PDA

View Full Version : Discoloration after long term storage old Caran d'ache inks??

Miss Thundercat
July 6th, 2014, 02:16 AM
A while back I've bought a few bottles of Caran d'ache old Caribbean Sea inks and last night when I went to ink up my pen I noticed that one of the bottles had a bit of a faded green color showing through. None of the blue goodness my other bottles have. I did a qtip swipe and to my horror the ink in the bottle turned a light greenish color over time!! I am completely shocked!! I have stored the bottles out of the light, in a drawer and the are tightly closed. I have no idea why all of a sudden the ink would change into this ugly green color :( Is there an expiration date on these inks? If so then I'm baffled because I can't find that on the bottle or any warnings that the inks may discolor over time. Anyone has this happen to any of their inks before?

The crappy part is with this color being discontinued and it being harder to find any more bottles I'm out one bottle due to fading and I can't easily replace it :( Does anyone have any experience with Caran d'ache customer service?

The blue is what the color is supposed to be and the green is the color now in one of my bottles :(
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/tapu4a3u.jpg

reprieve
July 6th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Oh no!

I had this problem a few years ago with a bottle of Blue Night. It started out as a lovely deep navy blue but within a year or so faded to an unappealing dirty grey. I had stored the bottle in a desk drawer, away from light, at a consistent temperature. I ended up just tossing it. It didn't occur to me at the time to try to contact Caran d'Ache.

I have bottles of all of the other colors in the now-discontinued Colors of the Earth series, and some of them are at least five years old now, and none of them have faded. I wonder what it is that causes some bottles of the same color to fade while others remain vivid for years.

Bogon07
July 6th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Oh oh - Caribbean Sea & Blue Night are my only Caran d'Ache inks.

Does shaking the bottle have any effect on the colour ?

Miss Thundercat
July 7th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Reprieve - yes, that is actually what happened with one of the blue nights I bought at an office supply store. When I came home and tested it, it was an ugly grey! I just thought it was a defected batch! I went back and got a different bottle. But this caribbean sea bottle has been in my posession for over 2 years...

Bogon07- i shook the bottle with all my might but nothing changed!! It's so weird it's like the color evaporated or something :(

Miss Thundercat
July 19th, 2014, 03:59 PM
I just have to say, Akkerman has some great service! I called them about this and I could return my bottle, they'll return it to CdA and got a new CS for it back. So happy about this :)