PDA

View Full Version : Life After (handwritten) Letters

fncll
July 12th, 2014, 11:56 AM
For a couple of reasons, I am unable to write much by hand anymore. More than a paragraph or two is difficult and those paragraphs significantly less legible than they used to be.

For me, the contents of the letters are the most important things, but naturally I enjoy the exploration of pens, papers and inks. I'm sad at this turn of events. Typing letters and printing them feels wrong. I miss the sensual feel of pen on paper. I do love typography and design---though I'm no good at the latter---so I plan to continue to experiment with layout and paper and being, if not visually interesting, at least not boring.

My new situation also messes with my previous personal rules of letter writing (first draft, only draft; never leave a letter unsent; never keep copies of outgoing letters), which have to be modified to suit digital technology. Unless (until?) I get a typewriter.

Which is all to say to those who have corresponded with me in the past and noticed my absence, this is a good part of the reason why.

Silverbreeze
July 12th, 2014, 12:06 PM
For a couple of reasons, I am unable to write much by hand anymore. More than a paragraph or two is difficult and those paragraphs significantly less legible than they used to be.

For me, the contents of the letters are the most important things, but naturally I enjoy the exploration of pens, papers and inks. I'm sad at this turn of events. Typing letters and printing them feels wrong. I miss the sensual feel of pen on paper. I do love typography and design---though I'm no good at the latter---so I plan to continue to experiment with layout and paper and being, if not visually interesting, at least not boring.

My new situation also messes with my previous personal rules of letter writing (first draft, only draft; never leave a letter unsent; never keep copies of outgoing letters), which have to be modified to suit digital technology. Unless (until?) I get a typewriter.

Which is all to say to those who have corresponded with me in the past and noticed my absence, this is a good part of the reason why.

I wouldn't mind as long as you don't mind my bitching about paper, nibs and inks in my replies :-)

AndyT
July 12th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Very sorry to hear that, Chris. I've very much enjoyed our brief exchange and would like it to continue by whatever means.

Actually, I've been wracked with guilt at not getting back to you, but my life has been and continues to be a matter of crises punctuated by the occasional brief period of uneasy calm thus far this year. I have every intention of resuming my correspondence if things ever settle down again, and just maybe there might be some positive news for a change.

Take care,
Andy

jde
July 12th, 2014, 03:04 PM

Awww, Chris! So sorry to read about your writing issues. Fret not, and do what you need to do, ay?

Kindest regards,
Julie

caribbean_skye
July 12th, 2014, 05:43 PM
sorry to hear this chris. i dont believe we've ever exchanged letters but i know how devestated i would be in your shoes. since the contents of the letters are important, find a couple of interesting cursive type fonts and print away. i dont know about anyone else but i am not a stickler for fp-only letters.

VertOlive
July 12th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Argh! A rough patch of road for you. I did enjoy our short exchange and wish you well. But any sort of personal correspondence is always a good thing as I see it.

fncll
July 13th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Thanks, all. I will give myself a swift kick and try resuming my correspondence!