PDA

View Full Version : MB 121 - just arrived!

peterpen53
June 15th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Got this in the mail today, from Bryant. A 1960's pen as far as I know, with an oblique nib (OB), my first. Very smooth and wet writer and a very fun nib to play with. Amazing how slim and light pens were in those days.

611 612

KrazyIvan
June 15th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I like that pen. Very nice line variation and the inlaid nib look is one I have always liked.

melissa59
June 15th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Very nice. I wouldn't mind seeing close ups if you can manage it.

By the way, I love the note that says, "Not really broad unless you hold it like this."
Of course, I'm thinking Like What? I don't see any diagrams. LOL

Never mind the close ups. I clicked on the photo to enlarge it, then realized I could click again to make it bigger.

peterpen53
June 18th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Hmm. Should be more careful when I'm testing a new pen.:) Or do it in Dutch.

My point was that an oblique nib having a slanted cut, it needs to be held slightly more parallel to the writing line to take full advantage of the line variation it offers, instead of my usual 45º.

Slight adjustment to my previous post: I found the MB 121 in a 1973 Montblanc catalogue on Tom Westerich's website, so in spite of not having a starting date for its production, it might be slightly younger than I thought. It remains a very sweet pen nonetheless. For those interested, you can find the catalogue here http://www.caprafico.com/tld/www.caprafico.com/files/802285460.pdf. The range of consumer-grade pens Montblanc offered at the time is really amazing. And thanks to FPN-member Michael R. for providing the link.

Cheers,
Peter

Bogon07
June 18th, 2012, 06:59 PM
PeterPen53, Congratulations on your nice looking pen. The writing experience appears good too from your writing sample.

peterpen53
June 19th, 2012, 02:23 AM
Thanks, Bogon. It is a very nice pen to use indeed. I have taken to it immediately. I just can't seem to find any information on it, except for what I mentioned above and another very meager post by, again, Tom Westerich.

goldiesdad
June 20th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Congrats ... Love the line variation on that bad boy ...

ianmedium
June 23rd, 2012, 07:04 PM
What a lovely pen Peter. I love the shape of the nib and your handwriting is lovely.

peterpen53
June 24th, 2012, 06:21 AM
What a lovely pen Peter. I love the shape of the nib and your handwriting is lovely.

Thank you all for your nice comments.
@Ian. It's odd, though. For a long time I did not really care for Montblanc and not at all for vintage-like pens. Now I'm all over Montblanc and this one in particular I cannot seem to put down. It's the nibs, man, the nibs.
Oh well, Bob Dylan said it a long time ago: the times they are a-changin'. So do taste and opinion.

Cheers,
Peter

ianmedium
June 26th, 2012, 04:34 PM
It's like Avacodo's Peter! I suppose I should explain! I used to hate the things, you could not force one near me, now I eat them most days and love them! I know a lot of folks either don't like them or knock Mont Blanc but I have to say even though I have only owned three each one has been super reliable, great writers and make me feel good when writing with them!