PDA

View Full Version : Fountain Pen Revolution Experiment - Fail

mtnbiker62
July 17th, 2014, 08:40 PM
I thought that it would be interesting to give the eyedropper pens from Fountain Pen Revolution a try, so I ordered a couple of them: A Gama Eyas and a Gama Popular, both with fine nibs. They are similar in size, and similar to the pen size that I like, so I gave them a shot. I had heard and read mixed reviews of these pens, but I thought it would be fun to try them out. Ordering was straightforward and easy, and delivery was quick. I had them in my hand 8 days after I received the email saying they would be shipped within 24 hours.

The pens were packaged simply (bubble wrap), but securely, and when I unwrapped them, I found out that I had been given a bonus pen: a Serwex Special 101 (if I'm reading it correctly). So I got 3 for the price of 2...a nice surprise. I decided that this would be a good chance to use up some of my growing collection of ink samples, so I inked the Serwex with Platinum Carbon Black, the Eyas with J. Herbin Vert Olive and the Popular with Diamine Ancient Copper. Unfortunately, that is the end of the good part of this story. I inked the Serwex first, and set it aside. As I was inking the Eyas, I looked over and could see the Serwex puking ink onto my desk. At first I thought I had misapplied the silicone grease, but when I picked up the pen, I could see it was coming from between the feed and the nib. I put the pen into a nib-up position, and I could see the ink drain back into the pen. I tried removing and reinserting the nib and feed several times, placing it in a different configuration each time (more feed in the pen, less feed in the pen, etc.) but no matter what I did, the pen would write one line then begin to leak ink everywhere. It's plain to see why they give this pen away...it's junk, and I wasted a perfectly good ink sample finding that out. I did get a little satisfaction throwing it over the fence into my neighbor's hay field, though.

So, hopefully the two pens I paid for would be more satisfying. And they are...slightly. The Popular seems to have a proper nib and feed, and the ink flow is good, but the nib was poorly set up and so scratchy as to be unusable. I worked with it for about 10 minutes, and got it so it is usable (and I am new at adjusting nibs, so I'm sure someone else could make it better), but it still needs some work and some smoothing. The Eyas's nib was well adjusted, but if its a fine nib, I'll eat your hat. It writes a very broad line, and pours ink out the nib. It was feathering in my Staples Sustainable Earth Bagasse notebook, and I've never had a fine nib feather on that paper, regardless of what ink I used.

So, long story short, as far as I'm concerned, this was a $77 dollar experiment that failed. While I've got the two pens inked up, I'll probably try to smooth them and adjust the flow a little for practice, but once that is done, I'll clean them out and put them away...far away! As always, YMMV, but as for me, there won't be any more Fountain Pen Revolution pens in my future. Sorry Kevin.

gbryal
July 17th, 2014, 10:01 PM
I am in the middle of such an experiment. My first batch arrived a little dinged up, and Kevin replaced them at once without question. My replacements were not dinged, but from the first batch my Dilli ended up leaking out the piston cap and got a lot of ink behind the piston that I can't clean. I was able to take apart my gurus and clean them, and they have been much better. I got an Airmail 77rd eyedropper that didn't perform well (burped a lot of ink every time it would start) but I didn't fill it the way they said (fill, screw on half way, turn, screw on the rest of the way) and I will try that soon.

My Trivenis have been great. I have two identical Trivenis with identical nibs, but one writes a gushy thick line and the other does not, but this is something I can certainly adjust. With an ebonite feed, it probably pays to make sure it's well heat-adjusted, especially on pens of this price, and I intend to see if I can bring these both to the fine line they should be through that process.

I have only dipped my free Serwex and that went well, but we will see when I go to fill it.

