PDA

View Full Version : Does one need a black and grey ink?

tarheel1
July 20th, 2014, 04:21 AM
I have been thinking about black and grey inks lately. I had a bottle of Iroshizuku fuyu-syogun, but cant find it. I no longer work for the government and wondering if there really is a need for black or grey inks in my life or in general for civilians. What say you?

Waski_the_Squirrel
July 20th, 2014, 06:43 AM
I've never liked gray ink: it always looks like it's watered down. But, I'm a heavy black ink user. Black is like the classic ink. It works for any situation. My novel is written mostly in black, and I will write letters in black.

RuiFromUK
July 20th, 2014, 07:10 AM
My MB 149 90th Anniversary only uses the MB Permanent Grey ink.

Jeph
July 20th, 2014, 08:03 AM
Most blacks bore me but I do keep one pen loaded with Aurora Black. Sometimes only a black will do in official documents. Those still exist outside of work sometimes.

I still want to find a grey ink that I like just for something different that is not a "color". I have yet to find one that I like for more than a few minutes but I am still looking.

Robert
July 20th, 2014, 08:10 AM
I mostly agree with Mr. Squirrel, but like fuyu-syogun with broader nibs. With nibs leaning towards the fine side it does look washed out. I also like black inks, my current favorite being Iroshizuku take-sumi. Whether you "need" grey and/or black ink is for you to decide.

writingrav
July 20th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Noodler's Lexington Gray its the best I've found after lot's of experimenting.

snedwos
July 20th, 2014, 03:55 PM
I use Diamine Graphite a lot, and have tried and loved samples of the Iro greys.

I have onw black, and won't own another until I've finished the bottle. Iro Take -sumi: it has a veery faint red sheen, it's lovely.

johnus
July 20th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Government.... I think that after all this NSA stuff and the hacking that there will be a lot of offices remembering why they use to require originals be hand typed and signed with Blue Ink!!

tarheel1
July 20th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Blue and black were the only inks we were allowed to use. Usually from a black u.s. government ball point.

ac12
July 20th, 2014, 10:23 PM
My standard ink for decades was BLACK.
I switched to blue 2 years ago, and now I'm considering going back to BLACK again.

Black is black, unless you get it with a tinge of another color.
To me easier to deal with than the different shades of blue I get with the same blue ink in different pens.

Sailor Kenshin
July 21st, 2014, 05:58 AM
Sure you need gray and black inks. You never know whan a color urge will strike.

oldstoat
July 21st, 2014, 06:21 AM
Need? What is this need for new pens and inks? :)If it were just need , we'd all use BPs

Use what you want. I rarely use blacks or greys but sometimes feel the need to do so.

Avalona
July 27th, 2014, 03:05 PM
You never know when you could need a black. I try to keep a Pilot 78G loaded with Noodler's Black Eel just in case I need it. There's always official documents you may need to sign for everyday life too.

Austin_Malone
August 2nd, 2014, 03:42 PM
I bought a bottle of Noodler's Lexington Gray to go in my Parker 51 and I think I'll like it.

I like mango pudding
August 2nd, 2014, 04:58 PM
I have nothing against black. I have a bottle of Diamine Onyx black, but it's not my go to ink. I also have MB Oyster grey too.

I use my rollerball for official documents, because neither of those two are waterproof.

johnus
August 5th, 2014, 06:06 AM
As I age, I would have to say no. Seem to prefer the darker shades of colours better. Right now, Gray wouldn't be a choice.

Tracy Lee
August 5th, 2014, 12:06 PM
I have never had a need for black ink. I like some grey/gray inks, but not many. Isn't that helpful? [emoji12]

a_m
August 5th, 2014, 12:44 PM
I have found very dark color inks straining the eyes while reading pages.

I prefer a color that is darker than gray but a bit lighter shade than perfect dark black.

I end up mixing inks to get the perfect shade

serpent
August 5th, 2014, 12:51 PM
I like grey inks especially MB oyster grey. to me it looks like pencil.

ChrisC
August 5th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Montblanc mystery black watered down is a nice grey.

fpquest
August 5th, 2014, 04:20 PM
I'm a fan of greys and Fuyo-syogun is always in a pen or two.

Quantum Sailor
August 5th, 2014, 05:52 PM
I prefer black or a very dark blue black ink. I have been debating on trying out some of the darker grey's though. I use Lamy black right now and Iroshikuzu shin-kai. I use it mainly for notes of things I'm reading so its easier to go back and read the darker writing.

rdcalhoon
August 5th, 2014, 08:58 PM
I started out as a black-black ink person and rapidly expanded to lots of colors. Now that I am happily trying a bunch of brown ink samples I should probably not say I'll never want a gray ink. I can be confident I'll get into turquoise and pink first though, so probably not any time soon.

johniem
August 6th, 2014, 02:28 PM
I made three promises to myself when I retired. Never use black ink again, never wear a tie again, and never wear a suit again. But I now have two black inks (Noodler's black, PR Velvet Black), I have bought two suits since that time, and occasionally wear a tie. I also have Noodler's Zhivago which is either green or black, depending on my mood, and PR Ebony Purple, which usually shows as black, but only I recognize it as purple. I think only the individual can decide whether he/she needs or wants black. After all, black is a color.

Brisboy
August 8th, 2014, 03:39 AM
I only use black as the mood takes me, or to sign documents etc. I have some J. Herbin gris nuage which is a lovely grey for shading but not quite dark enough for official purposes. I only have Parker quink black but I'm sure I'll be seeking out more interesting blacks soon. Ink is good! ;)