PDA

View Full Version : Parker 45 - 14kt nib

Murfie
July 18th, 2014, 07:33 PM
​THIS PIF IS NOW CONCLUDED

​The subject for this PIF is one of my favourite workhorse pens - the ubiquitous Parker 45 - often referred to as the Volkswagen of fountain pens.

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12880&stc=1

I've been giving these pens a bit of a flogging in the photos forum of late and some members have suggested - tongue in cheek - that my publicity has been driving the prices up for good second hand examples. So I thought if I gave one away for zip, then that might have an equal and opposite effect and get me off the hook. :)

The 45 I am offering is a black CT with brushed metal cap and fitted with a 14kt fine nib. This pen has a couple of minor flaws, the first being a slight warp in the barrel that can be discerned in the second photo below. The second flaw is some slight pitting on the cap ring. Apart from that there are some very minor traces of wear on the section and barrel. The pen comes complete with a Parker push converter. Free airmail is included to any country.

To enter you have to meet the following criteria -

You have had to have been thanked more than twice by other FPG members;
You have not won a previous FPG PIF in the past three months; and
You have to submit a post in this thread stating your intention to enter and a description of your main workhorse pen and the reason why you favour that particular pen for that role.

This PIF will end on July 25th at noon GMT. The winner will be drawn using the random number selector at Random.org and will be advised by PM after which they have five days to claim their prize. Good luck to all entrants.

AtomicLeo
July 18th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Lovely pen! I would like add this to my handful of P51 that I own. My workhorse pen is a Lamy Safari at work. Works well with the Noodler's inks that I like to use (Black, Zhivago and Big Bad Belted Kingfisher) and puts up with office abuse quite well. Right now I'm trying a lovely new ink Massachusetts 54th in it!

DMurphy
July 18th, 2014, 08:46 PM
This is not an entry!

I like the fact that you are attempting to balance your Karma! with yet another generous PIF, I do not like the term giveaway due to the feeling of generosity I have gained be becoming a benefactor recently, for a worthy home.

My current workhorse is the Lamy Safari with the EF nib, I have it loaded with Noodler's X-Feather ink, I use this to write on virtually any paper that I have at my disposal and have not had any bleed through issues or feathering. My wife just smiles when I use it to sign tickets at dinner. The EF writes very dry and is fine enough to support my style of writing.

For letter writing I use the pen Tarheel1 PIFd to me or my Ahab Flex, both allow me to be very expressive although the one Tarheel1 sent has a bit more emotion as it was his first pen. Ok that last sounds like a bromance, how about them Chargers?? I rotate through my pens using all of them throughout the week for different tasks so they are all put into work, but I have listed the ones that I drift to most often.

Austin_Malone
July 18th, 2014, 09:51 PM
I can't enter because I won a Sailor PIF a few weeks ago, but man is this a nice pen. Doesn't mean I can't participate in the fun though! My daily workhorse is a Pilot Metropolitan.

Brisboy
July 18th, 2014, 11:04 PM
I'm so tempted to enter but I won't because I already have a 45. It's almost identical to this one except for a stainless fine nib. It's a great pen and one of my mainstays at work. Not an entry, but someone should win this great pen.

RuiFromUK
July 18th, 2014, 11:39 PM
This is also not an entry.

This is a fantastic opportunity for anyone who still does not own a Parker 45 to do so as it is a very underrated model when compared to the 51 and 61's and I can only thank you to provide this forum members a chance to own one.

Thank you very much for this PIF.

Chrissy
July 19th, 2014, 04:25 AM
A friend of mine (also a FPGeek) advised me she has a collection of Parker 45's and suggested that I should try one as they are underrated. I have never tried one nor owned one. I have never even seen one. I also didn't know what their nibs were made of because in pictures you can't usually tell.

I usually only use Fine nibs but recently I managed to get a free nib exchange on a gifted, unused Waterman Carene with M nib, that had sat in it's box for a couple of years. So I am currently enjoying that as my workhorse pen with an OF nib. It's unusual for me to use such a nib, but when I write letters to FP friends, I like to use several different pens/inks and that one is now different in an unusual way, so I'm enjoying it's novelty.

I haven't won any FP Geek PIF's but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Murfie
July 19th, 2014, 04:39 AM
A friend of mine (also an FPGeek) advised me she has a collection of Parker 45's and suggested that I should try one as they are underrated.
Ummm, sounds like someone with an FPG user name begining with "m" and ending in "4". She was totally responsible for egging me into a Parker 45 passion which I am having trouble keeping the lid on. But her influence was most welcome and I am enjoying the outcome very much.

krazyklod
July 19th, 2014, 04:50 AM
Hi Murfie.

I just would to start by thanking you for doing this, it's a great pen and definetly one that you could easily sell.

Ok to my entry:
My current workhorse is my Sheaffer Snorkel, it's an amazing pen, looks beautiful and elegant. Has a nice fine/ medium nib and is pretty beaten up. It has been bitten, scratched, dented, posted with a lot of force but writes like a dream and came at a good price. This is perfect for me as a I don't want to worry about scratching it or dropping it as the previous owners clearly have. Plus it's good to know that I can post it without doing any more damage.