I have another order coming in, so will report when that comes. So far I can't recommend the Dilli and am somewhat hesitant with the particular Airmail I got, not only because of the burp but because the metal cap leaves a mark on the body. I have two of that pen, and the second actually writes very well with some Serenity Blue.

mtnbiker62
July 17th, 2014, 10:11 PM
My Serwex pen seems to have an incorrect feed/nib combo. If I push the nib in to the point where it seats, it barely comes up to the breather hole on the nib. If I align it properly with the nib, it leaks like crazy. It looks to me like the feed needs to be several millimeters longer. I have a couple of Knox #6 nibs laying around, so I'll probably try to fit them into the Gama pens and see how those work. I'll report here when I do.

Lady Onogaro
July 17th, 2014, 10:21 PM
I tried the Serwexes, too, and I can't recommend them either.

discopig
July 17th, 2014, 11:34 PM
I've had mixed experiences with some of their Serwex pens myself, but I'm pretty happy with their FPR Triveni with flex nib. It's probably the only FPR pen I could recommend.

gbryal
July 18th, 2014, 03:06 AM
I reseated and heat-set the feed to the nib on the gushing Triveni and it's much better.

mtnbiker62
July 18th, 2014, 06:07 AM
I've never tried heat setting the feed on a pen, but I have seen the Goulet how-to video, so maybe I'll have to give it a try. I have an ebonite Konrad that could use some work also!

mhguda
July 18th, 2014, 06:44 AM
mtnbiker62, I'm sorry for your negative experience with the FPR pens. I have been their customer for a few years now and only ever had good experiences, although I have had to adjust some nibs and heat-set some combos. All with excellent guiding info from Kevin. The Serwex 101 is their standard giveaway, and I think I must have had at least six, most of which I've given away; never had any problem with them, but how many of one model does one need?
The Serwexes are cheap and so some variance should be expected; but your experience with the Gamas was a real surprise. I think of all the handmade Indian pens, Gama as a manufacturer is my favorite; I've never had a Gama that wouldn't write, perfectly or almost so, right out of the pouch. I usually do adjust them somewhat, wanting a stub instead of their standard nib, for example, and sometimes a little heavier flow. And I did notice that they want a good flush initially, and after every two or three inkings. And applying some silicone grease to the threads every now and then also helps. But in my experience, they are wonderful pens. I've got a total of six.

kidde
July 18th, 2014, 10:42 AM
I was recently gifted a Dilli because the piston froze and ink was running from the blind cap. After a session of Utube and sbrebrown I took it apart as much as I could and began trying to clean it. It is now operational and I find their flex nib interresting. It's softer than Noodlers but doesn't flex as far, to me.
I have some Indian pens, bought from ASA pens, that are priced right for what you get. They are cheap pens but all have worked. No large mess or failure, yet.
My understanding of FPR is they stand behind their products and will make good on any issues you have. While very frustrating, without letting them know your problems they can't fix them, and hopefully prevent others from experiencing them.

Paul

BTW - I'm not usually lucky, but every free-bonus-toss in the box-gift pen I've received has been a good writer. Cheap and ugly? Maybe, but so far they have worked (can't say that for every pen I've paid for).

snedwos
July 18th, 2014, 10:52 AM
My experience with the Triveni has been good.

The Dilli is, I think, crap. It's flimsy, I took it apart, and now the piston mechanism twists part way out of the barrel whenever I operate it, the stub nib is scratchy, and I can see the cracks developing already.

Now for the good part. the Guru, which I got for ONE PENNY as part of the deal, has been quite a find. It's cheaply constructed, but out of less brittle plastics than the Dilli, and the nib and feed worked absolutely perfect out of the box. It's one of my best writers actually. And I like the classic Vacumatic clone styling a lot too. Imagine if it was made out of stripy plastic!

manoeuver
July 18th, 2014, 11:26 AM
I've really liked the Airmails I've had. Didn't care for the Dilli. Serwex have all worked well enough for me and are great for penvangelism.

also: questionable form complaining here before talking to Kevin.

snedwos
July 18th, 2014, 11:33 AM
That's true. I apologise. But I will reiterate how much I adore the Guru.

mtnbiker62
July 18th, 2014, 11:43 AM
I've really liked the Airmails I've had. Didn't care for the Dilli. Serwex have all worked well enough for me and are great for penvangelism.

