PDA

View Full Version : Visconti Van Gogh Maxi start up problem

gclyn
July 15th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Hi all, hopefully, I can make myself clear and get some opinions. I have a Van Gogh Maxi that writes well. My problem is that if I put it in my shirt pocket (upright) for about 3 minutes or longer, the pen has problems starting up to write. I have to shake it a few times for the ink to flow into nib.

If I store the pen horizontally, no problems. Wondering what might be problem. I looked at my nib and noticed that the end of the nib is a little apart from the feed. I took a picture, to show where the nib and feed do not touch. Could this be the reason with the start up problem?

You can see the separation from the nib and feed at the tip

Thanks.

KBeezie
July 15th, 2014, 10:37 AM
It could be if it's drying out too fast (among a number of things). Was the nib always like that (to your knowledge)? Also not too familiar with Visconti, but normally I would say re-seat the nib, otherwise probably have it serviced if it's too much of an issue. Alternatively you could try wetter inks or different inks in general.

I am curious which ink it is, and I'm also curious why you are 'shaking' it.

LagNut
July 15th, 2014, 10:53 AM
I do think the non contact is a problem. You should not be able to get thin paper between the nib and feed.

If it's in warranty I'd send it in for service. Otherwise I'd push the feed toward the nib after heating the feed in warm water.

I'd see what the experts advise- I'm not an expert.

Cheers
Mike

KBeezie
July 15th, 2014, 11:51 AM
I do think the non contact is a problem. You should not be able to get thin paper between the nib and feed.

If it's in warranty I'd send it in for service. Otherwise I'd push the feed toward the nib after heating the feed in warm water.

Cheers
Mike

Not the nib towards the feed? (unless it's an ebonite feed then I guess that'd be easier)

HeresyHammer
July 15th, 2014, 12:21 PM
I did a test with my Visconti. I have an Opera Elements and there is a wider gap between the nib and feed on my pen than any other brand in my collection. But mine writes straight away with absolutely no skipping. I examined it under a loupe and notice that before I wrote while holding the pen upright, light would pass through the feed and nib. When I wrote with it, the ink was suspended in the gap and blocked out the light. I put it in my shirt pocket for a few minutes and the ink receded down the feed allowing light to pass through again. Then, I slowly and gently turned the pen nib down as if I was going to write while looking through a loupe. The ink filled the gap again by gravity. It may be that your gap is just a little wider and hindering flow. Then again it may be something completely different.

My recommendation is first try a couple of inks. I hear Private Reserve Tanzanite is Fountain Pen "ex-lax". If after experimenting with different inks and papers the pen is not writing the way you want it to write, send it back to Visconti for repair or better yet a nibmeister. He'll/She'll fix it up right, quick, and in a hurry. My experience is that Visconti is great for mechanical malfunctions such as broken parts, cracks, pistons, etc. Nibs and feeds are not the repair department's specialty. I'm bringing my Visconti OP to the DC show to have it worked on. I believe there a bit of inverted grand canyon. It's probably going to have be twisted with pliers so the tines align properly from top to bottom.

In summery, I will tear my cheap Chinese pens apart any day of the week and do all sorts of modifications because if I'm okay if I ruin an 8 dollar pen. However, I would rather pay the modest cost of an experienced nibmeister to work on my Visconti, Yard-O-Led, and Duofold rather than be sitting at my desk with a cracked Visconti feed in my hands.

cwent2
July 15th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Then again, how long has this pen been inked with the ink that is in the pen. If it has been awhile since the pen was flushed..... or is this always happened..... or a new issue with a new ink

So many variables.

gclyn
July 15th, 2014, 02:52 PM
I am using the Graf Von Faber-Castell brown ink, but I've also tried Iroshizuku and Pelikan inks with the same problem as HeresyHammer. As a matter of fact that is exactly what happens to mine. The pen was cleaned thoroughly with soap and water and air dried. The nib is new. Once the pen writes, it's a fantastic writer.

KBeezie, as said in the post, I'm shaking it to force the ink into the nib so I can start writing, otherwise, it takes awhile to be able to write.

LagNut, I can fit a piece of paper between the nib and feed.

I tried removing the nib and feed, but it is so tight, I cannot seem to budge it. I am able to unscrew the collar though...maybe will try the heat method and see if I cannot get the nib and feed loose.

john
July 15th, 2014, 03:09 PM
No need to screw it out, just pull the nib and the feed out with your fingers. I do it many times with my Visconti Opera juice.

LagNut
July 15th, 2014, 04:26 PM

Cheers
Mike

Not the nib towards the feed? (unless it's an ebonite feed then I guess that'd be easier)
First point, and most important: I'm not an expert.

I'd always push the feed into the nib.

I'm wondering also if the nib is not in all the way. I'd try to get them together without heat if that is possible.

Realistically, a nibmeister might be just the ticket.

But I do believe the nib and feed need to be in contact for the system to work correctly.

I'm also thinking that the nib unscrews, but I have a HS, not a Van Gogh.

KrazyIvan
July 15th, 2014, 06:34 PM
There should be no space between the nib and feed. You are breaking the capillary action and in turn stopping flow, hence your startup problem. The nib is juicy enough that it starts flowing again but I'd expect almost no flow at all from almost any other pen.

gclyn
July 15th, 2014, 09:52 PM
I still cannot pull out the nib and feed. I tried soaking it in soapy water for a few minutes and still will not budge. I have a Visconti Desert Springs that I am able to pull out with no problems...not sure why this nib is so tight...I'll keep trying and if I cannot do it...will have to bring it to a nibmeister.

Thanks for the replies...will keep you updated if anything changes.

HeresyHammer
July 15th, 2014, 11:29 PM
In the words of Dr. Rumack, "I just want to tell you (both), good luck, we're all counting on you." Just be careful and if that little voice in your mind is telling you to stop, listen to it. I know from experience :)

KBeezie
July 17th, 2014, 12:42 AM
KBeezie, as said in the post, I'm shaking it to force the ink into the nib so I can start writing, otherwise, it takes awhile to be able to write.

I got that much, but I never 'shake' my pens, I just rest the nib onto the paper a couple of times and wait for the flow to come out. Shaking seems to cause issues in my experience.

RuiFromUK
July 17th, 2014, 01:40 AM
When I received the stub nib for my Visconti Opera Crystal I had the same problem and after washing up and re-sit the feed on the nib about 1/2mm forward I have no longer that problem. It is now a wet nib which starts immediately.

gclyn
July 18th, 2014, 10:50 PM

I got that much, but I never 'shake' my pens, I just rest the nib onto the paper a couple of times and wait for the flow to come out. Shaking seems to cause issues in my experience.

Hmmmm, maybe my syntax is wrong. I flick my hand downward 2-3 times to force the ink into the nib. Never had a problem or an issues doing that. If I rested the nib on the paper, it would take about 20 seconds for the ink to flow again...unacceptable and unusable for me to wait that long for the nib to flow...thus, the "flick method" :-)

gclyn
July 18th, 2014, 10:52 PM
Well, I was finally able, remove the nib and feed, after some careful wiggling and pulling using a latex glove for some extra grip. The nib and feed popped out eventualy.

I bent the nib/tines downward a little, reseated the nib and feed...and the problem seemed to have been fixed.

Will let you know if the problem persists.

Thanks for all the help