PDA

View Full Version : Do You Have a Local Pen Shop?

writingrav
June 13th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Despite the wonders of the internet, having an opportunity to see and touch pens, too lift bottles of ink to the light, and to feel the paper in a notebook used to be regular occurrences. When I moved to Center City Philadelphia 25 years ago there were at least four "Stationery" stores within walking distance. Now there are none (I don't count staples.) So, since it has been 6 months since the Philly show and I wanted to browse pens just for fun, I drove out to the Suburban Mall that houses Paradise Pen Company. It was not as dissappointing as I expected. There were Montblancs, Omas, Delta, Montegrippa, Viscontini, Pilot, Lamy and some I'd never heard of. It was fun to look and feel some of them. They had an excellent supply of Private Reserve ink as well as others like Montblanc, Visconti, Waterman, etc. I bought a bottle of PR Electric D.C. Blue that I'd been thinking about and then couldn't resist buying the electric blue looking Lamy Safari to load it with. Do you have a local pen shop nearby?

P.S.-Then I came home and read the post on the FAber-Castell Loom and being a sucker for purple, couldn't resist. Help me!

etoyoc
June 13th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Well I am sure there are places in Chicago, but otherwise none local that I know of. I went in Montblanc in Chicago once, looked around, got disapproving stares from employees. I didn't see any pens, so I left.

I think that if I were making a trip into Chicago just to go to a pen store, I might instead just keep driving another few hours to Appleton, or go south to the place by Indy.

Pinkys.Brain
June 13th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Well, my local shop is the Nagasawa shop in Kobe. You can test every pen, they have their own ink collection. And did I mention they have a lot of pens...

A minus is that Japanese shops almost always sell close to the MSRP.

http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/101218/nagasawa-kobe.gif

ianmedium
June 13th, 2012, 08:38 PM
We are very fortunate here in Vancouver. Firstly there is the Excellent Perks on Cambie and 41st. Richard the owner is a wonderful chap!
He stocks Mont Blanc, I think some Omas, Diplomat, Graff von Faber Castel, Waterman,Lamy, Conklin and I think I seem to remember seeing Delta in the mix as well. Cross, Sheaffer and I am sure there are a few more!
He also stocks Rhodia paper as well as most of the ink brands you can think of. I am spending extra time with Richard not only because he is a great fellow but he also allows the Vancouver Pen Club to meet once a month at his store and in his private time after the store is closed!

We also have Charrals and Vancouver pen store. Between them the also stock Mont Blanc and also parker, Pelikan, Cartier, Graff Von Faber Castell, and again plenty more that I can't remember. These are big stores as well and always keep a really large stock of the various brands and all of them are very knowledgable and true pen enthusiasts.
Oh, and one called La Swiss. They sell some Danitrio as well as Parker, Waterman and Dunhill. They are part of a chain of watch stores.

ink mixer
June 13th, 2012, 08:57 PM
My closest store is three hours away in Kansas City. Pen Place is nice. When I visit my parents in LA, the Fountain Pen Shop is a must visit.

Bogon07
June 13th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Well, my local shop is the Nagasawa shop in Kobe. You can test every pen, they have their own ink collection. And did I mention they have a lot of pens...

Nice shop ! And they have a stack of White Safaris with red clips too !

We have Kinokuniya in Sydney with access to a lot of stationery products not easily found in Australia. Some of their prices are quite high while others seem very reasonable.

Also in the city within lunchtime walking distance are Dymocks, City Stationers and the UltimatePen shop.

Near home in the local shopping centre there is a small printing and stationary shop which has a surprisingly large range.

goldiesdad
June 13th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Here in Austin all you have is Paradise Pen ... I travel to Houston and go to Dromgoole's GREAT store.
I fondled some of the best there very impressed now it is my go to store when I travel there.

geoduc
June 13th, 2012, 10:50 PM

I'm jealous of your access to the Sailor Kobe inks! I've had a chance to try a few and really like some of the colors.

WorldLux in downtown Seattle is a very nice pen store with a good selection of major pen brands, especially the European ones. I wish they carried more Japanese pens, though.

peterpen53
June 14th, 2012, 04:01 AM
I have a very good pen store a 25-minute drive from my home and the well-known Akkerman store is only an hour, including the walk into town. Both are Montblanc AD's and Visconti Gold Point members and carry most of the brands I am interested in, although Omas and Stipula are very hard to find. Both also offer a wide range of inks although, if I'm not mistaken, neither carries Diamine or Iroshizuku.
Prices are mostly MSRP, which is understandable given the excellent service and very pleasant surroundings both provide.

And just to be clear: no affiliations.

JustDaveyB
June 14th, 2012, 04:23 AM
I have two high-end pen shops and a Montblanc boutique all within 5 minutes walk of my office. Do I shop there yes but only for inks (about the only ink brand not carried between them is Diamine) and Rhodia stationery. Their pen prices are hideous, try AU$900 for a Pelikan M800.

