramble on about it for a long paragraph.

Enjoy your pencils wherever you are, be it Texas, Thailand or anywhere else.

Monsoon
December 15th, 2022, 03:29 AM
Check post number 211. You question my candor several times, like this: "But we need to know: are you exactly "in the field" or are you possibly merely in a University? As an example your Avatar image shows the now famous image of the orangutan sheltering from the rain, under a leaf in Indonesia, but although you say you're in Thailand "-mostly" you also say you're from Texas. You don't sound like a Texan. So....How do we truffle out the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? " That is deeply offensive to me, and as I have already stated I don't take horseshit from anyone. Instead of getting to talk about pencils that interest me I get dragged into some weird ass internal fight. What sort of people are you and what kind of new members are you expecting to join if this is an example of typical gatekeeping here.

I am on R&R now. Heading to Phang Nga in a few days to do some surfing, if there is some. I suck, took it up late in life. It is addictive.

When I get back to home and work maybe the conversation can turn to pencils and not weird ass conspiracy shit.

Chuck Naill
December 15th, 2022, 06:15 AM
Check post number 211. You question my candor several times, like this: "But we need to know: are you exactly "in the field" or are you possibly merely in a University? As an example your Avatar image shows the now famous image of the orangutan sheltering from the rain, under a leaf in Indonesia, but although you say you're in Thailand "-mostly" you also say you're from Texas. You don't sound like a Texan. So....How do we truffle out the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? " That is deeply offensive to me, and as I have already stated I don't take horseshit from anyone. Instead of getting to talk about pencils that interest me I get dragged into some weird ass internal fight. What sort of people are you and what kind of new members are you expecting to join if this is an example of typical gatekeeping here.

I am on R&R now. Heading to Phang Nga in a few days to do some surfing, if there is some. I suck, took it up late in life. It is addictive.

When I get back to home and work maybe the conversation can turn to pencils and not weird ass conspiracy shit.

She's backpedaling.

No one needs to know any personal information that you don't want to share. They don't share their personal information. I've been hacked and scammed by at least two members, but suspect they are the same person. Just stick to pencil talk on this section and you'll be fine.

724Seney
December 15th, 2022, 06:40 AM
Enjoy your pencils wherever you are, be it Texas, Thailand or anywhere else.

Hmmm......like maybe New Zealand??
:dirol:

dneal
December 15th, 2022, 06:59 AM
I don’t collect them, but I do seem to accumulate some.

As for “aircon”… a Texan would have said “air”, “AC” or “air conditioning”.

Chuck Naill
December 15th, 2022, 07:17 AM
Actually, a Texan said when the power grid went down and 700 died, "I need a ticket to Cancun".

724Seney
December 15th, 2022, 09:05 AM
Actually, a Texan said when the power grid went down and 700 died, "I need a ticket to Cancun".

Hi Candy/Chuck-

I'm not sure what you're talking about in your many posts which bemoan "whataboutism?"
Would this be a good example?
Thanks, in advance, for the clarification.
Happy Holidays!

Stands on Feet
December 15th, 2022, 09:13 AM
Hey, guys. Take it to the Politics part of the Forum. It doesn't belong here.

Chuck Naill
December 15th, 2022, 09:22 AM

Hi Candy/Chuck-

I'm not sure what you're talking about in your many posts which bemoan "whataboutism?"
Would this be a good example?
Thanks, in advance, for the clarification.
Happy Holidays!

You never responded when asked about your demographics. Why hold a new member to a different standard. Yes, happy holidays to both or all three of you.... ho ho ho

Chuck Naill
December 15th, 2022, 09:23 AM
Hey, guys. Take it to the Politics part of the Forum. It doesn't belong here.

No politics. I'm defending a new member from some old timers holding him/her to a standard for which they don't hold for themselves. They were the one's that mentioned Texas.

