PDA

View Full Version : Cool Pen-Related Quotes

writingrav
July 15th, 2014, 06:15 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has started a thread like this before or where else to put it, but I came across a fabulous pen related line in a novel I'm reading and I had to share.
From: The Whereabouts of Eneas McNulty b Sabastian Barry. The sentence:
"He prays to his God that he might be rescued or, like those decrepit pens they used to find on their desks at the start of each school year, be given a fresh nib."

Any others?

cwent2
July 15th, 2014, 06:38 PM
None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try.

Mark Twain

:jester:

VertOlive
July 15th, 2014, 06:44 PM
"The pen is mightier than the sword if it has been sharpened to a
fine point, dipped in deadly poison and is thrown from ten feet away."---Anonymous (?)

mtnbiker62
July 15th, 2014, 09:40 PM
"I like the idea of ink flowing out of my hand and saturating the paper. There's something intimate about that. It's more like you're making something than typing is. I'm thinking of going back to raven quill. And writing in lizard blood."
-- Tom Robbins

Kurt S
August 10th, 2014, 10:55 AM
"My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on an airplane"

Graham Greene

mrcharlie
September 5th, 2014, 12:17 AM
"The writing's good, though. I'd have to say that. The choice of words, I mean. The phrasing. The narrative flow. I'm not talking about the penmanship."
"I didn't think you were."
"Because outside of the nuns, who gives a rat's ass about penmanship?"

-- Lawrence Block, A Drop of the Hard Stuff

johnus
September 5th, 2014, 10:38 AM
"Because outside of the nuns, who gives a rat's ass about penmanship?"
Did you go to Elementary School with me???
Palmer Method , remember it well!

Cob
September 5th, 2014, 01:08 PM
From A Boy at the Hogarth Press by Richard Kennedy:

A bad day today. L[eonard] W[oolf] came into the office and helped himself to some of the petty cash. Then, as always, he very deliberately took out his Onoto fountain pen and with a trembling hand entered the sum in the little red cash book.

Rgds

Cob

ainterne
October 16th, 2014, 10:23 PM
After buying my first pen on Ebay I quoted..... "Experience is something we get after we needed it"

Phil.

Neo
October 17th, 2014, 01:14 PM
The pen is the tongue of the mind.-Horace

Flounder
October 23rd, 2014, 11:19 AM
After buying my first pen on Ebay I quoted..... "Experience is something we get after we needed it"

Phil.

On the same theme, despite the modesty of writing instruments on display at his soon-to-be-disbanded collection of antique stuff donated to the city, I love this rebuke of Sir William Burrell to Lord Eccles: "Young man, you should not bid against me!"

Neo
January 13th, 2015, 03:15 AM
Reading and writing, like everything else, improve with practice. And, of course, if there are no young readers and writers, there will shortly be no older ones. Literacy will be dead, and democracy - which many believe goes hand in hand with it - will be dead as well.

Margaret Atwood

fncll
January 13th, 2015, 09:34 AM
"Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both." — Lemony Snicket

BMG
February 16th, 2015, 07:00 PM
The pen is the tongue of the mind.-Horace

Hmm. Did Horace really write the above? I know Cervantes wrote the below:

La pluma es lengua del alma.

Which has been mistranslated as "The pen is the tongue of the mind,” but would be more accurately rendered as “The pen is the tongue of the soul.”

Alternate translations:

– The pen is the language of the soul.
– The feather is the tongue of the soul.
– The pen is the feather of the soul of the mind.

:)

jfsisler
March 6th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Cool! There's a couple of quotes I've found lately that i"ll post, once i can find where I wrote them down:)

Bisquitlips
April 9th, 2015, 05:11 PM
"Flowing from my stylus to parchment; seeing the blood of my thoughts manifested before me. Taking on deliberate craftsmanship, yet often taking me to places satisfyingly unintended."

mrcharlie
October 6th, 2015, 12:58 AM
In the book "The Invention of Morel" by Adolfo Bioy Casares, first published in Argentina in 1940, translated into English by Ruth L. C. Simms:

"We are suspicious of a stranger who tells us his life story, who tells us spontaneously that he has been captured, sentenced to life imprisonment, and that we are his reason for living. We are afraid that he is merely tricking us into buying a fountain pen or a bottle with a miniature sailing vessel inside."