My dream job would be to work behind the counter at one of those high-end pen shops.

manoeuver
June 14th, 2012, 05:13 AM
DaveyB, why don't you get a part-time job at the pen store? If I owned a pen shop I'd be thrilled to have a pen geek looking for work- there just aren't that many out there.

We used to have a wonderful shop (Bertram's Inkwell) in downtown Baltimore, that location closed. Pity. Now I've been to Pen Boutique in Columbia once but it's a bit of a hike from where I live. I stay out of DC as much as possible, so no good proximate fp stores for me.

I visit Columbus OH often, and there is a vintage FP shop on High Street there. The guy who owns it is quite knowledgeable and has been helpful to me often, but he's usually fairly grumpy due to lack of customers. Recently he's diversified by adding vinyl records and typewriters to his stock. :confused:

I fantasize about buying that business from him and renaming it the Anachronism Store or some such. He's nearing retirement age and I'm mulling a move to Columbus, I'll have to see if the price is right.

writingrav
June 14th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Wow! If you buy it we all may come

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

snedwos
June 14th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Once I've handed in my master's project I am going to go into Madrid and visit the Spanish Fountain Pen Club, where they sell a large selection of the less common/boring inks (Diamine, R&K, de Atramentis...) and also a large selection of restored vintage pens, none of which I can afford. They're aso the only official distributors for Romillo Pens, who make really beautiful, simple hand-made ebonite pens. The cheapest one is €500 though...

fountainpenkid
June 14th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Fountain Pen Hospital is an hour away.....Its a great place! But it is had to just make a pitstop there on the way to philly..:)

KrazyIvan
June 14th, 2012, 08:05 AM
There used to be two (well three but the third is just a branch of one) Now there is one pen store, I think. The last time I drove by the shop looked like it was closed for good. :( So, all I have access to is two branches of Airline International. I have been there a couple of times to look but have not purchased anything. I was thinking of making a stop soon to see what used pens he may have. They had new MB, Omas, Lamy, Visconti and others. They carry Private Reserve, Lamy and Noodler's ink. They had cartridges too. It is a luggage shop mainly so some very nice leather bags can be had there too. They will be pretty close to retail as far as prices go.

manoeuver
June 14th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Wow! If you buy it we all may come

I hope so!

I'd have to A.) find a way to make it a profitable business, or B.)Develop a separate business profitable enough to support the stupid store.

While both are entirely possible, option B is more likely.

melissa59
June 14th, 2012, 12:33 PM
I've been told the closest pen shop is Fountain Pen Shop, owned by a gentleman named Fred Krinke. All reviews and comments I've read (save one) say this is an excellent shop for both pen repairs and ink purchases. I've never been there. It's more than an hour's drive from my house. Maybe one day. So far, the only fountain pens I've ever seen in person are those I own.

manoeuver, if you are serious about the purchase, I'd do a bit of a search for other brick and mortar pen stores that are thriving (outside Columbus) and talk to the owners. Find out what works, what doesn't. My guess is that the ability to do repairs will be a big plus. Also, I'd chuck the typewriters and add CDs, new and used. Being a university city, there should be lots of interest in buying and selling new and used CDs.

manoeuver
June 14th, 2012, 12:49 PM
manoeuver, if you are serious about the purchase, I'd do a bit of a search for other brick and mortar pen stores that are thriving (outside Columbus) and talk to the owners. Find out what works, what doesn't. My guess is that the ability to do repairs will be a big plus. Also, I'd chuck the typewriters and add CDs, new and used. Being a university city, there should be lots of interest in buying and selling new and used CDs.That's solid advice, Melissa.

I disagree on the CDs thing- I think the vinyl business will have a longer life than cds, which don't fare well vs. mp3s and streaming services. Not that I want to sell records either; I don't.

Making that business work would entail finding something I could offer to the FP community at large (repair, nibwork, a heretofore-unexploited source of quality pens) that isn't already readily available. If there was a local nibmeister I could funnel work to and simultaneously learn from, that would be something.

I suspect that nationwide there is enough demand for typewriter repair to support perhaps one or two efficiently-run businesses. I do not believe any business of mine would be one of those.

Overall it seems to me that shop would make a pretty good hobby business or a fantastic tax shelter. I'm half serious about looking into it but I'll need considerable income from elsewhere to really consider it.

gordyt
June 14th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Here in Austin all you have is Paradise Pen ... I travel to Houston and go to Dromgoole's GREAT store.
I fondled some of the best there very impressed now it is my go to store when I travel there.

+1 for Dromgoole's. I am very fortunate in that they are located right on my daily commute route!

writingrav
June 14th, 2012, 03:12 PM
It is great to hear about all this wonderful shops across the nation and the world. Perhaps Dan and Eric (when they have nothing better to do :) ) could put a list like they do of pen shows on the site?

maiboo
June 14th, 2012, 04:39 PM
I love Dromgoole's. I try to go there once a month just to stare at the pens. Larry, the owner, is always encouraging me to dip and try the pens out. Everytime I go there, there's usually a new pen he just got in that he shows me. He's also very competitive with his prices. I just got a Pilot Custom 74 that I've been looking for. All the online stores are selling it for $160 but he sold it to me for $150. So for a B&M store that's pretty good!

