PDA

View Full Version : Binding suggestions...

kallenpj
July 11th, 2014, 07:02 AM
Thanks for your overwhelming support of Sustainable Earth by staples bagasse paper
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/7266-Copy-paper

I now am looking for suggestions to keep this (as well as the 28lb HP laserjet paper that I alternatively use) bound together...

An Arc/Circa system is out from the get-go. I know that it would be the likely choice, but I already know that it is not for me...

The 8.5x11 pages get folded in half (not cut) and printed with a lined or dot or ... pattern.

I have multiple uses (doesn't everyone?) so will have multiple styles of creating the booklets.

One option is to sew 10-15 pages or so a la the Apica CD-11 (which is one of my favorite grab and go styles). Doing it myself means that when the notebook is complete, I can unfold the notebook and store it in a binder with the use of a sheet protector.

The other option is much trickier... because I want pages to be removable. I had thought that something like a Midori style might work well with three bands down through each 10 page sub-booklet giving 30 pages or so in the compiled notebook.

Does anyone have experience with converting loose leaf 8.5x11 paper to notebooks? (Remember, I do not want glue top tablets or Arc/Circa). I'd love to take ideas...

Austin_Malone
July 11th, 2014, 07:43 AM
I do a saddle stitch bind on 10-15 pages do a youtube search for ''how to saddle stitch bind'' click on the video from SeaLemonDIY the pages are not removeable, but this is quick and easy, I use a hammer and a craft needle as my awl

jde
July 11th, 2014, 08:56 AM
There's lots of great tutorials on simple (and complex!) stitching out there. I like this site Booklyn.org (http://booklyn.org/booklyn-ed-manual/) for some basics.

Mostly I use a pamphlet stitch, either 5 or 3 hole depending on the size of the notebook. I stitch anywhere from 2 to 6 sheets per signature. I find it easier to keep the signatures small for a passport sized notebook. Easy to make up a batch of 'em, too. Keeping the signatures small (2 sheets = 8 pages) makes it easy to remove with a Midori-style.

For a larger notebook, I've a Chronodex planner with 17 pages. For that, printed on HP #32 I used staples at the fold. I just file it when I'm done with it. (I guess that's a saddle stitch!)

Look forward to seeing what you do.

Afterthought: the Staples paper is thin compared to the HP #28... so you can stitch more of the thinner paper in a signature. Pamphlet stitch may be a good start, and you can easily experiment with how many sheets works for your signatures.

earthdawn
July 11th, 2014, 08:21 PM
I never made mine so pages coupe torn out BUT I don't see why you could not cut the stitches and remove the pages as they would be in decent condition.

I simply stitch mine. It is fast and simple and I made one of my long winded videos... but it will show you how to do it with ease and with stuff you have around the house.

http://youtu.be/lhd_2zu2D04

Dreck
July 11th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Why not invest in something capable of perforating the sheets? After perforating them, you will need to apply considerable pressure to help the folded sheets lie flat, but this method will allow you to sew or saddle stitch your booklet and remove pages while maintaining the book's structural integrity.

earthdawn
July 11th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Why not invest in something capable of perforating the sheets? After perforating them, you will need to apply considerable pressure to help the folded sheets lie flat, but this method will allow you to sew or saddle stitch your booklet and remove pages while maintaining the book's structural integrity.

So you just made me search for "perforating blades" ... and i saw a picture of my CARL trimmer that I have had for years. I NEVER KNEW THAT SUCH A BLADE EXISTED !!!

Thank you !!!!!

Im going to order the blade just so I can make a notebook with tear away pages. I never have had a need to tear away pages but as cheap as the blades are I just have to have it and try it out.

http://www.amazon.com/15051-perforating-personal-professional-trimmers/dp/B0015ZXDVW/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405133379&sr=8-2&keywords=bidex+rotary+trimmer+blades

Dreck
July 11th, 2014, 09:17 PM
My pleasure. One of the advantages of having worked in a small print shop & being a member of the HPLHS.

sdcurnow
July 11th, 2014, 10:55 PM
We do custom work. The first suggestion to bind loose leaf pages after they have been used in a Circa binder, etc, would be "Japanese Stab Binding."

Steve C
Curnow Bookbinding & Leatherwork
sdcurnow@gmail.com

jde
July 12th, 2014, 06:12 AM
My pleasure. One of the advantages of having worked in a small print shop & being a member of the HPLHS.

You may have just changed my life with this suggestion... :hippie:

am gonna order me some blades for my trimmer.

Dreck
July 12th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Just be careful not to overdo it with your perforations. In this, too little is better than too much. After all, you don't want your book coming apart all on its own after putting so much work into it.

Perforating the sheets will make them "thicker" along the perforation, hence my admonition to have something appropriately weighty to help decrease some of the extra surface area & help them lie flat.
Have fun! I look forward to seeing the results of your labor

7188photo
July 13th, 2014, 09:54 AM
I'd second the Japanese stab binding that Steve C suggested :) Otherwise the perforating blades are an easy solution.

kallenpj
July 19th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Japanese stab binding looks really cool. But it does not look like it will lay very flat.
Regular stitching is good too, and I will implement some of this.
I also plan on some folded pages with a midori rubber band around them. I will take pictures of the final product when I get the bands

Dreck
July 19th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Looking forward to hearing about & seeing the finished product.

kallenpj
July 22nd, 2014, 09:33 AM

I got this Leather cover. It is fine for now... it meets the need requirements... So here is what I am doing now:
Into the front pocket I have my front notebook, and tucked inside the flap are some torn out pages from a Rhodia No14 notebook and possibly in the future Rhodia No16 (if I want dot).
I currently do not have stitched pages at all. I found that using the Midori travellers rubber bands work well enough so as to obviate the stitching altogether if I don't want to do it. Since my long term storage system involves 3 ring binders, I suspect that I will play around with this yet, but not at the moment...
This allows a single page to be removed from the band to be used as "loose leaf" which I do quite often.
What I have found to work just as well (if not better) is a pair of bobby pins that I conveniently lifted from the hair drawer (I am sure that wife and kids won't miss them :)
The cover is wide enough so that if I decide that this isn't working and I want to return to my trusty Apica CD11 notebooks, I can do that without changing the cover in any way (I believe these are a semi B5 at 148x210mm)

The back flap holds another journal and tucked into the flap are the oft used exacompta 3x5 index cards (or less friendly cards in a pinch).

I suspect that when the dust all settles my lineup will be:
Front: Rhodia no 14 loose pages, custom printed 8.5x11 Sustainable earth by staples and HP premium laser paper (intermixed).
Back: 3x5 cards and Apica Stitched CD11 but cut so that it is 8.5x11 when opened up, thus allowing it to be stored with the rest of my long term stuff.

kallenpj
July 22nd, 2014, 09:35 AM
by the way, How do I change the image file size to something smaller???

earthdawn
July 22nd, 2014, 02:54 PM
by the way, How do I change the image file size to something smaller???

Easiest way is to resize it before uploading it.

If your using Photobucket or Flickr you can edit the size from there after you upload it.

Dreck
July 22nd, 2014, 03:41 PM
Nicely done, kallenpj

earthdawn
July 27th, 2014, 12:31 AM

OK so I got my wheel for my Carl Rotary Trimmer !!!

Heres a link to my Instagram video of it in action. What a cool cool cool & simple solution.

Thank you again Dreck :clap2:

http://instagram.com/p/q8bzjoLmCx/