PDA

View Full Version : Section Pliers Not Gripping

RayCornett
July 9th, 2014, 08:17 PM
I just received an order for pen repair parts and got my first pair of section pliers. They fit the sections as expected but they don't grip.

So, to those of you who use them regularly, do you do anything to the pliers to help them grip?

Crazyorange
July 9th, 2014, 08:25 PM
I'm a newbie....so hopefully I can help. The pliers grip when the section can be removed. I find they don't "grip" when the sections is firm in the barrel. If the shellac is holding firm, you will need to continue to soften it. More soaking time or a bit of heat. Plus I use a square of rubber mat to grip the other side of the pen. You can also try squeezing the pliers a bit harder...but be cautious.

RayCornett
July 9th, 2014, 08:32 PM
I tried them on a section I had already removed and cleaned the barrel and section to make them free of any sealants. The section comes out when I use my fingers but the pliers just slip.

Jon Szanto
July 9th, 2014, 10:39 PM
I would suggest a piece of bicycle inner tube or other soft, thin rubber, or even easier, a piece rubber mat (often called "spider mat"). Works a treat.

Jeph
July 10th, 2014, 12:12 AM
I have them, but I am with Jon Szanto in that I usually just use a strip of rubber. I use the tail from an adjustable oil filter wrench that used a thick rubber strap to grip. You can squeeze spark plug wires all you want but you do not want to do that on a pen like Crazyorange mentioned. I scuffed up the pads on my pliers with some sandpaper and sometimes you need to use the opposite side to get a grip.

This is not your problem, since you said that the secontion comes out with your fingers, but for anyone else reading this thread later: when/if you do get a good grip, do not try to use your Herculean strength to force things apart. Catarophic failure can follow. If things do not move with firm pressure, stop and do something else first. That usually means careful heat.

Jon Szanto
July 10th, 2014, 01:33 AM
Nothing like a couple cracked or snapped barrels to put a person on the straight and narrow.

Farmboy
July 10th, 2014, 01:37 AM
I still use my hands to pull sections. But I'm unusual.

Wile E Coyote
July 10th, 2014, 06:22 AM
With or without section pliers - Dycem.

You can also try cleaning the plastic/rubber on the pliers with denatured alcohol.

Deb
July 10th, 2014, 08:31 AM
I'm with Farmboy - fingers are best. The judicious use of heat helps too.

Jon Szanto
July 10th, 2014, 09:56 AM
With three it's officially a club: I've never used section pliers, only my hands. Though for general gripping purposes, I still stand by the suggestions above, based on other plier uses.

Drummers have strong grips.

gweddig
July 10th, 2014, 02:50 PM
What are these "hands"? Can you get them at pen repair shops?

Jon Szanto
July 10th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Farmboy has farm hands.

Frank
July 10th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Farmboy has farm hands.

:clap2:

BTW, Hands here as well (along with a little heat of course!)

Chi Town
July 10th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Don't forget when using heat, that if your fingers can't take the heat that is on the pen, you have heated the pen too much! Some say to put the pen to your upper lip and if that is too hot, you have heated the pen too much and may cause damage OR you are on the road to causing damage to the pen with that heat!

RayCornett
July 10th, 2014, 06:58 PM
I generally use my fingers but there are times. with my Arthritis, where doing so can basically cripple my hand for hours which is why I got the pliers. I of course know not to grip too hard with the pliers.

Thanks for all the tips, guys :)

kidde
July 14th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Hey Ray! The issue is what the coating is made from. Even clean and grease free they are slick. If you will replace the pads with fuel line (clear or the old neoprene) grip improves greatly. I've also used wide rubber bands wrapped around the pen and/or section several turns as a "base " for the pliers and had improved traction.

Paul

RayCornett
July 18th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Don't forget when using heat, that if your fingers can't take the heat that is on the pen, you have heated the pen too much! Some say to put the pen to your upper lip and if that is too hot, you have heated the pen too much and may cause damage OR you are on the road to causing damage to the pen with that heat!

That is exactly what I do. The lip test :) I have yet to overheat anything. I am extremely careful about it.

Chi Town
July 20th, 2014, 08:05 PM

I'm with Farmboy here, but it is the occasional pen that requires me to use a little heat and the Strange pen that I need the pliers for!

ainterne
August 14th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Hi, I have used these before, they pretty much put a death hold on anything you use them for and being rubber don't break things easily the tension is put on rotating over squeezing. A little like the bike inner tube solution mentioned earlier.... Just a suggestion.