PDA

View Full Version : An accidental pen posse... (nothing new to those who have met up with pens...)

scrivelry
July 28th, 2014, 09:58 AM
It was no accident that I met up with a writing friend yesterday, we do this quite frequently.

It was no accident that she brought along a handful of fountain pens; she had come by them sometime over the past number of months as having been a relatives , and "oh, you're interested in pens, you should have these."

However, there we were in the Panera and I realized we were a Pen Posse of two, and that I, even though I know very little compared to many people on this and other forums, was able to help out a friend who had suddenly become a fellow pen person identify what she had, let her know which ones would be easiest to have repaired, and tell her a little bit about what she had, which was a collection of pens, all from her ancestors, spanning about four generations from first pen to her, and the gamut from nice third tier pens to a pen probably given as a graduation or other important day gift a number of years ago. (Nothing was a very expensive pen by expensive pen standards, but we both felt the magic of a heritage being passed down from at least one ancestor who died before she was born.)

There were practical aspects, of course - suggestions on how to store them and what to have worked on first, she and I agree she needs a modern daily carry and since the youngest pen is about her age that she wants to start at some point "filling in" the years between then and now. I showed her the pens I had with me. I've shown her pens of mine before, but having just discussed hers put mine in a different context. (Mine were not particularly interesting pens, but they were more interesting in being mostly modern and cheap and therefore different from what she had, differences I am not sure registered before...)

I really strongly suggest meeting up with other pen people if you haven't, even if it is only one person, even if you only each bring one pen. And I strongly suggest turning friends to the ink side, if you have any that seem turnable - it's a whole new fun with the same friend!