Farmboy
December 15th, 2022, 09:43 AM
In the event of an “aircon”, “air”, “AC” or “air conditioning” problem wouldn't a Texan say "Burn baby burn"?

Chuck Naill
December 15th, 2022, 01:06 PM
Anybody here actually from Texas that actually knows the acceptable vernacular?

dneal
December 15th, 2022, 01:53 PM
I have to admit this thread got me to wondering about mechanical pencils, because I really don't give them any thought.

I like the government/Skilcraft ones the best, but they must all be down in the shop. The 1.0mm works best for marking rough cuts, and the 0.7 for finer wood measurement.

Glancing around the office I suppose I have an affinity for Staedtler. The Kaweco goes with an old 112 Sport.

Chrissy
December 15th, 2022, 02:00 PM
Does anyone know if that very thin tube like the ones on the Staedtlers is available as a spare part?

Chuck Naill
December 18th, 2022, 02:45 PM
Just won another Rocket pencil just now for $4.00. I have plenty of lead and original erasers.

Lloyd
December 18th, 2022, 05:13 PM
Just won another Rocket pencil just now for $4.00. I have plenty of lead and original erasers.
What's a Rocket Pencil?

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™

Chuck Naill
December 19th, 2022, 07:29 AM
There are several "Rocket" versions. If I remember, these were introduced in the 1950's. I lost the resource that posted catalogues. Some area all plastic. Some have gold clips.

VertOlive
December 19th, 2022, 07:29 AM
Anybody here actually from Texas that actually knows the acceptable vernacular?

Texas here. Everyone I know says “air conditioning”…

Monsoon
December 21st, 2022, 02:37 AM
Surf's a washout with nothing better forecast. Heading back to the hills. People here still chasing there tails by the looks on it. Sad that there persists this belief that everyone has to speak or write in the stereotype of there birthplace, not taking into account the experiences and influences that people have in life. Could be part of the unique American stereotype I reckon.

Someone upstream asked about parts for Staedtler pencils, specifically the inside metal tube. I've not seen parts like that sold, though it may be found through businesses that manufacture metal capillary tubes, if they have the right inner and outer dimensions. Could be cut to length.

724Seney
December 21st, 2022, 06:51 AM
Surf's a washout with nothing better forecast. Heading back to the hills. People here still chasing there tails by the looks on it. Sad that there persists this belief that everyone has to speak or write in the stereotype of there birthplace, not taking into account the experiences and influences that people have in life. Could be part of the unique American stereotype I reckon.

Yep, I reckon.......
Sorry to hear you came up Empty dude. Surf should be back up soon.

Chuck Naill
December 21st, 2022, 11:57 AM
Troll warning.

christof
December 21st, 2022, 12:11 PM
…well, another thread got lost.

Monsoon
December 22nd, 2022, 02:24 AM
Looks like you've a small number of rotten apples in the barrel. Not my problem. I'm new here and only for the pencils.

724Seney
December 22nd, 2022, 04:43 AM
Looks like you've a small number of rotten apples in the barrel. Not my problem. I'm new here and only for the pencils.

Your game is fooling no one EoC.
If you don't want to get called out about it why don't you just stick to pencils and stop the snarky editorial comments?

Chuck Naill
December 22nd, 2022, 12:33 PM
I admit that learning about Autopoint Pencils to have been enjoyable. Hope you enjoy your time here, @monsoon.

Monsoon
December 22nd, 2022, 06:17 PM
Trying to enjoy, not easy with the conspiracy nuts about.

Always liked the Skilcraft double ended pencil. The older versions were better as the clip was sturdier. The newer ones not so much. Looks like Autopoint had a very similar model. Who copied who?

724Seney
December 22nd, 2022, 08:11 PM
Trying to enjoy, not easy with the conspiracy nuts about.

Conspiracy? What conspiracy?
It's not a conspiracy when you shine a light on the truth.

Regardless of what screen name EoC uses, he always sees himself as a victim!