I haven't been to the Paradise Pen here in Houston yet, maybe someday...

melissa59
June 14th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I disagree on the CDs thing- I think the vinyl business will have a longer life than cds, which don't fare well vs. mp3s and streaming services. Not that I want to sell records either; I don't.
I didn't mean to get rid of the vinyl, just add CDs. :-)
Of course, I can understand you not wanting to go into the music business when your interest in pens.
The idea came to me while thinking about the original owners vinyl/typewriter addition. I regularly go with my son to a nearby city with a used music store (the only one in our area). It is in a shopping center near a state university and a bunch of apartments. There's always several people in there. The best part (for my son) is that people often trade in CDs that cannot be purchased in the U.S. or those that are out of print. He's a bit eclectic for a 24-year-old. While other kids are downloading mp3s (which he does when he has no other choice), he prefers having a hard copy, and has acquired quite a music collection.

Overall it seems to me that shop would make a pretty good hobby business or a fantastic tax shelter. I'm half serious about looking into it but I'll need considerable income from elsewhere to really consider it.
A tax shelter ... oh what it must be like to have such a need! :-)
At 53 (come Saturday), I seem to be quite a bit older than many in the FP community. If I was financially set and if I had money to burn (two big IFs), then I think it would be fun and healthy (mentally and physically) to work doing something I love. But if you have to add in stuff that you don't want to do (ie: sell records, soap, sewing needles, used cars), then it is no longer fun and can be potentially stressful and unhealthy.

Maybe in the coming year you can treat yourself to a road-trip vacation, traveling to various pen shops, talking to owners, taking notes (with a fountain pen), maybe even snap a few photos. Even if you decide against a store, it might a fun way for a fountain pen geek to spend a week.

writingrav
June 14th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Wow. How about an organized bus tour of major fountain pen sites, including Camp Edison.

ianmedium
June 14th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I didn't mean to get rid of the vinyl, just add CDs. :-)
Of course, I can understand you not wanting to go into the music business when your interest in pens.
The idea came to me while thinking about the original owners vinyl/typewriter addition. I regularly go with my son to a nearby city with a used music store (the only one in our area). It is in a shopping center near a state university and a bunch of apartments. There's always several people in there. The best part (for my son) is that people often trade in CDs that cannot be purchased in the U.S. or those that are out of print. He's a bit eclectic for a 24-year-old. While other kids are downloading mp3s (which he does when he has no other choice), he prefers having a hard copy, and has acquired quite a music collection.

A tax shelter ... oh what it must be like to have such a need! :-)
At 53 (come Saturday), I seem to be quite a bit older than many in the FP community. If I was financially set and if I had money to burn (two big IFs), then I think it would be fun and healthy (mentally and physically) to work doing something I love. But if you have to add in stuff that you don't want to do (ie: sell records, soap, sewing needles, used cars), then it is no longer fun and can be potentially stressful and unhealthy.

Maybe in the coming year you can treat yourself to a road-trip vacation, traveling to various pen shops, talking to owners, taking notes (with a fountain pen), maybe even snap a few photos. Even if you decide against a store, it might a fun way for a fountain pen geek to spend a week.

Don't worry Melissa, I am not far behind you in age!

snedwos
June 14th, 2012, 08:56 PM
At 53 (come Saturday), I seem to be quite a bit older than many in the FP community.

You would think the fountain pen community would be a collection of old farts, but clearly not, if a 53 year old considers herself an oldie... It's a ray of hope, we're not dying out just yet :)

snedwos
June 14th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Wow. How about an organized bus tour of major fountain pen sites, including Camp Edison.

This forum needs a Like button. Then again, it wouldn't be enough for how much I love this idea. Now, do I spend the money for flights on getting to the US from Spain, or do I just buy more pens? I guess I'd have to get the money first.

KrazyIvan
June 14th, 2012, 09:07 PM
That would be one cool bus tour!

Chi Town
June 15th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Yes, in Albuquerque, New Mexico we have a store called the Pen n Pad, just a few minutes from my house. It also happens to be where we host our New Mexico Pen Collector's Club meetings. The new owner is a very nice person, Kathy!

melissa59
June 15th, 2012, 09:46 AM
You would think the fountain pen community would be a collection of old farts, but clearly not, if a 53 year old considers herself an oldie... It's a ray of hope, we're not dying out just yet :)

I saw a survey, I *think* on FPN that was a couple years old. I searched but can't find it again.
Anyway, the majority of the fountain pen users in that survey were somewhere in the 20-40 age range. Maybe there's a resurgence of fountain pen users ... or maybe some of the older users don't like to hang out on social sites. I'll try again. If I find the poll, I'll come back and leave a link.

writingrav
June 15th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I saw a survey, I *think* on FPN that was a couple years old. I searched but can't find it again.
Anyway, the majority of the fountain pen users in that survey were somewhere in the 20-40 age range. Maybe there's a resurgence of fountain pen users ... or maybe some of the older users don't like to hang out on social sites. I'll try again. If I find the poll, I'll come back and leave a link.

