PDA

View Full Version : CON-70 Converter and Air Bubbles

AtomicLeo
July 18th, 2014, 11:42 AM
I have a beautiful metal Pilot Falcon that has been in deep storage for ages because the converter would form an air bubble at the feed and ink would stop flowing. Only a push of the button on the converter would dislodge it and after ruining a pair shorts with an ink blob I decided it was time to move on. On the reddit fountain pen forum someone told me that the newer CON-70 had an agitator in it to prevent this from happening. Like an idiot, I went ahead and ordered a new one with out consulting here and found out that the new does not in fact have an agitator, just the top is now black instead of silver. _sigh_

I seem to recall a thread on FPN detailing a way to fill the CON-70 converter to prevent this from happening, but I can't locate it. Anyone here familiar with this thread or have suggestions to prevent this problem so I can use my pen again.

LagNut
July 18th, 2014, 04:27 PM
My con 70 has an agitator. Looks like a miniature cork with a wire stuck in the end.

LagNut
July 18th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Also, can you unscrew the end? Not sure if it's a good idea, but have thought about inserting a small piece of brass tubing inside to do this.

Haven't done it, but have thought about it for Parker converters.

AtomicLeo
July 18th, 2014, 07:49 PM
My con 70 has an agitator. Looks like a miniature cork with a wire stuck in the end.

Both have a black plug (cork?) on the wire attached to the top of the converter. It did not seem to remove my air bubbles. I was hoping it had an agitator similar to the new redesigned CON-50.

AtomicLeo
July 18th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Also, can you unscrew the end? Not sure if it's a good idea, but have thought about inserting a small piece of brass tubing inside to do this.

Haven't done it, but have thought about it for Parker converters.

No I haven't thought about that. Now I have a spare, I can experiment with this idea.

Austin_Malone
July 18th, 2014, 09:37 PM
If I were you, I would just refill a cartridge and save myself the worry.

tarheel1
July 19th, 2014, 07:53 AM
I have not had any issues with my con 70 thus far. I fill it slowley and usuakly do 7 or 8 pumps total while it is in the ink to get rid of bubbles.

reprieve
July 19th, 2014, 08:23 AM
I've not had any issues with mine either.

You've probably already tried this, but have you flushed the converter with a bit of water and dish soap? Or water and ammonia? That usually helps a great deal if the ink is sticking to the walls of the converter. Also, have you tried a cartridge, just to make sure that the pen writes consistently (that there aren't some other flow issues going on)?

AtomicLeo
July 19th, 2014, 04:09 PM
I've not had any issues with mine either.

You've probably already tried this, but have you flushed the converter with a bit of water and dish soap? Or water and ammonia? That usually helps a great deal if the ink is sticking to the walls of the converter. Also, have you tried a cartridge, just to make sure that the pen writes consistently (that there aren't some other flow issues going on)?

I have tried cleaning it out and it didn't help. I did try the pen with a cartridge and it was a bit better. With a cartridge, it would skip on downstrokes occansionaly but it did not completely stop writing the way it would with a converter. It could probably use a trip to someone who knows how to adjust a nib.

discopig
July 20th, 2014, 06:05 AM
I have no issues with both of my CON-70's. Even if I try to rush it and cause bubbles to appear, it does not seem to be doing so.

LagNut
July 20th, 2014, 01:39 PM
When you say the wire is attached to the top, do you mean it doesn't move up and down the convertor when empty? My cork/wire moves in the convertor. Slides from nib to button.

I haven't had a problem writing with mine from full to empty.

heldercgrande
July 21st, 2014, 08:11 AM
I have the same problem, big air bubbles blocking the ink flow, with my CON-70. My pen is a Pilot Custom Heritage 91 with SFM nib. From time to time it would stop writing. When I use the pen with the CON-20 converter, such a problem doesnt happen anymore. I dont like the CON-20 because of its lower ink capacity, and because I can not see the ink level. So I am also looking for a solution to this problem.

Wile E Coyote
July 21st, 2014, 08:30 AM
Just a thought...there could be mold release still in the converter from manufacturing that might be causing the large air bubbles. Try washing the inside of the converter well with ammonia, dish soap, etc.

GING GING
August 25th, 2014, 06:16 PM

Oh, I was wondering what that was. Thanx