PDA

View Full Version : Mont Blanc Leonardo Red Chalk with 3 nibs/2 Pens, and three different writing papers

Bling72
July 26th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Hello again readers. This is a Mont Blanc Limited Edition Fountain pen ink that comes in a beautiful
White presentation box with a sketch of one of Leonardos pieces. Some of the embroidery is in Red Gold, Leonardo is in Silver.

Much of Leonardos work was done using a Red Chalk colour, hence the reason behind this colour.

I have no personal disrepect for Leonardo, or anyone famous that any company has ever tributed an ink in their honour. I simply am not a fan of red brown in general. As a matter in fact this ink looks more towards the brown side and very little on the red at all.

I wanted variety of inks more than it is a "Limited Edition", nor because it is Leonardos ink.

No problem at all for those who love this ink. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Mont Blanc do not make poor quality inks. I simply would not be getting more bottles of this than other colours.

For me personally I must really like the colour. The Midnight Blue and Irish Green look gorgeous on white and white-cream coloured paper.

This Red Chalk ink is complimented by the Quill Marbletone Cream 100gsm paper.

It is likely to look nicer on brown toned paper which would likeky be the coloured sketch paper & canvas that Leonardo himself used.

I say variety of ink adds spice and options for your calligraphy so this ink would make a nice edition.

Any feedback welcome.

:)

Marsilius
July 26th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the review and pictures. I have some, and have mixed feelings. I enjoy the color quite a lot. But, like Herbin Terre de feu and Cafe des Iles, it looks better from a wet pen. In a dry pen it looks a little too pale for me, while its richness comes out when laid thick on the paper.

These are all inks that look lovely on the page, but as I write, I keep feeling like I ought to bear down more to lay a thicker line. As a result, I don't like writing with them as much as I like seeing them afterward.

But that is a personal preference, of course, and a little bit hard to explain the difference between their look and feel. Something similar to singing or playing in a dead acoustic: it makes you want to sing or play louder . . . which in most cases won't make it resonate more. (It's always more fun to sing in the bathroom than in a hotel room with acoustic tiling.)

In short, I love the color, but I keep wanting to thicken it up as I write.

Bling72
July 26th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Thanks Marsilius.

I understand your point and analogy. Personally
I won't be getting any other brand if anything close to brown. It is simply
not a primary colour people use for signatures or formal documents. Just is not a colour that can jump out and grab you.

I do have bottles of 90th Anniversary but it is grey, another colour I simply cannot get overjoyed with. Look, it is just as fun to have such additional colours in your stock as writing with your favourite colours. The other following colours I just wouldnt get because I simply hate the colours,

Grey
Pink
Yellow
Orange
Brown
Bright lime greens
Plain black
Silver
Gold
Any wine inks

An ink has to be a favourite to help inspire you to pick up the pen and write more.

Marsilius
July 26th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Thanks Marsilius.

I understand your point and analogy. Personally
I won't be getting any other brand if anything close to brown. It is simply
not a primary colour people use for signatures or formal documents. Just is not a colour that can jump out and grab you.

An ink has to be a favourite to help inspire you to pick up the pen and write more.

I love the color blue, but almost never use it in a pen. My favorite brown now is Sailor Jentle Doyou, which is almost indistinguishable from black. I bet you would like their Miraui, which is a deep dark blue green. That is a blue I can handle in a pen.