I'm happy to hang out on social sites with all you young folks. Actually, the best part is not knowing anyone's age and using that as a false criteria of judgement. At 63 years old I'm likely one of the oldest farts!

manoeuver
June 15th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I go to pen shows to feel like a youngster. I believe the technological nature of web fora skews the apparent usership of fountain pens.

umamom
June 15th, 2012, 12:17 PM
In San Francisco: Flax Art Supplies on Market Street: very good selection of fountain pens (and other pens) in a range of price. The pen department manager Stephanie Boyt is helpful, knowledgeable, and happy to educate new fountain pen users. Lots of papers and pads, plus parking in the back lot makes this my favorite place in the city.

KrazyIvan
June 15th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I'm happy to hang out on social sites with all you young folks. Actually, the best part is not knowing anyone's age and using that as a false criteria of judgement. At 63 years old I'm likely one of the oldest farts!

I don't even think of anyone's age on these sites. Gender, maybe a little but I usually get it wrong. Up until Maja's front page post, I thought she was a guy.:blink::redface: No offense Maja.

fountainpenkid
June 15th, 2012, 05:16 PM
i did that with sbroigla and sanpei on FPN too...i thought they were girls for some reason...

Lt. Tom
June 18th, 2012, 09:11 AM
I'm told there is an office supply store that has a seperate pen shop down in Atlanta (about 2 hours away). I haven't managed to get down there to see it yet. I think a local one would be both a blessing and a curse. As the OP said, it sure would be nice to be able to rule out certain pens just by picking them up and examining them. On the other hand, how many more would go on the Want List that don't look as appealing on my laptop screen? All in all, I wish I had a local store. I'm willing to take the risk...........

mhguda
June 19th, 2012, 08:40 AM
In Curaçao, a small island (maybe 150,000 inhabitants) in the Caribbean there is a Montblanc boutique, a higher end luxury shop that offers Waterman, Dupont, and a few other fountain pens beside beautiful leather bags, and other luxury items. They have a Caran d'Ache that it's good is not on display, it keeps returning to my mind. The owner is a very nice person, she even let me dip the Caran d'Ache to see how I liked it, and has given me two abandoned FPs that turned out to be very nice writers. There is also a bookstore that has a Parker dealership, so you can find current models, and also ink. Getting ink is a problem here, not much interest, I've yet to see anything beyond either MB (cartridges), Quink, and Waterman, unless it be the cheap no-name standard international cartridges. Except for Quink and Waterman, no bottled ink.
There are also one or two office supply shop that do not offer much variety but may have some surprising finds every now and then.
Last weekend I was in Aruba on a family visit and my sister took me to a new (for me) office supply store called Write Here that stocks Online Pens. Quite a large selection actually. I may go back there next month. Usually I just go to my favorite bookstore there, I've found some really nice FPs there as well. Picked up a few small Labans (about 10 cm) for $15. Very nice writers, too.

tytoalba
June 19th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Locally we have a very pleasant, knowledgeable salesperson who readily offers test-drives at Paradise Pen.
Nice stock of inks at competitive prices.
Wow, I'd be making the hour drive to Krinke's pen shop in a hot minute. Lots of pen history there!

someone who could repair pens, typewriters, and kept a supply of clickity keyboards and quirky student office supply must-haves would be a winner imho. I'd also add vinyl/cd's with basic transfer machines : D

edit to add, I'd also add basic mini travel art supplies. Lamy Safari with variety of spare nibs, and colorful inks too. cover the basics of creativity..

writingrav
June 19th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Locally we have a very pleasant, knowledgeable salesperson who readily offers test-drives at Paradise Pen.
Nice stock of inks at competitive prices.
Wow, I'd be making the hour drive to Krinke's pen shop in a hot minute. Lots of pen history there!

someone who could repair pens, typewriters, and kept a supply of clickity keyboards and quirky student office supply must-haves would be a winner imho. I'd also add vinyl/cd's with basic transfer machines : D

edit to add, I'd also add basic mini travel art supplies. Lamy Safari with variety of spare nibs, and colorful inks too. cover the basics of creativity..

That's good to hear. I went to Paradise Pens near here for the first time last week and did not find the sales clerk even approachable.

rbadger332
June 19th, 2012, 11:52 AM
I've got a Paradise Pens in Stony Point Fashion Park in Richmond, VA. About an hour away. So far, they've been helpful and friendly. I've bought a Passaporto and a Homo Sapiens there, and some ink carts for my VP.

jfsisler
June 20th, 2012, 10:20 AM
I've got a Paradise Pens in Stony Point Fashion Park in Richmond, VA. About an hour away.

