PDA

View Full Version : French Stypen PIF - Murfie's next giveaway

Murfie
July 12th, 2014, 12:34 AM
THIS PIF IS NOW CONCLUDED

My last PIF attracted 30 entrants which was very pleasing and has contributed to my intention to offer more. So this week the PIF is something rather unusual. I don't know very much about this pen other than I purchased it some six or seven years ago as part of a bulk purchase of discontinued French Stypen fountain pens of a variety of models.

As the photos show, it is quite unusual in design having a polished stone patten of predominant grey, with gold coloured plated hardware and contrasting black ends to the cap and barrel. The cap is a press fit of good quality. The nib is plated steel, not imprinted with the gauge but I would call it a fine. Filling is via a short international cartridge, but I have fitted a small mini-converter if you don't want to use carts. Some Diamine cartridges will be included with the pen.

This is not a large pen and unless your hands are really small, it would need to be posted. The dimensions are 120.3mm (total length when capped); 105.1mm (uncapped); and 140.5mm (posted). The clip has a very unusual and attractive shape. This is a pen that would be ideal as a carry in a purse or bag along with your daily journal. I find it rather an attractive pen, but of course that is purely subjective.

This PIF will conclude at noon GMT on Friday July 18th. The winner will be selected using Random.org and notified via PM. Included in this PIF is free airmail to any location in the world (that's for the pen, not yourself, unfortunately). Unlike earlier PIF's there is a qualification for entry to this one. You must have been thanked MORE THAN TWICE by other members of FPG. If you meet this prerequisite then you apply simply by a post to this thread, stating your wish to enter and indicating which pen you would like to acquire next, finances permitting, and why you think you would like that particular pen or nib. If you are not intending to buy any more pens, then just say so and the reason why not. In this manner other members get to know a little bit about you and what you like personally.

Best of luck. It might just be your turn to win ...

tarheel1
July 12th, 2014, 12:51 AM
Im game. My next pen will probably be a twsbi 580 in 1.1. Funds are tight right now or i would get a vintage sheaffer pfm or oversized balance.

Unfortunatly being #1 chances are slim that i win.

Murfie
July 12th, 2014, 12:55 AM
Unfortunately being #1 chances are slim that I win.
In a random number draw, every entry/number has an even chance. Good luck, it might well be your turn!

Aleks
July 12th, 2014, 02:32 AM
i think i qualify :) yay!!! and i intend to purchase a Platinum pen because im missing a nib with a heart breather hole in my collection :p

Polyhistor
July 12th, 2014, 03:02 AM
Thanks for this great PIF! I'm in! I'd like to win this pen because I've had a (rather cheap) Stypen in the past and loved it. Unfortunately it went belly-up when I tried a rather cruel nib customization (my first and, so far, my only one). Additionally, this pen looks gorgeous!

I don't know what my next pen will be, probably something in the el-cheapo NOS German vintage range that eBay throws my way. Might also be one of those beautyful German NOS piston fillers that Lexaf is frequently selling on the board ...

faithdonna
July 12th, 2014, 09:37 AM
You rock, Murfie! :fans:

I'm in to win! Haha. :D I do not know specifics yet because I haven't researched enough, but finances permitting I would love to get a vintage flex fountain pen next. I just bought a Noodler's Konrad and I am pretty happy learning and practicing pointed pen calligraphy with it (though it doesn't make as fine a fine line that my Esterbrook 358 dip pen nib does), but I keep seeing people online saying vintage flex is best. I am dying of curiosity! I want to get to try it for myself.

Thank you!

littletim
July 12th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Not a entry, but that is a very pretty pen. It reminds me of slate. Very generous of you.
Continuing with your theme, I just bought a Pelikan M205. I am saving up for one of Richard Binder's full flex nib in EF/XXF.
The question is the nib only or the full monty with a M400?

cwent2
July 12th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Count me in and thanks for the opportunity.

I am looking forward to a TWSBI 580 AL in blue - which is not yet available - hoping they include blue.

Pennanngalan
July 12th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Surprisingly, I qualify :)

I'll take a shot at this pen, it is very nice looking. My next pen will probably be an ebonite Konrad from the Noodler's line. I really like the looks of these pens, especially the Methuselah's Pine Cone Dixie #10. I will get a fine nib for this, my writing requires a thin line for legibility. Thank you for the opportunity!

