PDA

View Full Version : Jinhao 599 Model Differences

KBeezie
July 20th, 2014, 09:23 PM
Disclaimer: I received these from Pens N More (http://www.pensnmore.com/jinhao599A) (Links to the 599A on their site) as a review sample at no cost to myself.

There are currently three different Jinhao 599 models that I am aware of. The biggest difference between them is the nib, ink window and body/cap material, otherwise they're nearly identical.

http://kbeezie.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/nibs.jpg

The original version came in a metal cap and barrel with a plastic section. The nib features a lamy inspired shape. The barrel lacks an ink window, and includes a metallic Jinhao brand printing. I have reviewed this specific model here (http://kbeezie.com/review-jinhao-599-metal-in-lime-green/).

Then came the 599 with a barrel that resembled the Safari even more. The cap and barrel were changed to plastic instead of brass, making the pen lighter and mostly plastic. Also included is the ink window. The lamy inspired nib was no longer used, replacing it instead is a classic open style nib like you would find on some of the smaller Jinhao and Baoer pens. (However some models of the 599A might also include the lamy inspired nib, but I've yet to receive one personally in that configuration).

The latest revision is nearly identical to the second in every way except one main difference. The nib on the latest version is a hooded one with a smaller line width which looks to be an extra fine.

http://kbeezie.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/barrels.jpg

Appearance wise when capped all three versions look roughly the same outside of the branding and ink window.

The section between all three versions appear to be nearly identical with the same size and shape.

Also because the section and cap appear to be identical dimensions, the parts appear to be swappable. The brass cap is thinner in material, however the inner cap which can be seen easily in the translucent models appear to be the same as well. This means I can do things like put the 1st generation section w/ lamy-inspired nib onto a 3nd generation barrel with the ink window, and 2rd generation translucent cap on top to end up with this odd looking contraption. (Or you could simply put the section from a first generation section/nib/feed onto either a second or third generation body and cap).

http://kbeezie.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/mixed.jpg
http://kbeezie.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/nibswap.jpg

Personally I prefer the original version, especially with that lamy-inspired nib. But I can see the appeal of the later generations being lighter in weight, closer to that of the Safari it copies.

http://kbeezie.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/all_900.jpg

Given the number of colors you can get, I imagine someone will come up with an interesting combination.

Edit

Pens N' More has actually provided me with a promo code specifically for FPGeeks members to get $2 off the purchase of a Jinhao 599A. They're currently listed as $7.99 with free shipping ($5.99 with the promo code). The code is FPG599A and there is no limit on order quantity. The promo code is good from July 16th until July 27th. They ship within the same day (or next business day if ordered after hours).

mrcharlie
July 21st, 2014, 11:47 AM
My metal body/cap 599 has a translucent section while yours is the same color as the pen's cap and body. The nib/feed on it is not nearly as wet/free flowing as you describe yours but it is good enough.

I bought 4 599s; one metal with crimp on style nib, one solid plastic with conventional nib, one translucent body/cap plastic with conventional nib, and one of the solid color plastic with hooded EF nib. They all work with no problems.

The metal body/cap pen's nib is closer in shape to a Pilot Varsity or BIC Disposable nib, but isn't exactly the same as either one. From looking at Lamy nib pictures, the Lamy nib's shape is noticeably different although it shares the crimp-on style of attachment to the feed.

Here is the metal body flat/crimped nib pen with translucent section.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l187/mistercharlie/fpgeeks/jinhao599metal_zps159875ae.jpg

KBeezie
July 21st, 2014, 01:40 PM
With the metal version I found that they'll have almost every section available, since they're the same thru all the models. I imagine yours has the black translucent grip, because they don't appear to have a gold plastic model of the pen body/cap, so there was no matching section to use with it. Far as Lamy's nib shape, I'm aware, thus why it's lamy-inspired and not so much lamy-styled, it's pretty clear which brand/pen they were attempting to imitate.

I do wish the metal ones were more available thru local retailers though.

In regards to wetness and such, did you make sure to clean and flush the pen/nib/feed before using? The residue left over from the manufacturing process has a way of affecting ink flow, and I always clean my pens thoroughly before putting ink in them for the first time.

mrcharlie
July 22nd, 2014, 02:52 PM
In regards to wetness and such, did you make sure to clean and flush the pen/nib/feed before using?

I don't remember doing that and it is not my standard practice. It has not been my general experience that pens not flushed with water or pen flush flow differently the first time versus after being flushed, but I have had one or two that did behave like that. It has been my general experience that two pens of the same brand/model/nib size will not flow exactly the same. It may not be statistically meaningful; just my small sample size experience that they two 599s with conventional nibs flowed better than the crimp on one.

I have other clear or translucent pens, but two of the 599s are the first I've had with translucent or clear sections, and I find that pretty neat in a way I did not expect to appreciate or care about.

KBeezie
July 22nd, 2014, 07:12 PM
In regards to wetness and such, did you make sure to clean and flush the pen/nib/feed before using?