So where are you if Richmond is an hour away? I'm from the southside, Chesterfield County...moved to MA 12 years ago. Now I'm trying to figure out how to talk Mom into taking me there next time I'm home;)

melissa59
June 21st, 2012, 12:14 AM
Someone must have been peeking in on this discussion. There is now an age poll on the FPGeeks main site.
It's anonymous, so we can tell the truth. :-)

melissa59
June 21st, 2012, 12:20 AM

It would be a fun field trip if I had a local fountain pen friend to go with me. The idea of going alone, especially since I don't know much about fountain pens, doesn't thrill me. Maybe I could set up a SoCal lunch/store gathering and get to know a few other members in person. I'll have to think on that a bit.

Brad94
June 27th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I haven't found one yet except two arts and crafts type stores that carry a couple dip pens calligraphy pens and ink for both. :(

snedwos
August 2nd, 2012, 02:04 PM
Not so much local (I have to go into Madrid), but there are a couple of shops I have now been to, and the big department store chain (EL Corte Inglés) has a decnet selection (if a little dear). There are a few more places in Madrid, which I will be going to (following the list provided by Bruno Taut at Crónicas Estilográficas). The Spanish FP club is magnificently wonderful.

Maja
August 2nd, 2012, 06:24 PM
We are very fortunate here in Vancouver. Firstly there is the Excellent Perks on Cambie and 41st. Richard the owner is a wonderful chap!
He stocks Mont Blanc, I think some Omas, Diplomat, Graff von Faber Castel, Waterman,Lamy, Conklin and I think I seem to remember seeing Delta in the mix as well. Cross, Sheaffer and I am sure there are a few more!
He also stocks Rhodia paper as well as most of the ink brands you can think of. I am spending extra time with Richard not only because he is a great fellow but he also allows the Vancouver Pen Club to meet once a month at his store and in his private time after the store is closed!

We also have Charrals and Vancouver pen store. Between them the also stock Mont Blanc and also parker, Pelikan, Cartier, Graff Von Faber Castell, and again plenty more that I can't remember. These are big stores as well and always keep a really large stock of the various brands and all of them are very knowledgable and true pen enthusiasts.
Oh, and one called La Swiss. They sell some Danitrio as well as Parker, Waterman and Dunhill. They are part of a chain of watch stores.
You missed a few, Ian. There are two more Perks pen stores---one in the Bentall Center Mall (downtown Vancouver) and the other across the water in North Van (Lonsdale Quay)---and a pen store called Nikaido in Richmond (suburb of Van.)
Paper-Ya on Granville Island (near downtown) is another store that sells pens...so.....yes, Vancouver has a lot of pen stores!
:rockon:

Maja
August 2nd, 2012, 06:26 PM
I don't even think of anyone's age on these sites. Gender, maybe a little but I usually get it wrong. Up until Maja's front page post, I thought she was a guy.:blink::redface: No offense Maja.

:tsk:

Just kidding. I just saw this old post now, LOL....and no offense taken, Ivan! ;)

peterpen53
August 3rd, 2012, 02:47 AM
You missed a few, Ian. There are two more Perks pen stores---one in the Bentall Center Mall (downtown Vancouver) and the other across the water in North Van (Lonsdale Quay)---and a pen store called Nikaido in Richmond (suburb of Van.)
Paper-Ya on Granville Island (near downtown) is another store that sells pens...so.....yes, Vancouver has a lot of pen stores!

Seems like a good place to live. Pity I did not know the only time I visited Vancouver some seven years ago. And it seems you have a bit of a Dutch climate... lots of rain?! Might feel at home there.:)
Slightly off topic, just to satisfy my curiosity, I've noticed there is a comparatively large number of Canadian members (or Canadian residents, not to forget Ian) on fountain pen forums, especially FPN. Apparently fountain pens are popular in Canada??

Cheers,
Peter

Tracy Lee
August 3rd, 2012, 07:54 AM
No pen store here in central Florida if you can believe that. A few places have a few pens, but really Levenger down in the West Palm area (2+ hours from here) is my closest source. Thus I build my relationships withe the online accessible stores, stopping in when I can on travel.

writingrav
August 3rd, 2012, 11:10 AM
Seems like a good place to live. Pity I did not know the only time I visited Vancouver some seven years ago. And it seems you have a bit of a Dutch climate... lots of rain?! Might feel at home there.:)
Slightly off topic, just to satisfy my curiosity, I've noticed there is a comparatively large number of Canadian members (or Canadian residents, not to forget Ian) on fountain pen forums, especially FPN. Apparently fountain pens are popular in Canada??

Cheers,
Peter

Agreed. When I lived in Seattle I was in Vancouver often. Wasn't into fountain pens. For that matter, I wonder how Seattle is in that regard. I know that the University of Washington Bookstore has a small selection of Pilots and I think Lamys as well as a selection of inks: J.Herbin, others. But I don't know of anywhere else.

Maja
August 3rd, 2012, 05:15 PM
Agreed. When I lived in Seattle I was in Vancouver often. Wasn't into fountain pens. For that matter, I wonder how Seattle is in that regard. I know that the University of Washington Bookstore has a small selection of Pilots and I think Lamys as well as a selection of inks: J.Herbin, others. But I don't know of anywhere else.

