PDA

View Full Version : Waterman Carene with a fabulous stub nib

Murfie
July 15th, 2014, 12:22 AM
My latest batch of photos are of a new Waterman Carene, purchased from Mr. Pen in the U.K. This one is in gloss black with gold plate trim, converter fill, with an 18kt gold factory stub nib. It is a comfortable medium sized pen that has a total inked weight of 34.8gms. The pen is well balanced and has an uncapped length of 127mm so posting the cap is unnecessary and does make the pen back-heavy.

The design is clean and graceful - totally at the whims of subjective opinion. The stand-out feature for me is the nib. It was a tad scratchy out of the box, but a quick, light swipe on 6000 and 8000 grit micromesh produced a beautifully smooth nib, which is very firm (typical of an inlaid nib) but with a rich ink flow (7+/10). The digital calipers measured the nib width at 1.4mm but the vertical line width produced is more akin to that from a 1.1mm nib. The horizontal line width is extra fine as the sample shows. This nib feels so good to write with and I would have to say it's one of the best nibs I have used.

I've loaded it with Iroshizuku Chiku-rin at the moment but I'm going to enjoy trying other darker and more saturated inks as I think it will only get better.

Jon Szanto
July 15th, 2014, 12:31 AM
No kidding!

I got one of these from one of our FPG peeps earlier this year, and it is a knockout in the writing dept. Hard to believe it can be both that much of a nail and that smooth. Lovely pen, and certainly shot up to the top of my pen list when I've got a bunch of writing to do.

It may not be easy to source, but I can totally vouch for Parker Penman Sapphire in this baby. Then again, mine is blue (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/7090-Waterman-Carene-Deluxe-STUB-Prussian-Blue-mint-in-box-129). :)

Murfie
July 15th, 2014, 12:46 AM
I got one of these from one of our FPG peeps earlier this year
You certainly got that one at a great price, Jon. Great pickup!

migo984
July 15th, 2014, 01:06 AM
.............It may not be easy to source, but I can totally vouch for Parker Penman Sapphire in this baby............. :)

Hey Murfie - I have a bottle of Parker Penman Sapphire. P'raps that Carene can come on the UK visit........?

Murfie
July 15th, 2014, 02:04 AM
Hey Murfie - I have a bottle of Parker Penman Sapphire. P'haps that Carene can come on the UK visit........?
Now there is an offer I can't refuse!

RuiFromUK
July 15th, 2014, 02:40 AM
Hey Murfie - I have a bottle of Parker Penman Sapphire. P'haps that Carene can come on the UK visit........?
Now there is an offer I can't refuse!

A little bird tells me that you have already booked a plane ticket and that you will be at the London Pen Show where you will meet some of the UK Geeks and Jeph who lives at the moment in Germany.

Is this just an excuse to get the ink sample? LOL

Or was the little bird wrong and was just telling me stories? :jaw:

Murfie
July 15th, 2014, 02:46 AM
Or was the little bird wrong and was just telling me stories?
Pity I'm not American, then I could claim the Fifth Amendment. :)

Bogon07
July 15th, 2014, 02:59 AM
Nice pen and it produces an attractive line from that nib.
Once again great photos. Thanks for expanding my pen knowledge.