I don't remember doing that and it is not my standard practice. It has not been my general experience that pens not flushed with water or pen flush flow differently the first time versus after being flushed, but I have had one or two that did behave like that. It has been my general experience that two pens of the same brand/model/nib size will not flow exactly the same. It may not be statistically meaningful; just my small sample size experience that they two 599s with conventional nibs flowed better than the crimp on one.

I have other clear or translucent pens, but two of the 599s are the first I've had with translucent or clear sections, and I find that pretty neat in a way I did not expect to appreciate or care about.

Cleaning them out before first use have been a standard practice of mine simply because it rules out things like debris, oil and other residue as part of being an issue. That way when I do have an issue, it's probably something else since I already cleaned it (as opposed to testing, having to dump the ink out, clean it, refill etc).

Also by pre-cleaning, the behavior of the pen won't gradually change over the course of the week as the ink washes out the residue.

By the way I'm giving away 8 of the colors above here : http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/7933-Multiple-Jinhao-599s-Sheafer-Skripsert-Reaktors-and-Serwex-EDs?goto=newpost

KBeezie
July 23rd, 2014, 03:03 AM
A write sample of the three different types of nibs, along with a Platinum Extra-Fine (14K) and Goulet/Jowo Extra-Fine (Steel) for comparison.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/Jinhao599/compare_write.jpg

The hooded one wrote better than I expected, the crimped one was pretty much just about perfect out of the box, but the traditional one required some adjustment (out of the 10, it was also the one with the loosest feed and nib, so had to crimp the back a little bit to get it to stay in more firmly, and some work with micro-mesh/mylar to get it smoothed and flowing).

After the above write sample I took the hooded nib to some micro-mesh and mylar paper, now it's amazingly smooth (and it doesn't appear to miss a stroke), so it seems that small nib responds rather well to some extra smoothing (though it was pretty good as is).

But all three nibs styles are very close to each other in regards to line thickness. They're all roughly western extra-fine as compared to a typical Jowo nib (which is also pretty close to a Japanese Fine based on F Nib on the Pilot Metropolitan).

snedwos
July 26th, 2014, 04:50 PM
With the metal version I found that they'll have almost every section available, since they're the same thru all the models. I imagine yours has the black translucent grip, because they don't appear to have a gold plastic model of the pen body/cap, so there was no matching section to use with it. Far as Lamy's nib shape, I'm aware, thus why it's lamy-inspired and not so much lamy-styled, it's pretty clear which brand/pen they were attempting to imitate.

I do wish the metal ones were more available thru local retailers though.

In regards to wetness and such, did you make sure to clean and flush the pen/nib/feed before using? The residue left over from the manufacturing process has a way of affecting ink flow, and I always clean my pens thoroughly before putting ink in them for the first time.
The thing with the section on the metallic version coul be to do with cloning the style of the Al-Star, which has the smoky transparent section too.

KBeezie
July 26th, 2014, 05:44 PM
The thing with the section on the metallic version coul be to do with cloning the style of the Al-Star, which has the smoky transparent section too.

While that's possible I think it's more likely that they simply used whatever sections were available in plastic since almost all their sections tend to be plastic (easier to mold plastic to house their feeds than to come up with a metallic/brass section). Especially since the section is too thin to effectively do what they did with some of their larger pens (ie: a hard rubber/plastic with a plastic insert to house the feed).

But either way it just... works.

mrcharlie
July 26th, 2014, 09:02 PM

I think all the other colors of metal body/cap have an opaque section that is the same color (although the color match is a bit loose on a few of them, for instance the dark blue body) as the body and cap. The metallic "Golden" color is the only one like this that I've seen. Intentional or not, it does better match the Al-Star than the rest of the metal barrel/cap colors.

Sailor Kenshin
July 27th, 2014, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the review, KB! You could create some interesting Frankenpens!

I have the plastic, open-nibbed type because I NEEDED an Orange Crush colored pen. It's fine for its price...and I never clean or flush either, because when I test pens I want a worst-case scenario.

The metal ones have some nice colors but I haven't sprung for one yet. I may now, knowing they have a plastic section.
Two of the hoodeds are on their way from China. One was a whole three dollars.

davefeldman
August 12th, 2014, 10:45 AM
I've had a number of Jinhao pens over the years. My experience is that they're all decent writers at the end of the day. But, they often come shipped with inconsistencies. Soaking in some slightly soapy water often does the trick, believe it or not, if the pen has problematic flow a the beginning. If not that, I usually tune the nib a bit with some very fine micromesh pads.

johnus
August 13th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Buying the 599 gave me weeks of fun for less than the price of a good steak meal.
Bidding on eBay , being the high bidder at $1.88 +- including shipping, waiting for the posts from China. And wondering each time "how can they do this??)
Picking an ink , fine tuning the pen, using it.
And doing this 10x for under 25$. Where can you have that much fun for 25$??