PDA

View Full Version : Moleskines from Vietnam?

carlos.q
July 30th, 2014, 02:34 PM
You know the story: Moleskine is the over-hyped notebook made in China that is usually FP unfriendly. However, on a recent visit to a Barnes & Noble bookstore I noticed a Moleskine identified as made in Vietnam. Later I found more vietnamese made Moleskines in a Target superstore.

Since paper made in Vietnam is usually FP friendly, are any of these notebooks also FP friendly? Has anyone tried one of these Moleskines that are not made in China?

snedwos
July 30th, 2014, 11:27 PM
I have some little red ones that seem ok. Not stellar, but definitely usable.

KBeezie
July 31st, 2014, 12:08 AM
Since paper made in Vietnam is usually FP friendly

Vietnamese paper seems to be one of the worst ones out there, inconsistent for liquid ink (Bandit Apple that's hand-made in Vietnam seems decent though (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/7148-Bandit-Apple-Carnet-Handy-(Hanoi-Red)-Lots-of-Pictures)). You're probably thinking Brazil when it comes to the 'friendly' paper. In general I do not like moleskine for fountain pens, even they agree, but won't really ever advise people that their products work best with ballpoints and pencils (and not with rollerballs and fountain pens).

Dear Mr Blessing,

We have received your claim and sorry for the inconvenience occurred and also for the delay in answering you back.

Moleskine notebooks are not especially designed for fountain pens. We are considering the idea of producing specific notebooks for fountain pen lovers, but we are not planning to do so in the near future. However good results can be achieved on existing Moleskine paper with a fine, dry fountain pen. The finer and drier, the better. The best inks are the traditional, quick drying ones. A good ink from a fine fountain pen doesn't spread and bleed in an indiscriminate manner, nor turn a fine line into a medium. Instead, the ink dyes select paper fibres and colour radiates from each letter and bleeds through only with the wettest of pens. We are researching more into this direction with a new line of roller pens whose gel ink is specifically designed for Moleskine paper.
We will send you a new product as replacement.

Thanks for your feedback and kind regards

agnese caccianiga
customer care

moleskine Spa
Viale Stelvio 66
20159 Milano

The solution of course is to do what you normally do with poor paper, but fortunately you can usually choose not to use Moleskine :P. (and in regards to their dry/fine... I was getting spiked feathering even with some of my finest nibs that are around what a Japanese EF/XXF would be on some Moleskine Cahier paper, usable but not really peasant, when I get close to a western fine, it gets unusable.).

*The above response was June 20th, in response to my February claim, haven't received whatever replacement they speak of, may PIF it if I get it.