RayCornett
July 12th, 2014, 03:40 PM
It took me a while to find out how many thanks I had. It seems I quality. I would like to enter. This would indeed go nicely with my journal or take around planner. If I were to go buy a pen should I have the cash it would probably be a vintage Sheaffer PFM. The snorkel system is my favorite and I love the bigger size of the PFM.

Murfie
July 12th, 2014, 04:59 PM
I just bought a Pelikan M205. I am saving up for one of Richard Binder's full flex nib in EF/XXF. The question is the nib only or the full monty with a M400?
Well, you have a choice because the nibs are interchangeable. I had one those Binder full flex nibs and it was a bit scratchy at the outset but after some extra work on the micromesh, I got it to meet my personal smoothness preference. I tend to use a tad too much pressure when writing normally so I didn't find the flexing to my personal likeness and it is now in migo984's possession. However, I can understand why flexible nibs are so alluring to many others.

Brisboy
July 12th, 2014, 05:09 PM
I'd like to enter, please.
I'm currently on the search for a well priced Parker 45 harlequin. This little stypen appeals to me because I love little pens. Thanks for the give away.

caribbean_skye
July 12th, 2014, 05:36 PM
not an entry. an awesome looking pen. thanks for sharing the love murfie. good luck everyone

Hawk
July 12th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Your giveaway pen looks interesting and would be an excellent work pen. My pen collection started with vintage Parker pens that my parents had laying around. Added more Parkers, some Esterbrook's, older hard rubber pens, contemporary Pelikan's vintage Pelikan's and whatever. What is next? Since my eye wanders and the brain bounces around, I will be looking for vintage Pelikan in 100, 101N in gray or tortoise or 400 in tortoise whatever I can find and the budget allows.

DMurphy
July 12th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Well I see that I qualify for this PIF! My next pen is not hyper expensive and is not hard to find but finances are tight so I am saving my change for a TWSBi 700Vac with an EF nib. My writing style is very small and I find that it works best with a fine or EF nib. Now for the body selection, as my daughter attends Oklahoma State University I was leaning towards the Amber body, but as has been mentioned in on various sites I am considering the clear demonstrator body with a nice bright ink.

SDE352
July 12th, 2014, 10:27 PM
First off I'm not sure if I have any Thanks, I guess I will see after I post this...LOL I am very interested in this pen and I appreciate the opportunity to participate.

Now the fun part I am in serious pursuit of a Waterman 100 Year pen I am going crazy trying to get one. I almost had one the other day on e-bay but that did not work out. I was so hard up today I tried to get a Waterman 515 looked like a very nice pen but I was at work and got a important call and lost that one too.

So I am "Feening" for a Waterman 100! If I am not qualified that's fine just had to get that off my chest LOL!! and I could use some prayers for luck...

Thanks

tarheel1
July 13th, 2014, 12:30 AM
First off I'm not sure if I have any Thanks, I guess I will see after I post this...LOL I am very interested in this pen and I appreciate the opportunity to participate.

Now the fun part I am in serious pursuit of a Waterman 100 Year pen I am going crazy trying to get one. I almost had one the other day on e-bay but that did not work out. I was so hard up today I tried to get a Waterman 515 looked like a very nice pen but I was at work and got a important call and lost that one too.

So I am "Feening" for a Waterman 100! If I am not qualified that's fine just had to get that off my chest LOL!! and I could use some prayers for luck...

Thanks
You have been thanked twice, but I took care of it and thanked you a third time.

Murfie
July 13th, 2014, 12:44 AM
You have been thanked twice, but I took care of it and thanked you a third time.
I must say that was very thoughtful of you tarheel1 and quite kosher in relation to the spirit of the rules of this PIF. SDE352 did warrant your thanks based on her/his post and she/he has qualified before the PIF ended. Thank you.

I might add the reason behind my unusual qualification. The purpose of FPG and the forums supported therein, is the collective spread of knowledge about all aspects of fountain pen use and maintenance, in which all participants share regardless of whether you are gleaning information or providing it. Unfortunately, there seems to be a small group of members who only seem to post just to enter a PIF. So, rightly or wrongly (and I would be quite happy to take advice on the subject), I thought my qualification would encourage a little more interaction between some members who seem a little reticent to dive in.

