PDA

View Full Version : Sheaffer Valiant repair referral

bc.hiker
July 10th, 2014, 09:07 AM
I'm pretty sure I have a Sheaffer Valiant, white dot, vac fill, red striated, 14K Lifetime nib. The plunger moves freely but the vac is gone. Needs to be repaired. I know Ron Zorn does wonderful work on these pens but he is not accepting any more work until after a pen show sometime in August. He has a great backlog of pens to repair and is catching up. I tried another repair person, explained to him what I had, he told me to send him the pen, he'd fix it. Then yesterday got the pen back in the mail with a note saying 'sorry for the misunderstanding, I don't make this kind of repair.' So, back to the drawing table. The pen is similar to the Sheaffer Balance and Touchdown pens, but the ring is a little different. It's definitely not a Touchdown, Balance or a Triumph. Did quite a bit of research to determine which model it is and the closest info and photos I could find were that of the Valiant model. Just did a little more research and see that it very well could be a Sheaffer 1250, also see that both Triumphs and Valiants can be referred to as '1250'. The nib on the pen may be a Triumph 14K platinum/gold two-toned nib. The ring on this pen is not as wide as that of the Triumph, but it's very wide with two scores on both ends of the ring. If the forum permits it - and it might not - any referrals for a repair person would be welcomed. I'm not trying to violate any forum rules, but am new here and am not sure if repair referrals are prohibited. My apologies, if that is the case. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Jeph
July 10th, 2014, 09:13 AM
You could send it to Danny Fudge at The Write Pen (http://www.thewritepen.net/)

Jon Szanto
July 10th, 2014, 09:55 AM
+1 on Danny Fudge. Another great vac restoration person is Gerry Berg. PM me if you want contact info for him.

bc.hiker
July 10th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Tried Danny Fudge, he returned the pen to me and stated that he did not make repairs to this Sheaffer model.

Thanks so much for the leads though. Will send out a PM for Gerry Berg's contact info.

Appreciate the responses!!

Jon Szanto
July 10th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Got it, check your PM. :)

jouesdeveau
July 10th, 2014, 07:37 PM

This is a Valiant II (94W) with a price code of "1250".

GB

KBeezie
July 17th, 2014, 05:49 PM
A little late in the thread, but just in case peeps still shopping around.

There's also Sean (aka Write on Time restoration (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Write-on-Time-Vintage-Pens-Watches-Restoration-and-Service/208871225809681)) who could do it. He's restored all of my sheaffers, and currently does full restoration (new sac, new seals, cleaning, hand polishing of entire pen, nib/feed adjustment), priority shipping back, and 1 year warranty for $40.

Not a Valiant, but this was the latest Sheaffer he restored for me, a Carmine Striated Lady Balance which was a chew toy before he got his hands on it.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/carminebalance/posted.jpg

Austin_Malone
July 17th, 2014, 08:00 PM
I'd second Danny Fudge, or Grandmiapens.com they are the ones whose work I have seen in person and was satisfied with. Danny is a great guy and Grandmiapens.com's Steph does videos on youtube so you can see his work.

terim
July 18th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Sherrell Tyree of Ink-pen.com was where we sent our Vac-fils before we were able to do the repairs in house.