There are two nice pen shops in downtown Seattle that I know of---World Lux and Silberman Brown. Been a while since I've been to Seattle, though. We hope to go there for the King Tut exhibit this Fall....

As for Vancouver, I really don't know why we have so many pen stores, but I love seeing the selection of new pens for sale (although our retail prices are pretty high compared to our U.S cousins' ).

Pinkys.Brain
August 7th, 2012, 01:56 AM
Hm, I just found a video of the shop here in Kobe where I go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFF1GqUrZ5E&list=UUIwTAap6im3w-sqnAB32D6Q&index=3&feature=plcp

fountainpenkid
August 7th, 2012, 07:24 AM
cool! i wish new york wasn't a 2 hour drive......

Will

Petergly
August 7th, 2012, 06:50 PM
We've got a few here in Melbourne, but I always find myself going into Pen City on Elizabeth St. They have everything I need pens- and stationery-wise, along with everything I THINK I need... :-)

I'm loving hearing about shops elsewhere around the world. I found out about a couple in Chennai while on FPN, at about the time I went to India on a short work trip a couple of years ago, and was able to grab a couple of hours to go and visit them. Came home with some local FP's - very interesting items!

youstruckgold
August 7th, 2012, 10:10 PM
In Melbourne we have quite a few, but I would agree that Pen City is the best of them, and then the new shop on the corner of Collins/Williams St. Rafts used to be good but lost its mojo when it's last owner left.

Petergly
August 7th, 2012, 10:33 PM
In Melbourne we have quite a few, but I would agree that Pen City is the best of them, and then the new shop on the corner of Collins/Williams St. Rafts used to be good but lost its mojo when it's last owner left.

I've been past that one, but haven't been in. Yet. :-)

Regards,

@penfancy
August 8th, 2012, 09:55 AM
I'll +1 for Dromgool's in Houston. Everyone is very pleasant to talk with. There are usually other patrons hanging out talking pens and knives. If only they served beer!

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

drgoretex
August 17th, 2012, 12:38 PM

I keep 'accidentally' wandering into Nikaido when we go out to visit family - parent's home is only a few blocks from Nikaido, so I expect I will be there again next week...if my wife doesn't see me...

Winnipeg is utterly hopeless in the Pen Shop department. Closest we get is 'Staples'...sigh....

Ken

LHGordon
August 17th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Here in Warwick, New York we have an actual family-owned office supply store called The Inkwell, and they carry a variety of fountain pens, as well as a nice selection of inks, such as Waterman, Mont Blanc, Schaefer, etc. Additionally, they have a good supply of Rhodia and Bellefontaine pads and books, as well as other fountain pen friendly goodies. It's not Art Brown's, or the Fountain Pen Hospital, both of which are a bit over an hour away down in NYC, but it's a good sight better than anything you'll find in Staple/OfficeMax, etc. All on an actual Main Street with pedestrian traffic and all, just twenty minutes from home.

Luke

jd50ae
August 18th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Yea, the Post Office.

PeppWaves03
September 1st, 2012, 09:32 PM
Ink Mixer are you in st louis? Just wondering because I am.

JustDaveyB
September 3rd, 2012, 01:17 PM
It is great to hear about all this wonderful shops across the nation and the world. Perhaps Dan and Eric (when they have nothing better to do :) ) could put a list like they do of pen shows on the site?

The best list I have seen resides at Glenn Marcus's site http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/stores1.html

carlos.q
May 4th, 2013, 09:22 PM

The best list I have seen resides at Glenn Marcus's site http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/stores1.html
+1 on Glenn's site. I would propose that all FPG members send him a list of their local pen shops so that he can keep this important resource updated.

john
May 5th, 2013, 08:47 AM
In Hong Kong, there are few pen shops, many stationary stores never carry fountain pens nowaday. If I want to buy the pens, I have to place order from online pen shops or through ebay. Even the ink, not so many brands that I can choose, mainly are Parker Quink, Pelikan, Lamy, Sailor, Mont Blanc and Hero.

jar
May 5th, 2013, 09:36 AM
There's a really nice local pen store, unfortunately it is 350-400 miles away from me.

There are a few local jewelery stores that sometimes have pens, but very few.

seffrican
May 5th, 2013, 10:09 AM
This is my favourite papeterie, Brachard (http://www.brachard.com/) right in the centre of Geneva.

Four floors of pen, pencil, and paper heaven.

matveik
May 5th, 2013, 10:49 AM
I've come to terms with not having a local pen store, but I really do wish that I had a decent paper store. I'm moving to Chicago soon though, so there might be hope yet.

Sailor Kenshin
May 5th, 2013, 11:17 AM

You're making me CRY.

Same as the OP, we used to have many small stationery and art supply shops locally, where you could find surprises.

No longer.

The last good pen and office supply place stopped selling pens a couple of years ago, and they were friendly, and had a little bit of everything.

I guess I will go cry now.

AndrewW
May 5th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Living right next to Boston has its advantages: Bromfield Pen Shop is literally 20 minutes away by bike or by T.
Sure, the clerks can be a bit surly, but that's just how Boston rolls.

