PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to FP Geeks Admin Dan Smith

tiffanyhenschel
July 26th, 2014, 09:23 PM
After some less than stellar experiences with nibmeisters a few years ago, I have trusted no one but John Mottishaw or Mike Masuyama with my nibs. At one point I even spent $$$ and a six month wait to have John salvage nibs someone else had ruined. I mention this to illustrate that I don't give recommendations lightly. If I send a gold nib to someone and pay them to grind it for me, I am very picky about the results.

I've wanted some nib work done for a while, though, and when I heard that Mike M. wasn't coming to the Dallas show again this year, I knew I was going to have to make some hard decisions.

I contacted Dan a few weeks ago and asked him to do the next to impossible: Take my very wet, fat, medium Falcon nib and grind it down to an ultra extra fine. Finer than a Vanishing Point extra fine. Make it fine enough to not bleed through Bible paper. And oh yes, I hate dry nibs, so make it very narrow but still wet.

I didn't even have a FP nib fine enough to send him a writing sample, so I wrote the sample with an extra fine dip pen nib.

After very fast, friendly service, my Falcon returned to my postal box last week. I've spent the last several days putting it through its paces. Cursive, print, ovals, diagonals, up strokes, downstrokes, side strokes, slow writing, fast writing, good paper, horrid paper, Bible paper. It took everything I put it through and passed with flying colors.

I am completely satisfied and highly recommend Dan for your nib work. I contacted him by email -- dan@fpgeeks.com.

brewsky
July 26th, 2014, 10:11 PM
Please post detailed samples for us. I am excited to see the result.

tiffanyhenschel
July 26th, 2014, 10:22 PM

I will gladly do that tomorrow afternoon when the light is better. My camera can't handle close ups in artificial light.

Cob
July 27th, 2014, 08:52 AM

I will gladly do that tomorrow afternoon when the light is better. My camera can't handle close ups in artificial light.

Looking forward to the samples, Tiffany.

My camera cannot handle anything in any light!

best wishes

Cob

tiffanyhenschel
July 27th, 2014, 09:05 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/27/avu5y6e2.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/27/usa9ehe6.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/27/byjysahu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/27/y6ynehyv.jpg

Here are a few shots. The Bible pages are the front and back of an annotated page. Annotations from the Falcon are in green. As you can see, there is no bleed through to the other side. There is light ghosting, but it's not obtrusive in any way. I could probably eliminate that with a drier ink if I wanted.

The other samples are before and after lists in a Banditapple notebook using Kung te Cheng ink. (The "after" sample has strike throughs with another ink.)

Even more impressive is that the nib is smooth. On a point this small, that is not easy.

Tracy Lee
July 27th, 2014, 11:07 AM
After some less than stellar experiences with nibmeisters a few years ago, I have trusted no one but John Mottishaw or Mike Masuyama with my nibs. At one point I even spent $$$ and a six month wait to have John salvage nibs someone else had ruined. I mention this to illustrate that I don't give recommendations lightly. If I send a gold nib to someone and pay them to grind it for me, I am very picky about the results.

I've wanted some nib work done for a while, though, and when I heard that Mike M. wasn't coming to the Dallas show again this year, I knew I was going to have to make some hard decisions.

I contacted Dan a few weeks ago and asked him to do the next to impossible: Take my very wet, fat, medium Falcon nib and grind it down to an ultra extra fine. Finer than a Vanishing Point extra fine. Make it fine enough to not bleed through Bible paper. And oh yes, I hate dry nibs, so make it very narrow but still wet.

I didn't even have a FP nib fine enough to send him a writing sample, so I wrote the sample with an extra fine dip pen nib.

After very fast, friendly service, my Falcon returned to my postal box last week. I've spent the last several days putting it through its paces. Cursive, print, ovals, diagonals, up strokes, downstrokes, side strokes, slow writing, fast writing, good paper, horrid paper, Bible paper. It took everything I put it through and passed with flying colors.

I am completely satisfied and highly recommend Dan for your nib work. I contacted him by email -- dan@fpgeeks.com.

I heartily second this endorsement. My pens sent to Dan are like getting brand new pens in return. You just won't be sorry so if you need nib work - get 'em to Dan!!

jacksterp
July 27th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Very impressive.

Thanks for taking the time to show us Dan's excellent work!

tiffanyhenschel
July 27th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Very impressive.

Thanks for taking the time to show us Dan's excellent work!

:)

Not many people will need or even want a nib this fine, but I wanted to highlight this option for those who do.

snedwos
July 27th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Looking forward to getting my pen back. Just waiting on a cheque to clear so I can pay him!

dannzeman
July 27th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Tiffany, thank you so much for the kind words! I'm flattered! It's so nice to hear feedback like this.

If anyone would like more details please visit fpgeeks.com/nib-services/

tiffanyhenschel
July 27th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Tiffany, thank you so much for the kind words! I'm flattered! It's so nice to hear feedback like this.

If anyone would like more details please visit fpgeeks.com/nib-services/

You're welcome, Dan. Tracy Lee praised your work on her nibs in a letter, so that was the beginning. I have another nib that I will be sending later. I just haven't decided what I want done with it yet.

snedwos
July 30th, 2014, 03:38 PM
I got my Jinhao back just now. I've already filled it up and merrily wasted a couple of sheets of Tomoe River just scribbling. I'm so happy!

The nib is much softer than I expected it to be, I can get it out to ~1.5x width without much pressure. The feed keeps up admirably (a merit of Jinhao), and the cursive italic nib is just the right width/depth ratio. It gives a similar appearance I get from a Lamy 1.1, but narrower, and noticeably smoother.

Thanks Dan! A waste of $20 has turned into $60 very very well spent! Because the pen looks freakin' awesome, and writes like it too.

dannzeman
July 30th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Glad to hear it, Sam!