PDA

View Full Version : What should my next pen be?

tarheel1
July 7th, 2014, 08:11 PM
My current inventory consists of 3 pens and one on the way. They are
Montblanc 146 Platinum with a medium nib
Montblanc Jules Verne with a broad nib
Pelikan M805 Blue striped with stock Italic Broad nib
Pilot 912 Hermitage with a FA nib.

It might be a while but I am already researching my next pen purchase. Which should it be?
Sheaffer Balance oversized with a medium to broad nib or flex if I can find it?
Sheaffer PFM with a Broad or Stub nib?
Twsbi 580 or 580L with a 1.1 italic nib
Stipula with a T flex nib
Visconti Salvador Dali with a 23K paladium nib Broad
Sailor 1911 large with a music nib
or other pen and please state.

Chi Town
July 7th, 2014, 08:53 PM
I'm thinking that my next pen should be a Aurora Afrika Ballpoint, that way I will have all 3 in the set!

tarheel1
July 7th, 2014, 09:01 PM
I'm thinking that my next pen should be a Aurora Afrika Ballpoint, that way I will have all 3 in the set!

I am asking what My next pen should be lol

Chi Town
July 7th, 2014, 09:10 PM
HUH?

tarheel1
July 7th, 2014, 09:13 PM
You posted what your next pen should be. I was asking about what mine should be, unless I am mis understanding your post.

subramaniyam
July 7th, 2014, 09:16 PM
You wanted flex, right? Hence the vote.

Regards,
Sub

tarheel1
July 7th, 2014, 09:28 PM
You wanted flex, right? Hence the vote.

Regards,
Sub

Yep but I also have the fa nib which is flex.

Jon Szanto
July 7th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Why do you want the pen - to use, or to collect? The pens you listed are all over the place in terms of function and aesthetics. How about a little guidance as to what you are interested in.

tarheel1
July 7th, 2014, 09:53 PM
I use all my pens. I am interested in fountain pens that are about the size of m800 and 146. I dont want anything that can not be used.

Jon Szanto
July 7th, 2014, 10:19 PM
A Sheaffer OS is always a good pen to have, though you may be chasing a bit to find one with flex, as flex nibs weren't very common on the Balances. Comfortable to hold certainly.

And while many people go after PFM pens (and I've now had one for a few months), I find the pen - while a great writer - a bit light. Even though it has a large girth (hence a "manly" pen, I suppose), it doesn't sit in my hand as well.

Frankly, the best pen that has come into my possession lately came from a seller here on FPG: a beautiful Waterman Carene Deluxe, with a factory stub nib. Good grief, this pen is a wonder! Just enough weight that it settles solidly into hand, but never makes me tired, and while the nib is pretty much a nail, it is about the smoothest nail one could ever want, and I have yet to have this pen dry out. I won't say I bought it on a whim, but it wasn't a pen I was actively seeking. In the end, it has become one of my 3 favorite pens.

RuiFromUK
July 8th, 2014, 12:44 AM
Since you have a wide choice of pens to choose from, maybe I recommend that you try a MontBlanc 149 LeGrand? Sometime everyone has to try the smoothness of a MB fountain pen.

tarheel1
July 8th, 2014, 01:23 AM
Since you have a wide choice of pens to choose from, maybe I recommend that you try a MontBlanc 149 LeGrand? Sometime everyone has to try the smoothness of a MB fountain pen.
I have 2 montblanc pens already.

Tony Rex
July 8th, 2014, 01:59 AM
MontBlanc 149 LeGrand?

Montblanc 146 LeGrand. Montblanc 149 Diplomat..

Jeph
July 8th, 2014, 02:15 AM
Other than the TWSBI, for that much money you can have pretty much any pen that you want unless you go exotic. I think that you should just sit back with your eyes open and wait until you see something that speaks to you. And then you can ask questions about that specific pen.

reprieve
July 8th, 2014, 07:10 AM
Other than the TWSBI, for that much money you can have pretty much any pen that you want unless you go exotic. I think that you should just sit back with your eyes open and wait until you see something that speaks to you. And then you can ask questions about that specific pen.

This is great advice. I agree whole-heartedly.

da vinci
July 8th, 2014, 02:01 PM
I voted other. I suggest a Cross Townsend sterling silver with a BB nib (they have stubbish qualities in my experience). Good luck with the hunt.

tarheel1
July 8th, 2014, 02:07 PM
I voted other. I suggest a Cross Townsend sterling silver with a BB nib (they have stubbish qualities in my experience). Good luck with the hunt.
Pretty sure that is too small of a pen, but I have never seen them.

da vinci
July 8th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Pretty sure that is too small of a pen, but I have never seen them.

IIRC the dimensions are reasonably close to the Verne. Personally I was surprised at how substantial the pen felt. Have a look, also maybe a pleasant surprise in terms of cost (used). The nib is one of the best IMHO (although there is no flex).

Cob
July 8th, 2014, 04:11 PM
"Vintage" Onoto Magna

Cob

kaisnowbird
July 9th, 2014, 09:43 AM
I voted for the Visconti - I think you need an Italian one to balance things a bit more.