Chrissy
July 19th, 2014, 05:47 AM
A friend of mine (also an FPGeek) advised me she has a collection of Parker 45's and suggested that I should try one as they are underrated.
Ummm, sounds like someone with an FPG user name begining with "m" and ending in "4". She was totally responsible for egging me into a Parker 45 passion which I am having trouble keeping the lid on. But her influence was most welcome and I am enjoying the outcome very much.

Yes you are right. :bounce:

Bogon07
July 19th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Not another entry either. I think we are too neighbourly, after all you are just down the road. ;)

Thanks for doing another PiF though, you must have a truckload of good karma coming your way.

I sense a P45 conspiracy between you and m****4 :spy:

Murfie
July 19th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Crikey, I can't understand how you could possibly suspect that! :noidea:

alc3261
July 19th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Crikey, I can't understand how you could possibly suspect that! :noidea:
It is just a PIF-fest.

Murfie
July 19th, 2014, 07:55 PM
It is just a PIF-fest.
Very true. I'm determined not to be out-PIFfed. :bump2:

migo984
July 20th, 2014, 12:55 AM
Very true. I'm determined not to be out-PIFfed. :bump2:

Whoever this m*****4 is, she's one competitive PIF-er, right? Before you know it she will be PIFing a NOS P45 TX!! [1]

[1] Not really!! :rofl:

henkm
July 20th, 2014, 01:54 AM
Not an entry, as I haven't been thanked yet. My workhorse pen is a Sheaffer 100 that my son gave me for my birthday last year. I write nearly everything with that except signatures because those don't look so official with JH terre de feu; for those i use another gift, a hero 1021.

Murfie
July 20th, 2014, 02:32 AM
Not an entry, as I haven't been thanked yet.
Well, you have been thanked once now. Thanks for your contribution. This PIF doesn't finish until next Friday. So post some thoughts or comments in threads in other forums and by Friday you might well qualify. I'll monitor your count and put you in if that happens.

Spikey Mike
July 20th, 2014, 03:04 AM
Thanks to henkm for the information regarding Terre De Feu not being suitable for signatures ... as well as his book recommendation :)

Everyone deserves a shot at a 45 (except me as I have waaay too many!

Murfie
July 20th, 2014, 03:15 AM
Everyone deserves a shot at a 45 (except me as I have waaay too many!
You mean there is hope for me yet? It is actually possible to have WAY too many 45's? :haha:

Spikey Mike
July 20th, 2014, 04:28 AM
LOL ... that was my way of trying to say that I'm not entering simply because I have more then enough 45 Classics and this one should go to someone more deserving - however if you happen to have a Harlequin Green Shield pattern that you want to throw my way I could probably be swayed ... :)

Now, 45's in general ... nope, no sir, no way no how can you ever ever have enough of them, there is always one more out there that you need/want/simply lust after.

Murfie
July 20th, 2014, 04:47 AM
... however if you happen to have a Harlequin Green Shield pattern that you want to throw my way I could probably be swayed
Ha, ha, ha ... in your dreams. But then again it would be nice to be able to be so philanthropic that one could do such a thing.

I specified one of the qualifications of this PIF (about workhorse pens) because of the influence of one special little 45. Some time ago I picked up a NOS olive GT 45 with an F steel nib that needed a little TLC. A session on the micromesh did wonders for it and the first fill of Cult Pens/Diamine Deep Dark Purple cemented a pen/ink relationship that has endured ever since. That pen stays on my desktop as my goto workhorse. I just love that pen. It works on every type of paper from high quality Tomoe River to cheap note paper. I have pens worth hundreds of dollars yet my most important pen is one that cost just a few dollars. I'm sure many FPG members will have many similar stories.

Crikey, this thread is turning into an "Ode for the 45". Lucky it's not FPN or I would be on the verge of being banned. :focus:

Spikey Mike
July 20th, 2014, 05:00 AM
My workhorse pen is a 45 TX (sadly the cap was stolen a little while ago so it has a silver Flighter cap now). The nib on it is a buttery smooth plain old medium 14K and the pen has developed an appetite for Diamine Grape. I have others on my desk, including another 45, a 25 and a 75 but the TX is my pen of choice.

In the office is a filing cabinet ... and in there live all the others. I'm not actually sure how many various 45's are in there!

bc.hiker
July 20th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Just a big round of applause for this fantastic PIF!!!! Not an entry. These Parker 45's are great ~ the lucky winner is in for a real treat!!! Best of luck to all!! :)

migo984
July 20th, 2014, 08:21 AM
There are more "non entries" than participants in this PIF! Come on folks, join in. You could be the winner of this lovely classic Parker with a gold nib. Everyone should have a P45.

kidde
July 20th, 2014, 03:44 PM
I'm at a loss here. Starts with "M" and ends with "4"? And you claim she deals in addicting others to 45's? I know someone who fits that description except for me it was Pilot Preras! (Ohh, wait, she did mention 45's later. She should be ashamed!) I won't even talk about pencils! Or ink! Or toenail paper! She is an enabler of the highest order! She even talked me into actually writing a letter and saying stuff in it!
I say we keep an eye out for her. She sounds like trouble.