SDE352
July 13th, 2014, 01:54 AM
Tarheel1 thanks for the extra Thanks. I'm good with not being qualified to be in the running! I actually liked the whole thing about the next pen you want to get. I have been trying for about two weeks now to get a Waterman 100 and it really has been crazy.

chatminouche
July 17th, 2014, 09:54 AM
This is a beautiful pen! I cannot enter as I am a new geek and have not posted much yet... however, I wanted to say that this is a very generous PIF and thank you for posting it! :)

tarheel1
July 17th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Tarheel1 thanks for the extra Thanks. I'm good with not being qualified to be in the running! I actually liked the whole thing about the next pen you want to get. I have been trying for about two weeks now to get a Waterman 100 and it really has been crazy.

No problem. Stick around and learn. Contribute as much as you can. It is a great group around here.

Sailor Kenshin
July 17th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Not an entry, but I own a number of Stypens and they're great little writers. I never saw one in that color, though. Very coooool.

RuiFromUK
July 17th, 2014, 01:06 PM
This is not an entry to this PIF of a very beautiful pen.

The aim is just to thank you for providing someone else the opportunity to own it.

Really looking forward to meet you in October.

johnus
July 17th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Thank you, yes, I'm interested.

rdcalhoon
July 17th, 2014, 02:15 PM
This particular pen does not speak to me, so I will pass, but I am sure someone will greatly enjoy it.
I have a Baoer 388 and a Kaigelu 356 coming in the mail. If I had a bit of cash that could only be spent on a fountain pen I would go for a TWSBI mini with an italic nib. There are lots of others.

Murfie
July 17th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Just a reminder that this PIF ends in just under 12 hours time and at present there are just eleven (11) entrants. Good luck everyone ...

Austin_Malone
July 17th, 2014, 07:43 PM
I think if I can ever get my Pelikan M250 sold that I'll probably get a Pilot Falcon with Rhodium Trim, along with a bottle of Iroshizuku Yu-Yake

Murfie
July 17th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Really looking forward to meet you in October.
Same here, Rui. I'm looking forward to attending a London Geeks meeting to put faces to FPG user names, and to go to the London Pen Show. We get a bit starved of those opportunities down here in The Colonies. Not much longer to wait. Best wishes ...

Murfie
July 18th, 2014, 05:34 AM
This PIF was drawn using Random.org and the winner is ....

DMurphy :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Random.org was only told the number of entrants and to select a number from the count. It was not informed of the similarity of sounds between our mutual user names. Congratulations to the winner and thank you to everyone who entered and contributed by given your thoughts about your next pen purchase.

There will be another Murfie PIF coming to an FPF forum near you very shortly ... watch this space!

Brisboy
July 18th, 2014, 06:07 AM
Excellent work DMurphy. ;D

Aleks
July 18th, 2014, 07:41 AM
congrats Dmurphy!!

tarheel1
July 18th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Congrats David. Thats 2 in a row. Maybe you should get some lottery tickets with the luck you have.

johnus
July 18th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Believe that someone once wrote that to PIF is twice blest;
It blesseth him that gives and him that received.... Or something like that.
... it does make your day nicer[emoji56]

DMurphy
July 19th, 2014, 05:36 AM
Thank you very much!

I am truly humbled from the generosity for all those that have sponsored PIFs, and not just the ones that I have been chosen as a winner. I enjoy sending the thank you notes to the sponsors as much as taking part in the events, and have been encouraged to spread my love of writing to others. I am not able now but will be sponsoring a PIF in the future, as it was said above there is as much benefit to the giver as there is for the person receiving.

Murfie Thank You! Yes a fortunate meshing of names and I typically go by 'Murf' for those that know me. And to think I have some ink just waiting to fill that pen, thank you VertOlive, it will be enjoyed.

DMurphy
July 31st, 2014, 10:33 AM
Just got my new French Stypen last night! Thank you Murfie!!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-cgOpjJ8pAyg/U9pttJerISI/AAAAAAAACjU/KSSOaJWdRdY/w683-h686-no/MurfieTY

Sailor Kenshin
July 31st, 2014, 10:55 AM
Love the thank-you note!

Murfie
July 31st, 2014, 04:27 PM
Just got my new French Stypen last night! Thank you Murfie!!
You are most welcome, David. And that sketch is just amazing. I have a tiny right brain hemisphere so I am always in awe of great art. Well done, I'm very jealous of your abilities. I can't even do a good stick man. :)