also: questionable form complaining here before talking to Kevin.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it, but I disagree with you somewhat, and I'll tell you why. I worked in Product Quality and Engineering for 27 years, so this is a long-held professional and personal belief of mine. A customer has every right to expect that a product will function as described "out-of-the-box". Customer service after the sale is an entirely different thing, which is what contacting Kevin would be. Interestingly enough, Kevin has reached out to me, and has offered to replace the Gama nibs with some new ones that he has sourced. So in my opinion, initial quality of the product wasn't as good as it could have been, and thus my "complaint", and contacting Kevin would not change that fact. Customer service after the sale was outstanding, as Kevin reached out to me, and we are working together on a solution. I think that is a fair evaluation, and I will definitely update my review once the new nibs arrive and heat-setting and adjustment (if necessary) are accomplished. I have very high hopes for the Gama pens, because they do fit my hand exactly as I hoped they would.

AtomicLeo
July 18th, 2014, 11:53 AM
My Dili fell apart after 6 months of light use around the office. I still have a clear one I haven't even opened. I was very disappointed. The MB with the flex nib was fantastic, but I ruined the nib on it and haven't replaced it. The Serwex that came with one of my orders was garbage.

I wish they would carry the Ratnamson pens. I have the 302 and it's a work horse at work. Very disappointed that I missed the Organic Studio pens from this same company.

gbryal
July 18th, 2014, 09:21 PM
I just contacted Kevin about my Dilli getting ink behind the piston, and I said since it was a 1 cent pen, and I had tried to fix it, I didn't need a replacement, but just wanted him to know it did have problems, so he'd know. He said 1 cent or $100, he wants to replace it. He's a class act. I'll be sure to post when I receive it if it has issues or is improved.

mtnbiker62
July 18th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Kevin does indeed appear to be a class act. He reached out to me to replace the nibs I complained about. I will also update my post with a review of the pens when I get the replacement nibs installed and adjusted.

a_m
July 29th, 2014, 09:02 PM
If u had bought from ASApens you could have saved some $ besides being saved from post purchase hassels

http://asapens.in/eshop/gama-eyas-shiny-black-ebonite-fountain-pen

I like mango pudding
July 29th, 2014, 10:03 PM
I too have had bad experiences with FPR pens, specifically the free giveaway Serwex. Had the same problem as the OP and ruined some office paper work. THe other pen I had had the same problem as another poster - the piston froze and when I tried to free it by twisting it some more, the blind cap snapped right off. Nothing worked at all with any of these pens. Poorly made, and poorly functioning.

I will never buy an Indian pen ever again.

a_m
July 29th, 2014, 11:07 PM
In my view Servex and its derivatives are the worst Indian fountain pens. They are not representative of good quality Indian FPs

bk123
July 30th, 2014, 04:56 AM
I too have had bad experiences with FPR pens, specifically the free giveaway Serwex. Had the same problem as the OP and ruined some office paper work. THe other pen I had had the same problem as another poster - the piston froze and when I tried to free it by twisting it some more, the blind cap snapped right off. Nothing worked at all with any of these pens. Poorly made, and poorly functioning.

I will never buy an Indian pen ever again.

I respect your view on Indian pens. But not all Indian pens are of poor quality. I do agree that Serwex pens are not of good quality. However, there are many Indian pens which are good in quality and performance. You can PM me in case you need more info or help to buy Indian Pens. I'm not a seller; just a FP user since my childhood and have decent collections of almost every brand of FPs.

scrivelry
July 30th, 2014, 07:50 AM
With Indian Fountain pens in general I think we have to remember that some of these companies are small, and not really equipped to market themselves internationally, so what we see of the total production of Indian Fountain pens is that tiny slice which places like FPR can find, forge a relationship with, convince to sell to them at a price that leaves enough room for them to make a profit, etc. Not every company is going to have the time/desire to bother with this form of selling to the world outside of India. So there could be really wonderful pens we will never see unless we go to India ourselves.

It seems unfair to decide that the entire production of an entire country is worthless when we get such a limited sampling of them here.