Paul

BTW At this moment I have an unhealthy attraction to a Pelikan 120 with a springy EF. I carry it in a case with one of those Preras she talked me into.

Chrissy
July 20th, 2014, 04:38 PM
There are more "non entries" than participants in this PIF! Come on folks, join in. You could be the winner of this lovely classic Parker with a gold nib. Everyone should have a P45.

I hope I'm a participant :crazy_pilot:

Murfie
July 20th, 2014, 04:41 PM
I know someone who fits that description except for me it was Pilot Preras.
The said lady is known to have good tastes in fountain pens, Paul, so her influence is far from detrimental. The Pilot Prera is another very underrated pen.

Murfie
July 20th, 2014, 04:43 PM
I hope I'm a participant
You are definitely in the draw, Chrissy. Keep your fingers crossed ...

rdcalhoon
July 20th, 2014, 06:40 PM
I would love to give this pen a try. It looks like a pen that would suit me nicely.
I haven't settled on a consistent single workhorse pens. I work outdoors a lot on my farm and carry at least two fountain pens and a couple of pocket notebooks. Generally nowadays I carry a FPR Dilli with a fine stub and a dark waterproof ink and a second pen with a bright contrasting color, usually my Kaweco Ice Sport with medium nib, my Pilot Metropolitan with a swapped-in Plumix italic nib, or my Lamy Vista with a 1.1 italic.
Thanks for the chance.

ihaveafountainpen
July 20th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Awesome pen dude. Always loved the 45. I'd love to enter this Pif and give my lonely Parker 25 something to sit beside.

My current work horse is a 1998 Lamy 19 alu. I bought it while on holiday in Belgium and have been using it since. It's suited well to the role because;

- It's a Lamy so it writes awesomely

- It's made of aluminium so it is really durable

- It's cheap enough so I don't have hesitations lending it to folk at school

- It looks awesome.

Thanks for giving everyone a chance to win this pen, I hope whoever wins it enjoys it and uses it.

Murfie
July 21st, 2014, 04:10 AM
Only 4 more days to go on this PIF and only 6 entries at the moment. Come on, how about a few more entries. The odds are high that you could win.

snedwos
July 21st, 2014, 05:00 AM
I caaaaaaaaant.... :(

Murfie
July 21st, 2014, 06:20 AM
I caaaaaaaaant.... :(
OK, I'm a bit thick and will ask the obvious "why not?".

snedwos
July 21st, 2014, 07:44 AM
I won a pif thread recently.

Jeph
July 21st, 2014, 10:09 AM
C'mon people! Go ahead and risk ruining your view of high dollar pens.

Even the steel nib 45's are winners. This is like that, but better.

I have far too many pens, and more than my fair share of 45's, or I would enter myself. If you are reading this you should probably enter. Of course those that have already entered will hate me for saying it. Most of the others already know that I speak the truth.

Brisboy
July 22nd, 2014, 02:28 AM
Still very tempted but I think I'll leave it for others to experience a45. Get into it people.

allanorn
July 22nd, 2014, 12:20 PM
This is a great PIF - I'll enter. Thanks for the opportunity.

My workhorse pen is my Edison Beaumont in Bordeaux Flake with a Binderized EF steel nib. I like it for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, it's a light pen so I can write pages and pages with it. Second, the balance is perfect both posted and unposted. And I admit to liking nails for nibs; the EF nib has been tuned for great flow and enough feedback to remind me that I'm writing on the paper.

The cartridge/converter system works great if I need to change inks; I can usually be writing in 15 minutes or less after an ink change.

Al_S
July 23rd, 2014, 07:37 PM
Another great PIF. My current workhorse is a black Pilot Metropolitan. Being new to Fountain Pens, this was my first pen and though I've had the chance to buy a few more pens, I haven't yet found something that tops it for every day carry. I'd love to try this pen to 1) get a feeling for more of what is out there in the pen world, and 2) continue my quest to find the perfect workhorse fountain pen.

Murfie
July 25th, 2014, 05:33 AM
OK, this PIF is now concluded and the winner has been selected via the auspices of random.org.

The Parker 45 has been won by Chrissy! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Thank you to all entrants and the contributions you made.

henkm
July 25th, 2014, 06:07 AM
Congratulations to Chrissy.

Spikey Mike
July 25th, 2014, 06:16 AM
Congratulations Chrissy - hope you enjoy the pen when it arrives.

Chrissy
July 25th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Thank you so much. I'm thrilled that I will at last actually not only see a Parker 45 but will be able to write with one. I'm over the moon.

Thank you Murfie for your kind and generous gift. :cheers: :dance3:

DMurphy
July 28th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Congratulations!!