PDA

View Full Version : Random Broken Tipping Material..GAH!

fountainpenkid
June 19th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Well, I was very happy with my new DJ Vacumatic until two days ago....only a day after it arrived in the mail repaired by Danny Fudge. My mom needed to write something down, so I gave her my new pen-she wrote a little grocery list or something, and then screwed the cap back on. When I uncapped the pen later in the day, it didn't write...then I looked at the nib: 645 Somehow, a whole piece of tipping material fell off? This is very wierd....anyone have any explanations?

Will

KrazyIvan
June 19th, 2012, 09:18 AM
No explanation but man, you have unusually bad luck with pens. :blink:

Rich L
June 19th, 2012, 09:48 AM
What a cool grind! Patent it!

manoeuver
June 19th, 2012, 11:51 AM
aah! stay away from my pens!

fountainpenkid
June 19th, 2012, 04:02 PM
I am not happy--three of my five pens are broken in some way now.... I contacted Danny Fudge, who said I would not be able to get a refund. I'll see if someone has a new nib to fit it :(

manoeuver
June 19th, 2012, 05:02 PM
You definitely need like thirty more pens. Just sayin.

fountainpenkid
June 19th, 2012, 05:32 PM
I have a zero dollar budget..but it is growing...by the end of this summer I hope to make $400 from this gardening job I have....every pen I get is a big hassle with my dad...

KrazyIvan
June 19th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Well yeah, with all the broken ones I would be the same way. :p

etoyoc
June 19th, 2012, 07:37 PM
you have as much luck with pens as I do with digital cameras... What's up with that? ::confused:

fountainpenkid
June 19th, 2012, 08:01 PM
God! You guys jinxed me!!! You probably won't believe this, but, I just was emptying out the Debunante Vacumatic to prepare it for shipment, an the filler no longer expels ink :( GAHHHHH!!!! I now have ONE working pen!!! The filler is covered under Tyler's warranty luckly, but he won't be fixing it until september....gosh! Maybe I should stay away from vacs--the fillers wear out too fast if you use them for school every day...

Will

FP_GaF
June 20th, 2012, 12:01 AM
I know my fellow pen brothers are only joking but don't feel pressured into growing your pen collection or assortment if your budget doesn't allow it. None of us has enough money to fulfil all or even most of our dreams. Patience and tradeoff are our constant companions.

If you need a reliable workhorse for school than maybe a contemporary pen would be an alternative, a Noodler's Ahab or a Lamy Safari for instance. I use them almost every day for their workhorse qualities but also because the are very nice and lots of fun. If it has to be vintage a Parker 45 has proved very reliable to me.

Vintage pens are great fun but can be a hassle when it comes to everyday reliable use. Unless they are NOS (and thus very expensive) they have been used and may have experienced rough times. And the tip is likely to be the one single part that is strained the most.

These are just some thoughts, I am not trying to lecture you. Pens are personal and only you know what you need or like.

manoeuver
June 20th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Good advice from Mr. GaF.

If you're killing pens, may I humbly suggest a new TWSBI Vac700. Sturdy, and comes with a warranty!

fountainpenkid
June 20th, 2012, 08:02 AM
No Vac 700 for me...it is way too big for my hand (but I do love the looks and the filler). I'll wait till the mini comes out. And when I had my blue m400, it was an excellent workhorse pen. Hopefully by the end of this month I will have a m400 (White Tortoise) again...these pens really fit my hand perfectly! I could consider an Ahab as a everywhere pen, but some people have had horrible results with these. I don't like the clip on it either. And the SAfari doesn't hold enough ink...I don't buy c/c pens, because they last up until the second to last class of the day, and then, in the last class (this year it was honors bio) they run out of ink. The pilot custom 73 has a special converter (it holds just as much ink as an m400), but I don't know if I like the design that much.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Will

etoyoc
June 20th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Have you considered an eye dropper such as the Wality 69 or the Ranga model 4? OK, the Ranga 4 would probably be too big if the TWSBI 700 is too big. Eye droppers hold a ton of ink, but if you are writing notes in a flurry and didn't take care with the pen, they do have a tendency to burp ink when low. The thicker walled ebonite pens such as the Deccan ambassador and Ranga 4 do not burp like the thinner acrylic pens do.

Another option if you like the Ahab is to stick a Knox nib in there instead of the flex. How about about one of the cheaper piston pens from Kevin at Fountain pen revolution? I haven't had any problems from my Serwex pens other than the one I dropped and had to fix the nib. These would be cheaper pens and not such a hastle if they are lost or broken. When does your next semester start?

KrazyIvan
June 20th, 2012, 10:31 AM
I am with others that say you need a modern kick around pen. I don't carry around my vintage pens for day-to-day use. Maybe a Zebra V-301 or Platinum Preppy would work better for you.

kps
June 20th, 2012, 12:48 PM
My mom needed to write something down, so I gave her my new pen-she wrote a little grocery list or something, and then screwed the cap back on. When I uncapped the pen later in the day, it didn't write...then I looked at the nib: Somehow, a whole piece of tipping material fell off? This is very wierd....anyone have any explanations?
Explanation: she pressed ridiculously hard, or dropped it.

manoeuver
June 20th, 2012, 04:23 PM
I am with others that say you need a modern kick around pen. I don't carry around my vintage pens for day-to-day use. Maybe a Zebra V-301 or Platinum Preppy would work better for you.An ed preppy would prolly last you a couple days between fills. You'd have to paint it or something, it ain't exactly elegant.

KrazyIvan
June 20th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Who wants elegant for school? I am just suggesting practicality and economy.

etoyoc
June 20th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Well if you want indestructible... how about a rotring core? But yes practical and economical would be an ED or piston pen from Noodlers or Serwex. Maybe even a Reform 1745.

manoeuver
June 20th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Who wants elegant for school? I am just suggesting practicality and economy.
I think the Kid wants elegant based on the pens he's got and uses already. I like my preppy (and have another on the way) but aside from its practicality, economy and xfine nib there's precious little else about it to savor.

KrazyIvan
June 21st, 2012, 01:53 PM
I think the Kid wants elegant based on the pens he's got and uses already. I like my preppy (and have another on the way) but aside from its practicality, economy and xfine nib there's precious little else about it to savor.

Yeah but I think he may want to rethink that until he can figure out a way to not break pens. :crazy_pilot:

manoeuver
June 21st, 2012, 02:10 PM
Freakin A!

KrazyIvan
June 21st, 2012, 02:36 PM
Freakin A!

???? :blink:

manoeuver
June 21st, 2012, 04:55 PM
ahem, I mean I agree.

fountainpenkid
June 21st, 2012, 08:39 PM
Yes. I like fountain pens because of their beautiful designs, amazing writing, and overall feel. A preppy isn't gonna cut it. It feels too much like a roller ball or ball point. I think you are right though....modern pens for school, keep the vintages at home--unless it is a P51 or a Aurora 88 :) I don't have a problem with carrying around an expensive pen like an m400 (it worked great at school--large ink capacity, light for long note taking sessions, and beautiful, of course. . I don't loose them...but modern is probably the way to go for school.

And about my mom---(back on to topic)I saw her use then pen and screw it back on...she did nothing behind my back. She just screwed the cap of and on. Maybe a bit tight, but when I unscrewed it again, it wasn't that hard.

Will

fountainpenkid
July 2nd, 2012, 12:10 PM
Good news! David I. has a nib he can sell me!

Will