AtomicLeo
May 5th, 2013, 03:18 PM
I'm about 40 minutes away from Santa Fe Pens. Very nice shop and the staff is excellent.

Pendragon
May 5th, 2013, 04:53 PM
My closest pen store is four blocks away, with a second pen store five blocks away. A third store that sells pens is at a local shopping center, about a 15 minute walk away. None of these is exclusively a pen store, but they all sell fountain pens and inks, with two of them also selling stationery and notebooks. A fourth store, a block from the first two, sells stationery, cards and notebooks, as well as small selection of fountain pens and inks. There is a Montblanc boutique about 10 miles away, and also a Maido and Kinokuniya store, both of which sell pens, ink, notebooks and paper.

carlos.q
May 6th, 2013, 05:20 AM
Old jewelry stores are great places to find fountain pens. The last one I visited had a hidden stash of Parker 45 and 180 pens.

writingrav
May 6th, 2013, 05:24 AM
My closest pen store is four blocks away, with a second pen store five blocks away. A third store that sells pens is at a local shopping center, about a 15 minute walk away. None of these is exclusively a pen store, but they all sell fountain pens and inks, with two of them also selling stationery and notebooks. A fourth store, a block from the first two, sells stationery, cards and notebooks, as well as small selection of fountain pens and inks. There is a Montblanc boutique about 10 miles away, and also a Maido and Kinokuniya store, both of which sell pens, ink, notebooks and paper.

That's a treasure trove of stores. CAn you share your location?

wayne.robinson
May 6th, 2013, 05:57 PM
There are a few in Sydney and Brisbane however, I can't get over the general cost of pens and ink in Australia.

I recently bought a bottle of Iroshizuku ink at Ultimate Pens in Sydney for AUD$50 (USD$51.21).

82-Greg
May 6th, 2013, 06:39 PM
I used to live 40 minutes from Bertram's Inkwell (separate story, but moving in the near future). It was very convenient and he still gets most of my business. I since moved to central Washington state. The nearest pen shops are in Seattle, which is 3 hours each way and at least $13 an hour to park. (Oh, and sales tax is 20% higher there.)

I'm moving back to Maryland (never thought I'd utter those words). The good news I will again be about 40 minutes from Bert's. The bad news is I'll be in Maryland.

gentlyom
May 6th, 2013, 08:50 PM
I have Paradise pen in harf an hour's drive, also a Montblanc boutique in the same Short Hill Mall. But soon, I plan to visit Fountain Pen Hospital and maybe also Art Brown. Although, I am only an hour from NYC, I have never visited any pen shop there. I need to get a knock out block at FPH, but very likely, I will end up buying something not planed for... So I have to make a good budget for the trip.

gweddig
May 6th, 2013, 09:09 PM
I'm about 40 minutes away from Santa Fe Pens. Very nice shop and the staff is excellent.

Ahh, my favorite place to splurge when I was working the Santa Fe Opera through the 90s.

JimK
May 7th, 2013, 10:25 AM
My nephew is graduating from college this week! What better graduation gift than a fountain pen!

Ah.... maybe ten years ago, we had a big family reunion over Thanksgiving at my sister's place, his Mom. I had been deputized to make up menus in my nice italic. It isn't really so very nice but still if I go slow I can fake it. I brought along my cheap Sheaffer calligraphy pens and had the two girls, his sister and his cousin, write up place cards.

So it's no secret in the family that I am a fountain pen nut!

My sweetheart reminded me that Catskill Art and Office Supply in Kingston has a nice case of pens. So I walked out of there this morning with a Parker Latitude, a package of cartridges, and a bottle of ink.

Congratulations, Adam!

Ah, I took advantage of our little trip into Kingston to stop at my storage unit and retrieve my silver Sailor 1911 - the pen I was given when I left my job at Synopsys. Nice pen, that one is!

thagbert
May 7th, 2013, 03:43 PM
There's a really nice local pen store, unfortunately it is 350-400 miles away from me.

And which one is that?

snedwos
May 7th, 2013, 04:40 PM
What's so terrible about Maryland? Or is this a stupid question?

liapuyat
May 13th, 2013, 03:28 AM
Here in Manila, the Philippines, we have a store called Scribe Writing Essentials. It's a pen and stationery store. They are the exclusive Philippine distributor of Pelikan, Sailor, TWSBI and J. Herbin products. Their three branches are all within 30 minutes' drive of each other, from where I live.

This is the Scribe store in Shangri-la Mall:

erpe
May 13th, 2013, 03:32 AM
Here in Manila, the Philippines, we have a store called Scribe Writing Essentials. It's a pen and stationery store. They are the exclusive Philippine distributor of Pelikan, Sailor, TWSBI and J. Herbin products. Their three branches are all within 30 minutes' drive of each other, from where I live.

This is the Scribe store in Shangri-la Mall:

Interesting, must drop-by there next time I'm in Manila, where are the other stores?

