PDA

View Full Version : Outlining effect with Visconti Bordeaux

mhosea
July 30th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Bought some Visconti Bordeaux yesterday (running out of choices of inks at my local Paradise Pen, which I visit when I'm at that mall for another purpose). It's reminiscent of Diamine Red Dragon but not all that close. I noticed that it has that peculiar outlining effect that I get from Visconti Turquoise as well. Here are a couple of shots under different lighting conditions.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3879/14809303463_c76ff21a61_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/oyDxYk)

Jeph
July 31st, 2014, 03:09 AM
I guess you could call that a feature! It probably has something to do with the suspension of the mixture. I could see that as neat in a broadish nib and problematic in a really fine nib. But at any rate you have reminded me to re-ink something with some Red Dragon, which I like.

mhosea
July 31st, 2014, 05:51 AM
Dry time is fairly long: I'm seeing around 30 seconds on Rhodia, and it doesn't show up where the stroke is on the dry side. My guess is that it has to do with the migration of the wet ink during the drying process. The edges of the stroke dry first, and the dried edge attracts the liquid from the still-wet areas, leading to a higher concentration of ink along the edges. As I'm looking now, I don't see it much on absorbent paper, where dry time is naturally lower, just a little bit with the dot over an i. The pen I have it in here at work is a cursive italic, so I can sort of investigate what would happen with a fine nib without actually inking one up. It would seem that the width of the darker edges is narrower with a narrower stroke, so I would surmise that the finer the pen, the less pronounced the effect will be to the naked eye. Consequently, I don't think the outlining per se will be a problem. The relatively-long drying time might be a deal killer for some folks, though.

Pennanngalan
July 31st, 2014, 04:11 PM
Bonus shading effects? I like it, seems like a neat little extra.

rdcalhoon
July 31st, 2014, 04:57 PM
Gourmetpens showed the same outlining with Kaweco Paradise Blue and wide nibs, but not in other nibs. Your ink migration idea during heavy ink deposit makes good sense to me.