PDA

View Full Version : Hugo's amazing tape - neat find for bundling paper!

Plume145
July 27th, 2014, 09:11 PM
I recently discovered an alternative to paper clips, bulldog/binder clips, and staples for bundling paper. It's a reusable and repositionable tape that works by clinging to itself and a bunch of other materials and surfaces, mainly anything smooth and not too matte.You just wrap it around whatever you want to hold together, stretch gently so the ends overlap, and press them down so they stick. To remove you just grab that top edge and peel off. Check out their little video (http://www.amazingtape.com/watch-our-video/) for more, it's much better than me explainig at length :-)

I actually first saw it on a craft blog, as a way to keep spooled supplies (ribbon, thread, etc) from unravelling. That alone was enough to convince me to try it, but I figured I'd watch the video anyway. When they showed some documents held together with tape around the middle,I really sat up and took notice because I use loose-leaf a lot and it seemed perfect for that. As I'm sure you know, loose leaf refills are a total PITA to store: original packaging is too flimsy, folders obscure contents, and rubber bands or binder clips are fiddly and prone to making or creasing the paper.

It took a little finessing to find some because their online shop isn't terribly responsive, and most ebay sellers charged a fortune on shipping, but eventually I found this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUGOS-AMAZING-TAPE-50-FEET-15M-EMBROIDERY-SEWING-THREAD-SAVER-SELF-CLING-/121163821216?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c35ed30a0) sewing supplies seller who prices reasonably. US customers can probably get it cheaper than that though (as usual, heh).

I got it a few weeks ago and omg,I can't remember how I got by without it! It's earned a permanent place on my desktop, which not many things do. When it's in place, it's a lot like those clear plastic retainer bands around some papers - especially the more posh ones, like letter writing stationery where you have a clear band holding all the envelopes together, say. So it's totally unobtrusive, as secure as a rubber band or binder clip but non-marking. Simple, neat, reusable without being another thing to keep track of, cheap without looking tacky. Just perfect.
It's completely resolved the loose leaf storage woes! So much nicer not to be wrestling with all the different refills and how to keep the little blighters separate lol.

Size-wise, I went with the 1" width because I wanted a middle ground, not the biggest or the smallest, and it works well enough but only for the smaller sizes. I've used it for up to a B5 length, but that's kind of stretching it (no pun intended!) I think the real limit is the length of a B6, then it's perfect. If you're planning to use paper larger than B5, or smaller but a huge stack, I think you'd be better off with the 2" or 2.375 (and yeah, isn't that a totally weird size?! Why not make the next size up from 2" be 3" or even 4"? *shakes head*)

Anyway, I thought this might be useful - call it a pay it forward since I got it from someone else myself :P

TMLee
July 27th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Hmmm ....

Interesting, :)

How does it fare with fabric? ( say my journals that are cloth covered? )

Plume145
July 28th, 2014, 04:12 PM
ahh, I don't really know for sure, I've actually only used it with paper so far (and the ribbon too, a little). I think I remember seeing it used with fabric from when I researched it back when I first heard of it - like around quilting blogs and such (IDK, I'm not into sewing crafts). If I had to guess you should be good for a journal. After all a journal is a pretty solid thing, even a soft cover journal, it's not all floppy and soft like a bunch of fabric.

I don't know though. It's not like I sell the stuff, I just bought it, liked it, thought someone else might, so I shared! So, all I can tell you for sure is how *I* use it :-)