KrazyIvan
December 31st, 2013, 11:00 AM
I am happy to report that I just discovered another local pen shop that I thought had long shut down. Now I have more choices. Halper's Pens. (http://hpens.com/) They don't seem to have much of an online presence but I just called and they are open until 6 pm today. I am going to have to go today if I can get out of work early.

Sailor Kenshin
December 31st, 2013, 11:20 AM
I am happy to report that I just discovered another local pen shop that I thought had long shut down. Now I have more choices. Halper's Pens. (http://hpens.com/) They don't seem to have much of an online presence but I just called and they are open until 6 pm today. I am going to have to go today if I can get out of work early.

Good luck! We expect a full report. ;)

Llewellyn
December 31st, 2013, 03:13 PM
The only place I know of here that might be considered a dedicated pen retailer is T Sharp in the city. But as with most things in Australia, their prices are way over the top compared to overseas sellers.

And they once told me I should only use Visconti inks in my Visconti pens. That, and some questionable service means they're not the first place I'd go to for pens or ink.

KrazyIvan
December 31st, 2013, 05:13 PM

Good luck! We expect a full report. ;)

My Instagram has a few photos. I could not leave the store without getting something. I bought a Pelikan 1.0 nib unit for my M250 and put something on layaway. I also texted Mike Dudek some photos of a few Rotring pen stands that he promptly purchased.

Steve, the owner filled me in on a lot of local pen people too.

ac12
December 31st, 2013, 05:40 PM
The few that I know near me on the mid-San Francisco peninsula

San Mateo: Edwards Luggage (I think Monte Blanc at this branch also, and only MB ink)
- SM had a few small stationary stores in the past that are no more. Quite sad as I used to like browsing the stores.

Palo Alto: Village Stationers (my primary local source of inks), Edwards Luggage (Monte Blanc, Cross and similar higher end pens), there is another store in PA but I forget the name.
- It was sad when Condon and Chrome closed.

I think there are 1 or 2 across the peninsula in/around Hayward, and 1 in Berkley, but I have not checked them out.

thelonestranger
December 31st, 2013, 06:14 PM
I do now...

Anderson Pens just opened in Appleton, WI at City Center Mall (downtown).

Brian and Lisa's new shop is very nice, and I highly recommend it. :)

TMac
December 31st, 2013, 06:44 PM
The closest place for me is the Pen Boutique in Columbia, MD. Pretty good selection, fair prices and a nice staff.

brewsky
December 31st, 2013, 08:31 PM
Pen place located in downtown kansas city. A little pricey, but awesome all in all.

Hjorlejf
December 31st, 2013, 11:00 PM
Here in Cambridge, Ontario we have an awesome little place right across from city hall called Phidon Pens. The owners are incredibly friendly and helpful and they maintain a surprisingly active facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Phidon-Pens/176864932345218

ethernautrix
January 1st, 2014, 01:07 PM
This is my local (http://www.sklep-scryba.pl/).

It is a lovely place in a lovely city.

RudyR
January 1st, 2014, 01:12 PM
I have 7 stores where I live, that I can go to for decent pens.

When I live in Seattle Washington I have:

World Lux

Silberman Brown

University Books store by the University of Washington

Uwajimayas, an amazing store that sells asian/international groceries and products. In the bookstore area they have a section that sells pen, paper etc, and they care a number of Pilot, Platinum, Onoto (sp?), Tombow and other Japanese products. They have a direct line to Japanese wholesalers and recently began to carry Midori Travelers and Passport notebooks plus the accessories. The new shipment is due in February.

When I live in Santa Fe New Mexico I have:

Santa Fe Pens

Things Finer selling Visconti, Platinum and other brands I cant recall.

Pen and Pad which is in Albuquerque and is becoming a quick favorite for Rio Grande Valley pen punks :) .

I do live a wonderful life.

Artslut
January 1st, 2014, 01:20 PM
I hear you jd.i live a twelve hour drive from vancouver. I. Would have very few pens were it not for the post office, fed ex etc. such a shame not to have that tactile experience before you put your money down, and sometimes a small gamble too.

Frank
September 8th, 2014, 08:34 AM
I was shopping at King of Prussia Mall over weekend, and I saw that Paradise Pens was gone! I was just there in June getting a grad gift for my GF's son! Now, there are some renovations to the mall, so it is possible they will re-open...

If they do not- Other than the MB boutique at K.O.P. or Holt's Cigars in Center City, there are no retail pen shops in the city/suburbs!!

-Frank

GING GING
September 29th, 2014, 10:02 PM
We have have a few stores that sells fountain pens but not a dedicated pen store. That would be nice

velo
September 29th, 2014, 11:58 PM
I do have a local pen store but I don't go there.

A Lamy Safari is $49.

brewsky
October 1st, 2014, 08:58 AM
I have a local shop, I mainly go to window shop and purchase inks. All of the pens are overpriced there. Their rhodia is obscenely overpriced. I have purchased 3 lamy safaris as gifts, and all 3 have been damaged by the retailer ( they improperly switched out nibs damaging the wings on the section where the nibs attach). Needless to say, I don't spend much money there.